Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 mag help

Merlin Orr

I have a milled aluminum 30 round 10/22 mag. I cannot remember where i bought it. I will look thru some reeciepts I have and see if I have one for it. The mag has run great for a couple of years. I use it 90% of the time. I also have had good luck with the Hot Lips mags with the steel lips.

I am not getting there on my search for the best 10/22 mags...... Need a few pointers for the best mags.

Help me with suggestions or hook me up with some links here. I know I have seen some threads but can' find them. unsure.gif

Just send it to Freedom Gunworks for tuning! You can easily get 18 rounds in the rotary magazine by using a different spring and follower! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

(just a joke everyone)

The factory Ruger 10 round rotary mag seems to be the consensus for the most dependable 10/22 mag. Obviously you're limited to 10 rounds. I like the clear ones so you can see how many you have in there.

Merlin: We shot a 22 match this past weekend. The boys used the factory 10 round mags and they worked perfectly. I tried some 25 rd Butler Creek ones with no luck but I did use another brand(can't remember the name right now)and it worked well. I ordered 6 more factory Ruger 10 rounders in clear for the next match :cheers: The type of match we just shot limit you to 10 rounds so the factory mags will work. Thanks, Eric Merlin: The 25rd mag that worked was a Shooters Ridge. I bought there kit with the mag loader which works great even on the 10 round mags. A real thumb saver :cheers:

Edited by Aircooled6racer

By all means metal feed lips. i have had several of the plastic feed lip ones and they just don't last. The butler creek steel lips seem to hold up very well.

For a 10 rounder I would stick with the factory mags, there is a little tuning to be done to them which will help over the long run. Take the magazine apart and take a look at the the rotor/follower, you will notice a little bump about half way across the longest arm of the rotor. I take that down with a fine file until it is flat all the way across. This will help prevent the follower from hanging up when the magazine gets very dirty. I also take a round jewelers file and put a bit of a ramp on the front of the opening of the feed lips. Next I will take a small, square jewelers file and square up the ejector notch on the magazine. What you say? Yeah, the ejector on the 10/22 is in the feed lips of the magazine. Yes there is also one in the trigger group but that one only is used when the magazine is removed and you are clearing the gun. If that ejector notch is rounded slightly you will start to see stove pipes like crazy. Lastly, when you are putting the magazine back together put the follower into the body, the back plate in place then the locking nut in place and rotate the backplate and follower until you feel it make contact with the feed lips. With this done give the back plate 2 full turns to preload the spring. This is what I have been doing for a good 20 years and the only time I have had magazine related issues was due to wax lube build up inside the magazine thanks to CCI or other wax lubed bullets. Stick with a copper washed or dry lubed lead bullet and you can go a long time before you need to clean the magazines.

For more than 10 rounds the Tach Inovations mags are pretty good. The others are pretty much hit or miss but avoid the plastic lipped mags if you can. A fun little side note, some cleaners used on guns will desolve the plastic that some of the after market magazines are made out of so be careful when cleaning them.

Joe W.