Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Barrels

Precision40

I preffer a well balanced gun over a front heavy gun ... My 6" is very well balanced than my 5" ... My 5" cycles alot faster ( 11.4oz slide) and transitions faster. But my 6" just feels much better; when I run it ... It also cycles slower so my slow eyes can keep up with the sights.

As for the tungsten barrel ... You want a heavy gun you just start with a heavy gun ( i.e. full dust cover aka The Edge ) and if you want heavier add a tungsten guide rod and you want heavier than that add a steel grip and if you want heavier than that add a tungsten sleeve on the barrel.

What I've notice from watching numerous friends shoot IPSC in the Philippines ... Its very rare that you shoot a stage like a USPSA stage ( 30+ rds ). Its usually only in the 19rd to low/mid 20's round count. Even the mid 20's are rare. So theres alot less transitions happening in a PPSA stage that there is in a USPSA stage. So a super heavy iron pig of a gun would be still competitive but in long courses of fire which are normal at USPSA, it would start to lose ground on the lighter guns.

PPSA in the Philippines follow IPSC rules i think USPSA has diffrent rules on courses of fire and equipment.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Pare... PPSA your limited guns have to fit in a box. Our doesnt. And because of the box you guys can only have 19+1 rds or less versus uspsa we don't have to fit in a box thats why I have 21+1rds reloadable.

And since PPSA shooters take that into account how many rds you have in a mag. They plan the course design around that.

Same way; if you wen to a single a single stack match; all the arrays are single stack friendly.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I preffer a well balanced gun over a front heavy gun ... My 6" is very well balanced than my 5" ... My 5" cycles alot faster ( 11.4oz slide) and transitions faster. But my 6" just feels much better; when I run it ... It also cycles slower so my slow eyes can keep up with the sights.

As for the tungsten barrel ... You want a heavy gun you just start with a heavy gun ( i.e. full dust cover aka The Edge ) and if you want heavier add a tungsten guide rod and you want heavier than that add a steel grip and if you want heavier than that add a tungsten sleeve on the barrel.

What I've notice from watching numerous friends shoot IPSC in the Philippines ... Its very rare that you shoot a stage like a USPSA stage ( 30+ rds ). Its usually only in the 19rd to low/mid 20's round count. Even the mid 20's are rare. So theres alot less transitions happening in a PPSA stage that there is in a USPSA stage. So a super heavy iron pig of a gun would be still competitive but in long courses of fire which are normal at USPSA, it would start to lose ground on the lighter guns.

PPSA in the Philippines follow IPSC rules i think USPSA has diffrent rules on courses of fire and equipment.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Pare... PPSA your limited guns have to fit in a box. Our doesnt. And because of the box you guys can only have 19+1 rds or less versus uspsa we don't have to fit in a box thats why I have 21+1rds reloadable.

And since PPSA shooters take that into account how many rds you have in a mag. They plan the course design around that.

Same way; if you wen to a single a single stack match; all the arrays are single stack friendly.

Exactly. Diffrent rules pare. Our guns here are ipsc or world shoot compliant. Max rds in a ipsc course i think is 32 rds Edited by bonglee0507

Bong,

Those made by Metrillo are Tungsten sleeved now? Do they cut the slide inside so the tungsten sleeve can fit I presume?

jimbullet,

yes and they do bore the slide so that the tungsten sleeved barrels would fit. 90% of the ipsc shooters here (standard and classic div) have tungsten sleeved barrels made by different gunsmiths. mine was made by our brother here Jediwarrior

Edited by bonglee0507

Horse $&!+ The name of the game is keeping the gun on target. If that weren't the case then why would you put a comp on an open gun? You can't put a comp on a limited gun to control recoil so you add weight plain and simple. Every monkey with a milling machine cuts guns up and tells everyone it's "better". Why do you think there is a weight limit for single stack? If weight wasn't an advantage and "slowed you down " why would it matter?
Isnt that what I'm saying a lighter gun will always be faster than a heavy gun. And thats the reason why they dont allow slide cuts in single stack because of the weight advantage ...

Not at all what you are saying. There is a MAX weight limit for single stack of 43 ounces. Why do you think that is? Because weight (especially in the front) is an advantage.

Horse $&!+ The name of the game is keeping the gun on target. If that weren't the case then why would you put a comp on an open gun? You can't put a comp on a limited gun to control recoil so you add weight plain and simple. Every monkey with a milling machine cuts guns up and tells everyone it's "better". Why do you think there is a weight limit for single stack? If weight wasn't an advantage and "slowed you down " why would it matter?
Isnt that what I'm saying a lighter gun will always be faster than a heavy gun. And thats the reason why they dont allow slide cuts in single stack because of the weight advantage ...
Not at all what you are saying. There is a MAX weight limit for single stack of 43 ounces. Why do you think that is? Because weight (especially in the front) is an advantage.

