Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this legal

Field

i shoot an xdm9 in esp division, alot of the time when i go dry the slide wont lock back generally because my thumb would be pressing on or touching the slide release. this adds a little bit of time to reloads because of having to fully rack the slide. would it be legal to shave the slide stop or cut part of it off so my thumb is less likely to press on it? yes i do practice putting my thumb in the right spot but most of the time it just doesnt work that way.

thanks

i shoot an xdm9 in esp division, alot of the time when i go dry the slide wont lock back generally because my thumb would be pressing on or touching the slide release. this adds a little bit of time to reloads because of having to fully rack the slide. would it be legal to shave the slide stop or cut part of it off so my thumb is less likely to press on it? yes i do practice putting my thumb in the right spot but most of the time it just doesnt work that way.

thanks

I did this to a Glock of mine having the same problem. I did however leave enough to still release it manually. I saw nothing in the rules in ESP but SSP might not like it since it changes something externally visible other than grips or sights. Page 20 excluded modification number 1.

• 1 month later...

Fix your grip. If you're right handed, roll your right hand thumb out a little bit. You're overriding the slide stop; changing the shape of it and still having it be usable won't make that go away. The shooting hand thumb is pretty much along for the ride, its your support hand that's supplying most of the grip strength.

Fix your grip. If you're right handed, roll your right hand thumb out a little bit. You're overriding the slide stop; changing the shape of it and still having it be usable won't make that go away. The shooting hand thumb is pretty much along for the ride, its your support hand that's supplying most of the grip strength.

Easier said that done... I shoot my 1911 almost exclusivly, my grip is so ingrained that when I shoot my XDm that I have the same problem, slide no locky on empty...

It's one of my biggest problems with plastic pistols, the controls are wrong :angry2: somebody should get it right.

And at least for me, I'm not willing to commit the time to change my grip, sounds like Field's in the same boat. Love to see a drop in slide release that moves it forward.

May people teach that the strong hand thumb doesn't do anything. I don't believe it for a second.

I always ask the "thumb over thumb" grip guys where they put their thumb when shooting strong hand? Floating out it space, pretending the other thumb is still there?

I won't take bad form in exchange for badly designed guns. ;):) YMMV

I no longer own any Glocks, but when I did they looked like this.

GTAB.jpg

Worked just as well as the full sized tab.

SIG's are fixable.

220latch.jpg

220stcatch.jpg

The slide not locking back is a really common complaint of new (to SIG's) shooters. I don't know why SIG never offered a latch sort of like this.

Of course they're keep you out of certain classes, but I have other guns for that. :lol:

Edited by cas

Easier said that done... I shoot my 1911 almost exclusivly, my grip is so ingrained that when I shoot my XDm that I have the same problem, slide no locky on empty...

speaking of which i almost straight up bought a taurus pt1911 yesterday because i was at the store and i axed the guy behind the counter to let me see it, i snatched the gun up and pointed it at something, then pulled the nice 1911 trigger and boom the sights were right on target perfectly lined up with almost no work on my part and then i looked at where my hands were and they were perfectly positioned just naturally. not touching any controls.

Edited by Field

what about this:

http://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=00PG037

would buying a part like this which is made to fit all XD and XDM models be a legal part to put on the gun for production uspsa? im really irritated because this is almost the only thing that makes me not want to use the xdm and if i can get my paws on it and its legal i can keep my xdm which i still like alot.

I'd say it's legal for ESP.

my problem is i want something that is both legal for uspsa production and esp/ssp in idpa

Regardless of modifications the XDm will never be legal for IDPA SSP since it's a single action.

I'd say it's legal for ESP.

my problem is i want something that is both legal for uspsa production and esp/ssp in idpa

Regardless of modifications the XDm will never be legal for IDPA SSP since it's a single action.

Not single action, striker fired, just like the M&P and Glock. All it would take is for IDPA to decide to admit it is a service pistol to classify it as SSP legal, as they can do whatever they want.

The Pistol gear slide release is not Production legal and unless SA puts it in the factory catalog, it will not become so, as that is the USPSA rule.

speaking of which i almost straight up bought a taurus pt1911 yesterday because i was at the store and i axed the guy behind the counter to let me see it, i snatched the gun up and pointed it at something, then pulled the nice 1911 trigger and boom the sights were right on target perfectly lined up with almost no work on my part and then i looked at where my hands were and they were perfectly positioned just naturally. not touching any controls.

That's why I only shoot the XDm for fun, like at multi gun matches... 1911 is my carry gun, and competition gun, there is just nothing that feel like a good 1911.

You might look at getting a 9mm 1911, those are a lot of fun! and the controls are right.

Instead of modifying the stock XDm part, you could put on the slide release from the XD, which will fit and is flatter than the XDm part. Because it is an SA factory part from a production approved gun (the XD), it would be legal in production.

Instead of modifying the stock XDm part, you could put on the slide release from the XD, which will fit and is flatter than the XDm part. Because it is an SA factory part from a production approved gun (the XD), it would be legal in production.

can anyone else second this? because this is exactly what i was cooking on when i was at work. I was wondering if having the XD slidestop on the XDM was legal or not. Because honestly the XD slidestop button is perfect.

I really dont get this thing about "i want a bigger slidestop button because my hands are 2 small to press it." Like how damn small do your hands have to be in order to be in that kind of sad situation?

It would also be legal for SSP. You're allowed to switch out any factory part for any other factory part, such as a Glock extended slide release for a Glock low profile slide release or vice versa, whether or not the gun came from the factory that way. No reason the same shouldn't be true within the XD family.