Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lets talk about SS mag cleaning

Corey

If they aren't very dirty I just use the Kleanbore nylon brush, put a .30 caliber cleaning patch over it and run it into the mag pushing the follower down. Couple of swipes will get rid of dust and grit most of the time. If it still sounds/feels gritty you'll need to strip it. With a little practice you can strip the CMC's and be back in business pretty quickly.

I cleaned mine after Area 6. I had several that were feeling gritty when I loaded them, probably due to that red dust that was everywhere. I hadn't had any problems with them failing due to grit, rocks or dirt in them (47D's).

Edited by BillD

Never.. so far.

If I dropped them in mud, it would be a different story, but the normal range dirt, etc.. never bothered mine. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time.

I did by a Arredondo mag cleaner brush, I think I used once on STI mags.

What he said. :cheers:

The base pads on mine pop off really easily but the lips that hold the metal plate wont allow the spring to just pop out. I seem to have to wiggle the each loop of the spring over the lips.

Same here. I tried to clean them between stages and didnt have enough time so I just tapped and blew on them.

CMC Power8's. About 35 of them. I always wipe them down on the outside and make sure they are free of dust after dropping them on reloads.

But, I replace the springs every few months because I shoot a lot.

I use a solution of Simple Green and water to completely clean and degrease the tubes and followers. I purchased a mag brush from Brownells and run it through the tube once or twice before reassembling.

Just like new. Springs are cheap.

It is worth not having feeding problems keeping the springs strong.

If you compare the lengths of a new versus old spring when you remove it, you see how much they loose with time.

Just like recoil springs.

Oops. Sorry. Kleanbore, not Birchwood Casey. Here is a direct link.

http://www.natchezss...fgSubGroup=4578

Kleenbore Products Mag & Mag Well Cleaning Brushes, Swabbing Mop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KBMAG204 KB MAG/WEL CL BRSH 45/40/38/10M In Stock $3.49

KBMAG206 KB MAG/WEL CL BRSH AR15/M16/AK4 In Stock $4.49

KBMAG202 MAG/WEL BRSH 22/25/380/9MM STAG In Stock $3.49

KBMAG200 MAG/WEL BRSH 22/25/380/9MM STRA In Stock $3.49

KBMAG208 MAG/WEL SWAB 9MM/38/10MM/40/45 In Stock $3.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just what I was looking for thanks!

For all my love for this sport....the only thing I detest is cleaning my SS mags... I normally keep 10-12 CMC Powermags for match purposes. If a few of them get gritty during the match, I send in the second team. If it's a really big round count match....... I hammer every target in hopes of lessening the chances of a mag malfunction... usually dosen't produce very good hits, but my mags run... :)

Cheers!

THG

With my CMC's, when they get dirty they won't drop. I suppose the follower tilts and doesn't have give any pressure to push them out. It's frustrating, but I guess it's better than jams. I feel guilty cleaning my mags while others are taping.

Interesting topic... I've never cleaned any of my 47D at a match before, that is until yesterday. All the open shooters were complaining about having to clean their mags after a stage because there was a forced reload. I was thinking, why??? then I ran the stage, and after I was done, I took a look at my mags that I had dropped.

The sand at this range is terrible, and I could feel the grit in the mag pushing it down with my finger... I stripped them down and cleaned them, and it probably took me 5 minutes, cuz I put the spring in the wrong direction on the first one. I don't clean them very often so I forget which way the spring goes.

I have dropped mags at my home range, and not had any problem, or remember feeling any grit... but this range was really bad.

So now I'm thinking I'll have to keep track of which mags I drop and inspect them to make sure they don't need a quick cleaning.

Brian

During a match, everytime it hits the ground.

Thats all you have to hear! my thoughts exactly

If everybody is standing around brushing out their mags religiously (whether they truly need it or not), who is doing the work to reset the stage???

If everybody is standing around brushing out their mags religiously (whether they truly need it or not), who is doing the work to reset the stage???

All of the people who shoot Glocks :sight::devil:

All of the people who shoot Glocks :sight::devil:

I knew they were going to be good for something sooner or later!