True that is why i love IPSC classic division you can install a tungsten bull barrel in your 1911 single stack

Ok go run you 43oz single stack versus a 36oz single stack on the clock and tell which one is faster??? And thats the reason why they dont allow slide cuts or radical weight loss on single stack division.

So if you re-read my original post; you might understand. If not let me break it down for you nice and slow. I prefer a well balance gun ( which is my 6" sight tracker). The key word is preference. Then I went on to mention if yoy wanted something heavy why to control felt recoil start off heavy with a full dust cover gun; etc etc...

And then mention IPSC and mentioned a heavier gun will lose out on a lighter gun in long courses of fire. So unless my cellphone is typing in Chinese. Where this horseshit your seeing ??? All I've posted are factual information.

Edited by RippSpeed

Ok go run you 43oz single stack versus a 36oz single stack on the clock and tell which one is faster???

7 oz diff or .4375 lbs? I dont think you wont go slow with that pre

Ok go run you 43oz single stack versus a 36oz single stack on the clock and tell which one is faster???

Pare that 7oz difference ... in transitions you will lose out on the clock to a lighter gun. Every time transitions will be faster on a lighter gun.

Pare that 7oz difference ... in transitions you will lose out on the clock to a lighter gun. Every time transitions will be faster on a lighter gun.

Maybe but guns with tungsten are faster to shoot. Have you seen the videos i posted above? Those are 40 cals with 170pf and they shoot like 9mm's. I didnt believe it at first but when i tried it it got me man

Ok go run you 43oz single stack versus a 36oz single stack on the clock and tell which one is faster??? And thats the reason why they dont allow slide cuts or radical weight loss on single stack division.

So if you re-read my original post; you might understand. If not let me break it down for you nice and slow. I prefer a well balance gun ( which is my 6" sight tracker). The key word is preference. Then I went on to mention if yoy wanted something heavy why to control felt recoil start off heavy with a full dust cover gun; etc etc...

And then mention IPSC and mentioned a heavier gun will lose out on a lighter gun in long courses of fire. So unless my cellphone is typing in Chinese. Where this horseshit your seeing ??? All I've posted are factual information.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree. "Faster slide" speed isn't going to relate to faster "on target" speed. Unless you pull your trigger before you see a sight picture? Maybe they will lift the 43 ounce MAX weight limit for single stack having read your scientific explanation. Cheers.

This is an interesting thread! I think the discussion has shifted from tungsten barrels to gun weights and the reality is that is personal preference. There isn't really a need to argue about what is better, because better depends on the shooter. Is a fast transition better than a fast split? The reality is if you can manage the recoil of the gun a lighter gun will start and stop faster. Is the "9mm marshmallow" recoil worth the extra weight to swing around? I think bonglee is exactly right, we will see at the WS. People can argue all day long on the inter web machine but results don't lie. I have a prediction but I will keep it to myself. BTW my single stack weighs 36 oz and I couldnt be happier!

Trying to get this back on track here- is the sleeve threaded at the front or the rear of the barrel? I'm asking because I'm thinking of a similar concept but with a metal that is lighter than steel...

This is an interesting thread! I think the discussion has shifted from tungsten barrels to gun weights and the reality is that is personal preference. There isn't really a need to argue about what is better, because better depends on the shooter. Is a fast transition better than a fast split? The reality is if you can manage the recoil of the gun a lighter gun will start and stop faster. Is the "9mm marshmallow" recoil worth the extra weight to swing around? I think bonglee is exactly right, we will see at the WS. People can argue all day long on the inter web machine but results don't lie. I have a prediction but I will keep it to myself. BTW my single stack weighs 36 oz and I couldnt be happier!

Trying to get this back on track here- is the sleeve threaded at the front or the rear of the barrel? I'm asking because I'm thinking of a similar concept but with a metal that is lighter than steel...

Ya, let's just see in the WS i just ressurected this thread bec i was loking for some inputs re tungsten sleeves. Filipino shooters told me at first they have to adjust to the sudden increase in weight bec of the tungsten sleeve and the tungsten guide rod but with constant practice they were able to master this type of gun.

@mike- what can you say about the youtube video that i posted that was taken earlier this morning and by the way, the thread on the barrel is on the rear and by the way again, my tungsten sleeve is .70 of an inch and top shooters put .76 inch sleeves. Thats's HEAVY!

I checked the youtube video- it looks pretty flat! It definitely seems very stable and easy to follow up a shot. In comparing it to my most recent video, the TX Oilfield Classic you can see my gun lifts much further than yours. My personal preference (not saying it is better) is a light gun with an even lighter slide. That one is 36 oz, with a 10 oz slide, and I've been thinking of milling the barrel to take some more weight off, and I'm putting in an aluminum guide rod. I feel like it lifts high but comes back very fast. I think you will see a big difference in the speed of transitions with a lighter gun.

