Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a good tech reference book/manual for 1911/2011 platform

BayouSlide

Recently picked up an STI and looking for recommendations on a good shop manual type reference for maintenance/repair/how to. I've been shooting Glocks so this platform is new to me and need a reference before I take apart something that I can't get back together. :roflol:

Saw a few on Brownell's but what out there might be the most useful?

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

I feel your pain. There is a fair amount on youtube. STI has some videos on their website. I sure agree with you. I can take down my G34 in about 2 minutes, but the STI is a bit different. If you didn't get some sort of owners manual with it, you can probably download one on the STI website or call them and have one sent to you. Other than that, I have found this to be about as good a reference there is. You can also go to many of the custom builders and accessory manufacturers web sites and they have videos on these things.

Sure do shoot nicely compared to the Glocks, don't they..

WG

;)

Jerry khunhausen book is real good and the two AGI video with Gene Suey is

also good. :D

Jim/Pa

Sailors :):devil:

+1. Both are great basic information sources for the 1911/2011 platforms. Kuhnhausen's book is a must to have.

Cheers,

Pat

;)

Jim/Pa

All I saw were the two books for the 1911. Is there one about 2011's specifically or do you just use a 1911 reference?

WG

Edited by Wild Gene

Khunhausen does not have a 2011 manual specifically, but his 1911 and other manuals are unrivaled in detail. The line drawings in his books are worth the price of admission, not to mention the technical info. Not exactly a quick reference field manual though.

;)

Jim/Pa

All I saw were the two books for the 1911. Is there one about 2011's specifically or do you just use a 1911 reference?

WG

The AGI stuff is under DVD/Video's in brownells catalog,or you can go directly to AGI.

Jim/PA

I am in the same boat , moving into a 1911 platform and have been looking for info as well . I would like to have a book or video that also shows how to do the upgrades as well as maintenance . I saw the Khunhausen manual , do i need vol#1 or vol#2 or both? Also are the AGI ultimate 1911 DVD's better than the Wilson DVD's?? I was looking at both , the Wilson is a 4 DVD set and the AGI has 3 diff ones . Not trying to hijack the thread , just had the same questions .

Edited by Shooter32

AGI offers videos on the 1911 and 2011 platform in multiple degrees of detail. Get them all. Get all the Wilson books, and all the Khunhausen manuals as well. Some offer more info in certain areas than others and all are good to have.

All the knowlege will require some equipment and parts to play with for "learning" . Takes time to build a bit of experience and some possible machining skills for some things. But it is alot of fun, and pride when you finish a project. Most importantly is to take your time.

Appreciate all the info guys...and kgunz, I'll keep your offer in mind the next time I back myself into a corner and get stuck :cheers:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

Bayou and Shooter,

I just went to a regional hardware store and found a book called "Model 1911 Automatic Pistol" by Robert Campbell. It is not the greatest book, more of a history, discusses different models, sights, loads, some tests. Hard cover, about 160 pages, published 2004. Not a technical manual, but I bought three of them because they were $3.99 each plus tax. Hey, it was a good deal. Anyway, if you guys want a copy, I will send you each one of them if you cover shipping. Shouldn't be more than $5.00.

If you guys don't want them, anyone else is welcome, but you guys can have first dibs.

Gene

Thanks for the kind offer, Gene. PM sent.

A buddy who bought a Dawson tuned Edge loaned me a DVD he received from Dawson with the pistol. Dave Dawson walks through disassembly, assembly and lube points, plus some special tips on procedures for STI 1911s, STI Limited 2011s and Open 2011s. Sat down and watched it this afternoon. Really useful coverage of the basics: http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000889-1198782444

Curtis,

You can have the book. How about postage, or a trade? I don't care. What ever you like. Free is even fine. I mean it was $3.99. Enjoy.

PM me your mailing address.

Gene

-------------------------------------

Other book spoken for.........

Edited by Wild Gene