Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload Or Not To Reload

yeahyeah

Hello All,

Just wondering is it worth reloading or not? This is the deal: 2 shooters myself and my son, 4 guns: 3-.40cal's, 1-.45acp., first year in competition, local club stuff.

Both will be shooting Production, maybe a swing at Limited 10, we do shoot a lot of ammo, 500-1000 Rds a weekend. Not worried about the "perfect" load yet, but if reloading does make a big differance in your shooting I would be willing to get a 650 Dillon and go at it. Won't be shooting the .45cal as much, unless we do go with the reloading option. We will compete with the .40's. Can buy Wal-mart white box for $150 a 1000, or Miwall reloads for $115 a 1000. How much a round is it to reload .40 s&w, is it all worth it?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Start reloading NOW!!! It costs me 9 cents per round to load .40SW with Montana Gold bullets and VV320 powder with brass from brassman.com and using it 4 times. That comes to $90 per thousand. The reloaded ammo is sooo much better than the factory ammo.

I think I can stuff .45s for about 4.00 - 4.50 per 50 or about 9 cents per round. From what I can tell a good deal on 45's is $10.00 per 50 or 20 cents per. The diff is 11 cents. If I work at it and buy in bulk, I can get that cost down to about $3.50 per 50 or about 7cents per, or a difference of 13 cents.

If I shoot 1000, I save

1000x.11 = $110 or

1000x.13 = $130.

At that rate, the 650 pays off in about 10,000 rounds I don't shoot/load 40s but you can probably figure out the savings in a similar manner.

An advantage of the .45 is that it is a low pressure round and your brass will probably last forever. The 40 won't las as long because of the high pressures.

However, remember that you may just shoot more so you net cost is the same (but your fun/$ quotient is higher).

The nice thing about reloading is that you can customise the ammo to suit your needs.

Concerned about price? Load lead bullets and reuse the brass until it splits or you lose it.

Concerned about performance? Load jacketed bullets over VV, Titegroup, or whatever with new or once-fired brass for matches.

Concerned about terminal performance? Crank up the power factor and load lathe turned depleted uranium bullets.

I reload stuff that's not really that economical to bother with (i.e. 9mm and 223) because I can go to the range with the same load every time - which really matters to me.

Unless you're independently wealthy, you virtually HAVE to reload 40 and 45 to shoot enough to learn anything. Reloading was the #1 thing that allowed me to go beyond being some weekend warrior yutz and get on the road to becoming a decent shooter.

Definitely reload. You can reload a thousand FMJ .40's that are to YOUR liking for around $95/thousand. Even less if you use lead. If you are shooting 1000 rounds a week, justify the $500-$700 for a complete reloading setup because it will save you a ton of $$$ in the long-run. I couldn't shoot much if I didn't reload.

I seem to recall an old advertising of a reloading component firm (or was it a Powder manufacturer? Bah? Alzheimer? :wacko: ), that went something like this:

For someone reloading is the preparation to the main event,

For someone reloading IS the main event.

• 4 weeks later...

Well just to post another questions. As I have said I am still just getting into the sport of IPSC I currently buy my ammo from the Range. Plus being that I get it at cost because my father works there. So he just buys it for me. Works out about the same price of reloading. Any true advantages to reloading if cost was not the issue between reloading or buying from store. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Happy Shooting !!

:D :D :D :D

If you take cost out of the equation, the advantage is that you get to choose bullet style and weight as well as powder details (type, amount, etc)

If you are happy shooting what you can get for the same price as reloading, don't reload.

However, in any caliber other than 9mm and 223, I'd be really surprised if you really can get quality ammo (even at cost) for what you can reload it. If you're shooting a tupperware 36 (I can say that because I have one as well) then you're shooting 45ACP. My cost is $4.00 to $6.00 per box of 50.

I'd guess you can get some the import stuff (Wolf, etc) for that price, but I've found it to be dirty and a little bit unreliable. I've also found that the laquer collects after 200 rds or so.

Geek