Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Target

Wild Gene

I can't really find much about the "CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Target" specifically. I've found SP01's, saw a Shadow, SP01 Shadow, but nothing like the 75 SP01 Shadow Target on the CZ website.

Anyone have or shoot one? What do you think? I like the looks of these and the STI GP6C's, but lean toward the CZ. I don't really need one, but am very intriged by them, and could be convinced....

WG

Used to be a Custom Shop offering. They are still built by CZ Custom, but are a catalogued item with CZ-USA and are available from CZ dealers.

The best way to look at it is to compare to the Shadow Custom:

- Shadow Target has an adjustable rear sight milled into the slide. Shadow Custom has a fixed competition-profile rear.

- Shadow Target has checkered wood grips. Shadow Custom has thin aluminum grips (with cutouts for grip tape).

- Shadow Target has slightly heavier springs than the Shadow Custom, per the request of CZ-USA.

Otherwise, they receive more or less the same treatment, and are about the same price.

One caveat - both models will currently be equipped with the new-style thin triggers. If you want an old style trigger, get one from CZ Custom while you still can. (And if you want a recurve trigger... well, you could get one of those too.)

Might want to be careful with the way CZ produces different versions of the same gun with different names. There is a good chance that USPSA will consider this a new gun and require it to be approved for use in Production Division. A note to John Amidon would be prudent before spending your cash. I know it makes no sense but that's the way of things.

Its a shadow custom with adjustable sights. The slide still says "Shadow" not "Shadow Target". CZ Shadow is already on the list.

Might want to be careful with the way CZ produces different versions of the same gun with different names. There is a good chance that USPSA will consider this a new gun and require it to be approved for use in Production Division. A note to John Amidon would be prudent before spending your cash. I know it makes no sense but that's the way of things.

• 1 month later...

I sent an email to USPSA.org and John did get back to me. He said that the CZ Shadow Target is indeed classified as a new gun and requires it to be approved for production class. Currently CZ has the forms but has not submitted them to NROI.

Daniel

how are they going to prove that you have a shadow target or a shadow that has had all the same work done to them like a shadow target

"They" don't have to prove it.

From the June 09' Production Division Rules Interpretation

"The burden of responsibility is on the shooter to ensure that his/her equipment is

compliant..."

EXACTLY ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SAY IT IS A SHADOW I HAD ANGUS WORK ON, NOW THEY HAVE TO PROVE THAT IT ISNT A SHADOW AND IT IS A SHADOW TARGET

If you consider lying an option then, yeah, I guess that solves it :rolleyes:

Edited by Jay870

The shadow target has no identifying markings saying target, it just says shadow. You can put adjustable sights on any production legal gun you want and still be legal.

So why would The Shadow target need its own approval? If adjustable sighted models are going to start to need their own approval its going to get crazy.

I sent an email to USPSA.org and John did get back to me. He said that the CZ Shadow Target is indeed classified as a new gun and requires it to be approved for production class. Currently CZ has the forms but has not submitted them to NROI.

Daniel

Edited by Duke Nukem

EXACTLY ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SAY IT IS A SHADOW I HAD ANGUS WORK ON, NOW THEY HAVE TO PROVE THAT IT ISNT A SHADOW AND IT IS A SHADOW TARGET

Direct from Angus. The Shadow Target is nothing more than a Shadow and a kit of parts that the Custom Shop put's together. If someone did question that you are using a Shadow Target and Amidon, who is the last authority on this subject, has ruled that it is a new gun that must be on the approval list then you would have to show proof that you had purchased a Shadow and proof that you had the slide milled and a new sight inserted. Ridiculous I know, but saying that you had the work done isn't enough to prove it or survive a challenge. The burden is on the shooter. Reality is, who is ever going to challenge it? It's just going to look like a Shadow that's had the sight milled. Why would someone question it? Still to follow the rules, you'd have to CYA with documentation.

i can tell you for a fact he gets complete shadow's and then does the work on them, on tuesday i will send in the paperwork to uspsa so this is resolved

The shadow target has no identifying markings saying target, it just says shadow. You can put adjustable sights on any production legal gun you want and still be legal.

So why would The Shadow target need its own approval? If adjustable sighted models are going to start to need their own approval its going to get crazy.

I sent a follow up email to John clarifying that the slide says shadow and not shadow target. I hope to recieve a response today. Regarding models with adjustable sights being on the list... Both the Taurus PT92 and PT99 are on the list. I think the shadow target is a pecuilar case since there isn't a different model on the slide.

i can tell you for a fact he gets complete shadow's and then does the work on them, on tuesday i will send in the paperwork to uspsa so this is resolved

Please keep us posted. What paper work will you be sending USPSA to resolve this?

I hope this gets resolved quickly. I got my Shadow Target under the assumption that was legal for Production division.

From CZ USA website:

The CZ 75 Shadow Target is a competition ready USPSA Production Division pistol. Starting with a trigger job by world champion Angus Hobdell’s CZ Custom Shop, this version of the SP-01 Shadow gets the competition treatment including a TRT rear sight, cocobolo grips, competition springs, and a CZ Custom stainless guide rod. Are you ready? Standby……..