Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Size Witness Steel in Wonder Finish- cheapest

preventec47

post-24318-127161988909_thumb.jpgI held one of the Witness steel models in my hands at the gun shop in 9mm and

I really liked the feel of it. I am kind of drooling over getting one in

the 10mm caliber as 15 rounds of the full power stuff in a nicely styled

frame is irresitible. I have 45's and 40's so the only reason to get the

pistol is a step up in power level to the 10mm. The problem is I have

a hard time finding good things being said about the pistol... well maybe

it is just the magazines but the whole system has to be reliable.

I want this for carry purposes. I was at first surprised to not see

this particular model mentioned at all in these forums but upon reflection

since you are all competitive shooters, it makes sense.

I would like to infer reliability from the more expensive models but in

this case I dont think it is appropriate. I like to target shoot but

I am not competitive and also need to save money. Does anyone here

have any experience with the entry level Full size witness steel model

of recent production ? This is the only EAA dedicated forum I have

found and normally you would expect the low dollar hi volume item to be

the most discussed.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and info.

I am attaching a photo of the latest version that is comming into the

country that has the accessory rail on the bottom. ( from website)

Scott

Edited by preventec47

I have fired this weapon. It belongs to a guy who shoots steel matches. He loves the weapon just as is. I tried it liked it and bought the Elite Match ($60.00 more but I wanted a SA trigger).

His weapon has been 100% reliable. Mine is back for firing pin issues after only 200 rounds. Good news is that the issues with bad customer service have not affected me, but the shipping charges are all mine.

Both weapons handle recoil like a 9mm. Softer than any full size .45 I have ever shot.

You may or may not have issues with the weapon you purchase, but once you work through them the end result is very worth while.

Best wishes. :)

post-24318-127161988909_thumb.jpgI held one of the Witness steel models in my hands at the gun shop in 9mm and

I really liked the feel of it. I am kind of drooling over getting one in

the 10mm caliber as 15 rounds of the full power stuff in a nicely styled

frame is irresitible. I have 45's and 40's so the only reason to get the

pistol is a step up in power level to the 10mm. The problem is I have

a hard time finding good things being said about the pistol... well maybe

it is just the magazines but the whole system has to be reliable.

I want this for carry purposes. I was at first surprised to not see

this particular model mentioned at all in these forums but upon reflection

since you are all competitive shooters, it makes sense.

I would like to infer reliability from the more expensive models but in

this case I dont think it is appropriate. I like to target shoot but

I am not competitive and also need to save money. Does anyone here

have any experience with the entry level Full size witness steel model

of recent production ? This is the only EAA dedicated forum I have

found and normally you would expect the low dollar hi volume item to be

the most discussed.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and info.

I am attaching a photo of the latest version that is comming into the

country that has the accessory rail on the bottom. ( from website)

Scott

post-24318-127161988909_thumb.jpg The problem is I have

a hard time finding good things being said about the pistol

Most of the issues I have read about were from people who never changed the recoil springs out. The stock spring on the 10mm's is way underpowered. My slide was hitting the frame with over the counter ammo (which is comparable to .40 S&W). I questioned a few people on 10mm talk and it seems that everyone with cracked slides and beat out guide rod seats was using either the stock spring, or a stiffer Wolff (which still isn't enough). If you want to have the pistol last and function better I'd suggest the Recoil Reducer guide rod from Sprinco (http://sprinco.com/recoil.html). Ever since installing that my guiderod seat hasn't peened nor has my slide hit the frame. I shoot 155gr handloads at 1400 fps. However I had to shortened my ejector pin as my brass was flying 30 feet (even with the Sprinco dual stage guiderod). I still need to take it down more but its less than 1/2 the length it was. I haven't had any issues with my 2 year old "Match" in over 1500 rounds so far (except for the sear). Both my Match 10mm and my Limited 9mm were experiencing hammer follow after a few hundred rounds. I had to fix the stock sears as they are soft and the bottom edge rounds off, making it so the sear won't stay hooked. The EGW sear is a better way to go, but you then lose the use of the firing pin block (which its debatable if the Tanfoglio firing pin block has any value).

