Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are the SV Infinity 2011 plastic grips gone for good?

olp73

Are the SV Infinity 2011 plastic grips gone for good? At first I thought that the new steel/alu grips were an additional thing, but now I understand that they are out of production.

I liked the plastic grips for several reasons:

• they were easy to customize to your liking
  • they accepted different type of magazines
  • they accepted different types of magwells
  • they were "cheep" in compared to the alternatives.

…..and they did not crack as frequently.

I want them back…….I know you can make STI grip work, but they are not identical.

Edited by olp73

I want them back…….I know you can make STI grip work, but they are not identical.

There are also the SPS brand grips made in Italy. But I hope SV keeps polymer as an option at least.

Hello: I had a an old SVI frame kit and the grip had a sticker on it over the STI logo that was ground down some. I think if they wanted to make some more plastic grips they could with just a little work on the mold. Thanks, Eric

As I understand it they no longer have the molds for the grips because they had to send them all back to STI. To get the molds back they would have to pay STI a fair amount of money and they really do not want to do that.

Edited by Too_Slow

There is a lot of confusion about what fits what. I once made a topic about it......... It didn't help, and that is a big part of why I want them back. Would be nice to be able to buy something you know work.

Edited by olp73

• 3 weeks later...

The rest of the patents expire very soon, so I think we can look forward to plenty of market offerings when that happens.

I doubt it. The cost for the molds to make the grips is ungodly and the only people that currently has one is STI.

The rest of the patents expire very soon, so I think we can look forward to plenty of market offerings when that happens.

I doubt it. The cost for the molds to make the grips is ungodly and the only people that currently has one is STI.

Maybe in the United States. I've yet to see something that the Chinese or Koreans can't counterfeit at 1/4th of the cost.

Maybe in the United States. I've yet to see something that the Chinese or Koreans can't counterfeit at 1/4th of the cost.

Possibly but what has stopped them from doing so now? They pretty much knock off anything now with no regard for patents/copyrights, or what ever its called, anyway.

Possibly but what has stopped them from doing so now? They pretty much knock off anything now with no regard for patents/copyrights, or what ever its called, anyway.

Because they wouldn't have access to the US market. We are basically the only consumers of the product, and a counterfeit product can't be legally imported.

Once the last patent expires this is a non issue.

The demand for the grips is very small, the cost to have a set of molds made is a lot higher than than the potential break even point. SPS makes grips now, when the patent expires they can bring them into the US. Even the air soft version of the S-I gun is very similar, one might have to check them out to see if they could work.

Rich

I'll trade anyone who has a steel SV grip for a new SV polymer one, even up would be a good deal!!!

Edited by RIIID