Thank you for the information! I have been very curious about how the sleeving is done. That is amazing that they bore out the slide! Also, in your most recent post you hit the nail on the head- with constant practice they were able to master that type of gun. Despite differences in IPSC and USPSA courses of fire and equipment both games are scored points per second, and whatever helps YOU do that best is what you should use.

I checked the youtube video- it looks pretty flat! It definitely seems very stable and easy to follow up a shot. In comparing it to my most recent video, the TX Oilfield Classic you can see my gun lifts much further than yours. My personal preference (not saying it is better) is a light gun with an even lighter slide. That one is 36 oz, with a 10 oz slide, and I've been thinking of milling the barrel to take some more weight off, and I'm putting in an aluminum guide rod. I feel like it lifts high but comes back very fast. I think you will see a big difference in the speed of transitions with a lighter gun.

Thank you for the information! I have been very curious about how the sleeving is done. That is amazing that they bore out the slide! Also, in your most recent post you hit the nail on the head- with constant practice they were able to master that type of gun. Despite differences in IPSC and USPSA courses of fire and equipment both games are scored points per second, and whatever helps YOU do that best is what you should use.

Ya. The Philippines is a TUNGSTEN crazy shooting country. Haha

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

MikeRush, if you look at the picture of bonglee, the tungsten sleeve is in the front. It starts out at 3/4 in. diameter, then turned down to 0.698 in.

The rear section is threaded at 0.575 in - 40 tpi, about an inch and 1/4. The front is 0.520 in. cylindrical.

The slide is bored at an angle of 1*. We have done this before on full cylindrical stainless steel bull barrels like Bar-Sto and Lissner.

We have also sleeved classic bushing-type barrels, and this might be a cheaper route for some. In this case, the sleeve extends slightly further to the rear. A little turning is done for the front locking groove.

Recoil spring will be lower at 10 to 12 lbs.

My 2 cents is to try one and see if you like it. Definitely there will be a transition period as you need to get used to the front weight and slower cycling time.

There has been experiments on the so-called jumbo tungsten, where the diameter is 0.76 inch. Recoil reduction is approximately 50%. Barrel timing is extremely critical. I have seen so many worn top locking lugs and sheared bottom lugs.

MikeRush, if you look at the picture of bonglee, the tungsten sleeve is in the front. It starts out at 3/4 in. diameter, then turned down to 0.698 in.

The rear section is threaded at 0.575 in - 40 tpi, about an inch and 1/4. The front is 0.520 in. cylindrical.

The slide is bored at an angle of 1*. We have done this before on full cylindrical stainless steel bull barrels like Bar-Sto and Lissner.

We have also sleeved classic bushing-type barrels, and this might be a cheaper route for some. In this case, the sleeve extends slightly further to the rear. A little turning is done for the front locking groove.

My 2 cents is to try one and see if you like it. Definitely there will be a transition period as you need to get used to the front weight and slower cycling time.

There has been experiments on the so-called jumbo tungsten, where the diameter is 0.76 inch. Recoil reduction is approximately 50%. Barrel timing is extremely critical. I have seen so many worn top locking lugs and sheared bottom lugs.

Jediwarrior is the one who built my gun!

Jediwarrior, I appreciate your detailed explanation! That is very helpful for me understanding the process. I'd love to shoot one sometime, but I don't know anyone locally (Southern California) area who has one. I think its great to experiment and find out what works for you- in watching the PPSA videos, it seems like a lot of the stages are set up so that you are firing mostly straight downrange, and I can see how a heavy, stable gun could help with those shots. The courses we shoot locally (and the Majors I have been to in the US) seem to have a lot more wide transitions and shooting occurring closer to the 180. It seems here that ultra light 6" guns are becoming more popular- which wouldn't fit the IPSC box. One of the things I love about limited and open are that there are so many different competitive setups. If you watch the USPSA Nationals Super Squad you will see full dust covers, short dust covers, bull barrels, bushing barrels, relatively heavy slides, extremely light slides, 5" and 6" guns, etc. Everybody is free to experiment and determine what works best for them.

This is interesting, Jediwarrior suggests that when the barrel is tungsten sleeved, the recoil spring will have to be reduced. Did I understand that correctly? Is it because the slide will reduce in overall weight because of the cutting/ milling required to accommodate the sleeve?

This is interesting, Jediwarrior suggests that when the barrel is tungsten sleeved, the recoil spring will have to be reduced. Did I understand that correctly? Is it because the slide will reduce in overall weight because of the cutting/ milling required to accommodate the sleeve?

You dont have to reduce if you can control the muzzle dip bec of the heavy weight of the front of the gun

Tungsten does not hold up well is high wear areas of 1911 style guns. It is great for adding weight, but if it is used in the high wear areas, be prepared to spend money.

If you fit it right it will hold up well