Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pics from the early days

Early IPSC'er

Finally got a film scanner and ran a few old B&W negatives thru--unfortunately these came out in a sepia tone but I've subsequently learned to correct that.

This first one is from the shootoff at the US IPSC (pre-USPSA) Nationals of either 80 or 81, pitting Tommy Campbell against our own Brian Enos (I think, that's you in the pic isn't it Brian---if not, it's an anorexic Robby!!)

DSC00001.jpg

My two favorite competitors in the late 70's were Ross Seyfried and Ken Hackathorn, both of whom I became friends with. Here's one of Seyfried running an assault course and reloading on the run--had to pan the shot as he moved quickly!! Must have been the 80's Nationals as he's still wearing his lucky shirt.

1980IPSCNationals008.jpg

Here's a rare pic of Hackathorn and Jim Cirillo at the 1980 SOF shoot

1980IPSCNationals065.jpg

I'll post more later as I learn to master this thing. Found contact sheets from the 1980 Bianchi Cup--thought I had some from the first one, but can't place my hands on it yet.

In the first picture; Is the guy on the left using a shoulder holster ?

That's Tommy Campbell--he worked for S&W and used his own design "sternum" rig. It placed the gun approximately over the solar plexus. Since virtually all of the stages began from the surrender position, it wasn't a bad location. BTW, he kicked some serious butt using minor caliber in those days. I'm sure that I'll have some pics of his rig somewhere, but I've got literally 1000's of negatives and slides---it'll take some time.

Edited by Early IPSC'er

In the first picture; Is the guy on the left using a shoulder holster ?

In the early days there were few restrictions on holsters, a copy of the first draft of the rules for IPSC is here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93578&st=0&p=1073030&hl=ipsc&fromsearch=1entry1073030.

Shoulder holsters and cross draws were not rare. I don't recall abyone else using a chest holster except Campbell, but there were probably a few others.

Here's one of Mickey Fowler crawling up on the straddle-wall--targets were engaged from the top:

1980IPSCNationals050.jpg

Same scenario of Ray Chapman struggling to get there:

1980IPSCNationals037.jpg

Here's John Shaw entering the tunnel--there were two windows that targets were engaged thru. Notice he's covering his left arm with the muzzle---we're all fortunate that there were NOT ALOT of self inflicted wounds in those days:

1980IPSCNationals046.jpg

More later.

Edited by Early IPSC'er

In a discussion of the early days on a previous thread, someone brought up the name Ray Neal. I first shot with Ray in Oceanside in 75 or 76---he came to the match with an 8 3/8" Model 29 in a shoulder holster--he was using stout ammo too. His arms were as big as my legs. Here he is on the straddle-wall:

DSC00005.jpg

Seyfried on the Rhodesian Wall---this was probably the 3rd iteration of the obstacle---the first one that I recall was in Park City in the 79 Nationals---suddenly they were everywhere for a few years:

DSC00008.jpg

Here's a close up of the holster that changed the sport. Seyfried was the first competitor to win with a non-muzzle-forward-rake holster during the 78 Nationals. He had Milt make a fancier one-notice his love of Africa demonstrated by the elephant-screw-head on the retention device. After this, the sport went thru a spasm of practicality--even compensated guns were carried in muzzle-rear-or-neutral holsters for a few years---I think that scopes pretty much killed the idea.

DSC00016.jpg

Here are a few shoot off pictures. The first one is Raul Walters on the right and (I'm pretty sure) Chip McCormick on the left:

DSC00011.jpg

Notice the go signal was a series of lights

Jeff Cooper's philosophy was that all of the events of the tournament simply be used to determine who gets to shoot in the shoot off and that the shoot off was a "winner take all" affair. At the Section Coordinator's meeting in Park City, the section coordinators over-ruled him (which is an oxymoronic misterm--Cooper was NEVER overruled) but he agreed to make the shoot off a seperate event. That's why if you remember the American Handgunner article on the 79 Nationals--Mickey Fowler won the match but Seyfried is standing on the top box in the photo because he won the shoot off. Therefore a year or two later everyone wanted to see this pairing---Fowler and Seyfried:

DSC00015.jpg

This picture really shows the difference in their stance and style---look at the differences in their shoulders and leg/feet postion as well as their head-tilt differences.

Edited by Early IPSC'er

I love the socks of the 70's and those short shorts. :rolleyes:

It's truly amazing how in the past 30 years not only has the level of "shooting" talent gone through the roof, as well as the equipment .... but also the "will to win". Notice folks back then didn't wear "performance clothing" or cleats of any kind. I see lots of tennis shoes & blue-jeans.

Shooters now days are trying to gain an advantage everywhere they can. Whether it be in shoes, shirts, or their gear. Shooters back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's were just happy to be there & be shooting! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...