The only pistol you would be able to find for around $500 that I would consider "better" (in construction) would be a used S&W 10XX series pistol, but I personally don't like the ergonomics compared to the Tanfoglio. Plus the Tanfoglio is a double stack magazine.. :)

- Nealio

Edited by Nealio

From what I have seen the 10mm EAA pistols do not have feeding issues because the rounds are so much longer than .40 or 9mm. The longer rounds promote better feeding than the shorter rounds. Most of the magazine feeding issues are due to them being designed around the longer rounds and then they try to repurpose them to work with the shorter rounds. This does not work out so well.

Just as you said before, most of the people that frequent this forum are competition shooters and 10mm is not very competition friendly. The price of the 10mm brass is way more expensive than .40 brass so that in its self keeps competition shooters from using it.

The price of the 10mm brass is way more expensive than .40 brass so that in its self keeps competition shooters from using it.

I think this is true for used brass as you can get .40 for almost nothing, and 10mm is very hard to find. However, for new Starline brass its only $6 difference for 1000 cases..

Yes, but competition shooters are not shooting new brass all the time because of the cost. Its a lot cheaper just to get once fired .40 brass and reuse it until its either lost or the case starts to split.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Witness Steel Standard model in 45acp. This is the new one with the rail and contoured slide. I owned an older 90's model in both 40 S&W and 45acp. The 40 was never reliable and I got rid of it. I fired thousands of rounds through the 45, both factory ammo and reloads, shooting IPSIC and IDPA style matches. Never had a problem with it. I sold it to a co-worker about a year ago and picked up a Taurus PT145 because I wanted a lighter carry gun. Didn't like the Taurus, so traded it in on the new Witness 45. I love the gun and use it in local club matches and for concealed carry. I've only shot factory ammo in it so for, and it has been great, reliable and accurate. I'm working up a load for reloading now, and I expect it to be fine with the same loads I was using in the old one.

bluestringer

I have an old S&W 1006 stainless. It holds 9 rounds of 10mm, and weighs a ton. If you ran out of ammo, and got into a bind, you could pummel the bad guys with the thing, or use it as a battering ram on bolted doors.

But, it functions well with all types of ammo, including hydrashock, starfire, and black talon, even the Impact brand hps that I have for it. It has yet to jam, I can shoot it more than reasonably well at distances out to 25yds, and I have found it for the most part reliable.

No kind of racegun though. And I second the ergonomics being wrong. But it has been reliable.

cant speak for that specific model but i run a EAA Limited and love it..if ya load long 1.180, keep mag lips tuned it will eat anything I put in it..I shoot nothing but range brass and resize with a "U" die.

I own a Witness Steel in 40 S&W, pre-acc. rail, and I'm very pleased with it. I added a 14 lb. hammer spring and a Wolff 8 lb. recoil spring. I shoot very light loads in it for the local steel shoots and the gun functions flawlessly. The sights are the only thing lacking, but for the $400 price tag, I can live with that. In 10mm Auto, I have an IAI (AMT, long story for another time) stainless steel 1911 made in 1992. It looks like a Colt Delta Elite and is a very accurate gun. I think it has a 20 lb. recoil spring. I'd shoot reduced loads in it for steel plates if not for the cost of brass. If I hadn't found the IAI 1911 I'd probably have bought a Witness in 10mm Auto by now. I love the 10mm Auto cartridge.

If you do a Search on almost any firearm forum you will find a history of problems with EEA and Witnesses. My advice if you want a CZ type pistol in 10MM is to wait until next month when the new Bren Ten will be out. Yes I know it's more money, but I have faith it will be a much better pistol. Go here for more info: http://www.sportingproducts.com/

Edited by Gary1911A1

Wasn't the Bren Ten brought out a few years ago as the latest and greatest version of any gun ever built and then flopped because of QC and operational problems? I have a couple of EAA's and have fired several thousand rounds thru them with no problems. They are not 10mm and that may be a ammo specific problem.

Somthing else you can do..... buy a .40 S&W and have the chamber reamed to 10 mm. Most smiths have these reamers or buy the 10mm barrel. (Only applys to the large frame recent pistols).