Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need to replace my mp3 player. Which one should I get. I am looking at the Ipod Touch or the Zune. I ride a motorcycle that I can plug the player into.

Please post pro's and con's to each. There is no wrong aswer here.

Thanks

Carl

I really like my Itouch. originaly bought for the music, but have found it extremely useful for applications (shooting related) as well as video and photos. I have no experiance with the zune.

I do also recomend Best Buy and their extended warranty for the Itouch. We have 3 of them at home and two have needed replacement. One the battery went after almost 2 yrs and the other my 10yr old daughter dropped and cracked the screen (it still functioned perfecty). both replaced with no question.

Also get a case for it. Otterbox makes the best IMHO.

An Ipad is next on my list as the bigger size will be most welcome for photos and video.

Edited by mpeltier

The touch gives you so much more then music.

The zune is an mp3 player, with the ability to play FM stations.

The touch is a MP3 / MP4 player, plus the ability to jump on a wireless network when you are taking a break from riding, fire off some emails.. or post here on Enos. Other applications can track all sorts of information, as well as a ton of different applications based upon what you want to do.

It all depends on how you plan on using the device. Do you just want to listen to music, or do you want other options?

If you are talking about the Zune HD its a very level playing field. If we leave out "apps" because we buy a media player to play media, I think that the field actually tilts towards the Zune. Read this review about the Zune HD and remember, that the folks doing the review, are incredibly pro apple.

gizmodo.com/5360126/zune-hd-review-the-pmp-evolved

OK, in terms of it being a music playing device:

Both kind of suck. Neither suck as bad as they used to, but to support good sounding audio on them, you have to go to pretty bulky file sizes. As far as having a quiet design in terms of noise and interference, they are both ok, but not exceptional. both have gapless playback now if you are into live recordings or whole albums. But neither have a good equalizer, which is a VERY useful thing to have in a portable player that might be playing on headphones, in a car, on real speakers, etc.  Digital players WILL replace your cd collection, jsut due to simple convenience. 

In terms of it handling other software: 

Zune HD has the oomph and zune marketplace. But it just doesn't have much in the way of apps. Here the ipod touch wins. It has lots of useful PDA-like functionality that the zune does not. 

In terms of video:

the zune has a better screen. The ipod has more content. 

Accessories:

The ipod is like a glock and an AR-15 rolled into one. Nothing else comes close in after market support. 

In terms of value:

The zune is cheaper.  On top of that, is the zune music subscription model. $14.95 a month, and you can download all the music you want, and at leaast for the time being, keep 10 songs a month permanently (the rest expires when you no longer subscribe). For listening to music, that's an insane value. Assuming the quality of their content is sufficient for your needs. I'm pretty picky, but it's definitely good enough for listening in the car or when working out. For a close listen for enjoyment, I still rip from a CD unless I can get something better digitally.  

Ipod touch. Have 2 32gb now. One I use for when Im riding my bike and the other permanently stays in the center console of my car (I have one of those fancy car sterios that lets you plug a couple usb devices in it). They're also really good for if you NEED to get on the interweb 'right just now' you can so long as you have a wifi signal. But my favorite I-device is my iphone. It does everything the ipod touch can do and more gps, music, phone calls, internet etc.

I am looking at these 2 devices for mostly music. I have a HD Electra-Glide with the stereo, so sound quality is not that important to me. I have found that the quality of the media makes a big difference. I know that there are more apps for the IPod than the Zune. The Zune has the HD radio feature. How well does the radio feature work on the Zune. I had a smaller mp3 player that had an fm receiver that did not have good reception. I am leaning towards the IPod because of the apps, especially the shooting ones.

Carl

iPod touch. No contest, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get the biggest one you can afford. You may think you're only looking for a mp3 player, but when you see all the stuff one of these things can do, you won't be able to resist using all the other toys built into the thing. Now... you will have to import all of your current music into iTunes to get your music into the iPod touch, but iTunes is pretty damned good, too!. Bn

ipod touch - not sure if the 16gb is worth $370 or w/e amazon has it on sale for, thinking about getting the 8gb but not sure if thats enough space for the 3rd party apps I want to add. the only other thing i'm concerned about is battery life..Zune for music and audio podcasts, Touch for Video, internet and Applications. And of course for the "wow" effect.

• 2 weeks later...

ipod touch - not sure if the 16gb is worth $370 <SNIP>

$370 for a 16gb???!?!!?!! That's just can't be right. We bought a 64gb one for $399 (Apple list price) at Best Buy last September. The 8gb is $199 and that would be tight for space I should think, and the 32gb is $299. A 16gb isn't even listed on apple.com now. I get along on my 16gb iPhone though I have to more carefully manage space and I thus don't carry around every scrap of music I have on it; that's what the iPod touch is for. Plus the 8gb iPod touch won't be able to run the multi-tasking features of OS 4.0 when it comes out in several weeks, but the 32 and 64 will.