Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun back from IonBonding/Springer

esskay

Just got my limited gun back from IonBonding through Springer and it looks truly EVIL. :D

Question -- it's pristine now as you would imagine, and Springer lubricated it with some grease/etc in the usual spots. Normally after cleaning my guns I slather CLP pretty much everywhere before putting lubricant on the usual spots, any suggestions on whether I should do this again before taking the gun out or is it not necessary now with the IonBond wundercoating? Thanks!

Ionbond doesn't prevent corrosion, so applying some form of protectant is a good idea.

The coating absorbs oil, so it will prevent corrosion very, very well, if you keep it looking black. If it loses the dark color, it can use some oil. If you see standing oil, it is more than you need. I'm anti-slather, as standing lubricant just collects crap.

Pics Pics Pics Pics....

I wanna see the new ION Bond finish...what color did you get?

My understanding is that you can get any color you want so long as it is BLACK! LOL

By popular demand, I give you <Dr Evil voice> an Eeeeviiiiilll Limited gun!

The matte black plus the tacticool light rail make this thing look totally evil in a bad ass sort of way! :)

jvdstiionbond.jpg

Ionbond doesn't prevent corrosion, so applying some form of protectant is a good idea.

The coating absorbs oil, so it will prevent corrosion very, very well, if you keep it looking black. If it loses the dark color, it can use some oil. If you see standing oil, it is more than you need. I'm anti-slather, as standing lubricant just collects crap.

Thanks for the feedback, I got voice mail when I called and was too impatient to try back so just posted up here... ;) I suppose I had a bad experience with some rust developing while not paying attention so I've gone a bit overboard the other direction coating everything everywhere on my guns with CLP! This was actually the main impetus for getting this pistol coated, to make sure it would be protected.

Will follow your guidelines and just give it a light coat of CLP for my peace of mind. :)

Posted pic above, it turned out extra EVIL! :D

Edited by esskay

KICK ASS! Who built that bad-boy?

cheers623

DVC

Thanks, it was built by Jojo Vidanes (JV Dynamics). Wish it made me shoot like him... ;) But it sure is even more bitchin' now! I might call this my Darth Vader blaster now. :D

Edited by esskay

Pics Pics Pics Pics....

My understanding is that you can get any color you want so long as it is BLACK! LOL

The matte black plus the tacticool light rail make this thing look totally evil in a bad ass sort of way! :)

jvdstiionbond.jpg

Gun is very cool. :cheers: You can get a new color from Springer. It is a copper color. There is a photo in the Springer thread. The new copper color looks very cool! I have 2 guns in Ion Bond Black and I love it. Very slick!

Edited by mikegot38

Ion Bond is actually gadzillions of microscopic tubules that when the coating is finished being applied will be dry and actually look greyish. The first couple of times you oil it, it will absorb and "store" the oil for lack of a better term. After a couple of oilings, the tubules will be full of oil and all you have to do is wipe it down with a rag. When it "senses" lubrication is needed somewhere, and I dont know if its heat actuated or what, but when lubrication is needed, the finish will exude the lube stored. Its one of the reasons it is such a desirable finish in high-end industrial machines and indy-car type engines, protection. So, get it oiled up until it doesnt absorb it and start to look flat grey in places and then occassionally wipe it down with an oily rag and you'll be good to go. For what its worth, when I got mine done, the guy at IonBond said he recommended Montana X-treme Gun Oil, so I used it.

Edited by CDRODA396

^^^ Yup, prices are on Springer's web site. I believe usual turn around is about 5-6 weeks, mine took a little longer because of some delays at IonBond.

ETA: Such lame research on my end, I didn't realize there were other color options besides Black... those are neat colors (FDE & Copper). But in any case, black is appropriate for this blaster! :)

Edited by esskay

• 1 month later...

Pics Pics Pics Pics....

jvdstiionbond.jpg

definitely one bad ass looking Limited gun :devil:

As a follow up to this, I have to agree, short of a good rough parkerized finish, it absorbs more oil than anything in my collection. It may well hold onto the oil better than anything else I have in my collection too. I've though ti was dried out and wrapped it in some cling wrap, only to see oil leech out onto the cling wrap after letting it sit for a day.

Edited by raz-0