Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer for dry fire practice?

Philo_Beddoe

I bought Steven Anderson's dry fire training book and in it he recommends the PACT club for dry fire training. But that book was written back in 2003.

I read the pinned thread at the top of the forum on timers and to be honest I think I became more confused.

I shoot factory ammo in the USPSA production division so I really do not need a chrono.

I just want a easy to use timer for dry fire practice.

I dont mind spending money, but I want value for my money. I dont want to spend $200 for gizmo's I wont use when I could spend $100. By the same token I will spend the extra money if the more expensive timer is worth the extra amount in reliabity or ease of use, etc.

This timer will most likely be used for dry fire training exclusively with the possiblity of some live fire training indoors. However the range does not allow draws from holsters and it's in a lane, so only 1 target.

What are your suggestions?

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

The PACT III Club timer is still a good one. It's easy to use, easy to switch back and forth between random delay and instant start, and straight forward enough to set par time for training. Also convenient to clip it to your belt and just by looking down you see the big display. Like other timers, the beep is loud so you can hear it with muffs on, but you can stuff an earplug into the hole where the beeper is to make it quieter when dry-firing.

There are other timers out there that are just as good, but IMO the PACT timer is one of the good ones.

The timer I like is the CED 7000. It allows for par time adjustments to .01 of a second. I used to use an R U Ready timer, but that only allowed .5 second adjustments, clearly not enough. However the newer versions might allow .1 second adjustments, check before you buy.

• 1 month later...

The timer I like is the CED 7000. It allows for par time adjustments to .01 of a second. I used to use an R U Ready timer, but that only allowed .5 second adjustments, clearly not enough. However the newer versions might allow .1 second adjustments, check before you buy.

^^^ This.... My post would have been identical, except replace 'R U Ready timer' with 'Speed Timer 3000'.

Here's a link to some online dry fire training, beep included http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5.

As far as a timer I agree with the earlier post, get whatever your club uses or is most common in your area. Familiarity is a good thing.

If you've got an Iphone Surefire makes a great timer app, only a few bucks I think.

Kevin

the timer isnt gonna here you dry firing, and will give alkinds of false readings at an indoor public range, down load one of the Apps mentioned, I have RU ready on my laptop and use the par time feature.

the timer isnt gonna here you dry firing, and will give alkinds of false readings at an indoor public range, down load one of the Apps mentioned, I have RU ready on my laptop and use the par time feature.

par time is really the only thing youd be using with the timer with dryfire stuff

• 2 weeks later...

The PACT III Club timer is still a good one. It's easy to use, easy to switch back and forth between random delay and instant start, and straight forward enough to set par time for training. Also convenient to clip it to your belt and just by looking down you see the big display. Like other timers, the beep is loud so you can hear it with muffs on, but you can stuff an earplug into the hole where the beeper is to make it quieter when dry-firing.

There are other timers out there that are just as good, but IMO the PACT timer is one of the good ones.

My third and favorite timer. It is very easy to use, and to teach others to use. I taught my 10 year old to use it in seconds, and now I have her roing me when we practice. If you don't want a chrono, and an inexpensive timer with a easy read out/display is in order, this timer is hard to beat for the money.

JZ