Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

your sights

Field

what kind of sights have you put on your gun(s)?

ive been rolling with a small red FO front (dawson precision, Xdm9, )paired with the factory rears except i blacked out the white dots. I've been contemplating buying a paired set of FO front and rear sights ever since i replaced my fiber and saw how large and luminescent it was after expanding the ends of it with heat. the cost isnt really a huge deal seeing how much use the gun gets.

im just wondering if you have tried front/rear FO sights and if you feel it is worth it or not. im thinking it might be faster target aquisition in a can.. but idk .

Really don't like anything but a plain black rear sight teamed with a small diameter front fiber, preferably serrated.

The fiber optic rear sights drive my eyes nuts.

I couldn't agree with this more.

I run an adjustable black serrated Dawson rear with a .100" wide Dawson FO front with the green insert. It's perfect IMO.

anybody else tried front/rear FOs and didnt like them? what do you not like?

i was thinking if you have a red front and rear green it would seem like your eyes would pick that up faster than a regular black rear sight

Edited by Field

• 2 weeks later...

anybody else tried front/rear FOs and didnt like them? what do you not like?

i was thinking if you have a red front and rear green it would seem like your eyes would pick that up faster than a regular black rear sight

A lot of people think so, however it is the same reason that a front night sight is preferable to a full 3 dot set. Your eye will want to focus on the larger, (and comparatively brighter) two rear dots of lights as opposed to the ONE on the Front Sight where we are supposed to be focused. If your grip is properly locked in (dry fire helps I hear) then you are really only using the front sight as the *thumb rest [generic]* to determine when, and how fast to be pressing the trigger as the visual indications dictate. The precise focus is actually pretty narrow, and it is narrower than the width of almost all rear sight notches causing your eye to float slowing you down. If the rear were narrow enough to negate this effect, then they would be too slow to acquire.

Another fellow and I had this discussion over the weekend that might be worth sharing. I'm now 60 and the other fellow is only a few years behind. Neither of us can shoot without some kind of glasses due to vision problems.

He switched to open this year and is finding it a lot easier to shoot using a C-More than he did with iron sights. But even though he was a good limited shooter, he's now competing against much better open shooters.

I switched from production to limited this year which has forced me to slow down from the way I was shooting in production. That's a good thing. But it's also made me more aware of my sight picture. I have a set of Warren sights with a small green FO front and a plain black rear. The green dot really stands out and makes it easy to acquire, but less than perfect vision makes a good sight alignment more difficult with each passing year. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not time to switch to a set of sights with FO front and back which will make misalignment of the sights a good deal more obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

ive tried those wider notched warren rear sights but i actually prefer the squared, narrower notched serrated factory rear sight. its nice to be able to look at your front sight easier but i feel that the narrower notch is more ....precise. i dont think it makes a giant difference with how good you shoot but possibly when you run into shooting tiny steel at long range i think it would be nicer.

one thing though about having dots in the back i almost think it helps you more precisely monitor exactly how you are holding and moving the gun because with my blacked out factory rears i dont quite as readily notice little subtlties like maybe i tilt the gun slightly or whatnot. again this is only going to make a difference when shooting at 35-50 yard targets which doesnt come up all that much

I use a Brazos front sight. Most of the time I keep it black. Sometimes, if there are less precision shots I will use the fiber. Red does not work so well for me. I prefer Yellow then Green. If I am at PASA or Tulsa I tend to stay away from Green. I have a wide notch for my rear sight. I like a lot of white space.

I use the Tru-glo Red front, Green rear and it just about lines itself up for me. I can tell which one to put where because they are different colors.

I have also shot several guns with a red front and blacked out rear, as well as a standard 3-dot and other styles of sights and to me it is 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

I think most of it is personal preference and what works for *you.*

As a side note I have 20/20 vision to so B)

SStk 1911 sports a 10-8 U-notch fixed rear and a Brazos MicroDot front (green).

Limited CZ has a Kensight serrated black adjustable rear and is in the process of getting a serrated black front. (Switching from FO.)

Production CZ has a CZ Custom competition serrated black fixed rear and is in the process of getting a serrated black front. (Switching from FO.)