Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, all the manufacturers seem to call them yard (or lawn) and garden tractors...so no, they're not a large farm tractor, but they're still a form of tractor.

Not to farmers or Tractor dealers.

Most are just beefed up versions of riding mowers.

Some do have hydrolics and they are even starting to make them with small diesels.

Although you might be able to kill 2 birds with one of the bigger L & G tractors.

Think snow blower attachment or bucket / blade and next winter. :cheers:

Edited by hitman

Sounds like you are not wanting to spend a whole lot but the saying "You get what you pay for" really holds true with mowers. I just bought an Exmark last week, commercial model. They have 0% for 24 months or 3.9 for 5 years right now until Apr. 30th. Scag, Ferris, Hustler are all good machines as well. Trust me once you cut grass on a zero turn you will never cut on anything else. And if you want something that is going to last then stamped deck = crap. That usually is the life of the mower. A good engine will outlast a stamped deck. Just sold a Kubota because they wanted 1350 dollars for another stamped deck, mine was just about rusted out. Engine was still going strong with over 15 years on it.

Edited by barney88pdc

I have one of these: http://www.hustlerturf.com/products.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=1

Good engine, great deck, and the mulching kit takes care of all the clippings. I mow about an acre, with lots of trees and stuff to avoid, and it takes about 2 hours or so.

Troy

Turns out they have a dealer that's literally a quarter mile off my normal route home...going to try and stop by and take a look at them...thanks. R,

Sounds like you are not wanting to spend a whole lot but the saying "You get what you pay for" really holds true with mowers. I just bought an Exmark last week, commercial model. They have 0% for 24 months or 3.9 for 5 years right now until Apr. 30th. Scag, Ferris, Hustler are all good machines as well. Trust me once you cut grass on a zero turn you will never cut on anything else. And if you want something that is going to last then stamped deck = crap. That usually is the life of the mower. A good engine will outlast a stamped deck. Just sold a Kubota because they wanted 1350 dollars for another stamped deck, mine was just about rusted out. Engine was still going strong with over 15 years on it.

I think it's a matter of perspective.....the average Joe doesn't drop $3K or so to cut their grass, so saying I don't want to spend a whole lot is maybe stretching it a bit. :) No, I'm not going to spend $5-6K even though I'm 100% certain they're superior machines. I'm looking at maybe cutting my grass once a week and I don't know where we'll be living in a year or two, so dropping a ton of cash on something that may not be needed doesn't make much sense. I do know I don't want to rely on somebody else and have them cut it on their schedule and that's really driving things.

I just walked outside and counted trees...more than I thought....30 to negotiate (give or take a couple that are on a line between our place and the neighbors (we're friendly so overlap isn't a big deal). I think that seals the deal for a ZT model.

G-man here is what I ride http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=176 It is not a Zero turn but as near as you can get to one 24hp 4x4. I had about 40-50 peach trees in the yard and this would get under them. My peach trees got old and died but I have 120+ oak trees on 3 acres, mow the whole thing in 45 minutes even if it is 2 ft high.

You want a Zero Turn because you don't want to spend endless hour weed eating around stuff the Zero will take care of 90% of that wasted time.

I bought this thing used for $3K put $300 worth of parts in it and its been running every since. My father in law wore out a 26hp lawn tractor and is on his second engine on a Kubota Gas powdered Zero turn. Diesel buy one that will last. I've got 2600 hours on it and expect it to go 10,000 hours with no problems.

But if you got to buy a gas powered Zero Turn SCAG is the best one I have driven. Why mow at 2-3mp when you can mow at 10-12mph. Zero turn is very easy takes only a few minutes to learn. Now my rear wheel steer machine its more like driving a boat.

I also have a 12-13hp Diesel Tractor style mower that mowes plenty fast but it took 3 hours to mow the yard and 4 hours of weed eating. Before that I had a gas 26hp and it just took all day to mow.

Edited by CocoBolo

This is the perfect machine - http://cgi.ebay.com/KUBOTA-ZD28-DIESEL-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOWER-LAWNMOWER-ZD-28-/110520791529?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bb8d71e9

It takes about a gallon of Diesel to mow my 3 acres I run all summer on a tank of fuel.

Here is what a SCAG looks like http://cgi.ebay.com/SCAG-FREEDOM-Z-ZERO-TURN-48-COMMERCIAL-MOWER-/190388018974?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c54029f1e

There is more steel in the deck of one of these than the whole mower in those cheap residential rigs. Built to last and they do.

If you get any air cooled machine just remember to take the cowling off the engine every year and clean it. You can't just blow it out. If you don't they over heat and its toast.

Edited by CocoBolo

I have one of these: http://www.hustlerturf.com/products.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=1

Good engine, great deck, and the mulching kit takes care of all the clippings. I mow about an acre, with lots of trees and stuff to avoid, and it takes about 2 hours or so.

Troy

Troy,

I stopped by the local Hustler place and wow, much nicer construction all around...welded steel deck, beefy tubular steel frame, etc. I only looked at the 48" Sport model, but it was clearly a step up in durability. I was really hoping to get something with a V-twin, but for the money I think I'd rather have the better frame and deck and deal with a bit more noise and vibration. I'm sorta leaning that way now. R,

This is the perfect machine - http://cgi.ebay.com/KUBOTA-ZD28-DIESEL-ZERO-TURN-LAWN-MOWER-LAWNMOWER-ZD-28-/110520791529?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bb8d71e9

It takes about a gallon of Diesel to mow my 3 acres I run all summer on a tank of fuel.

Here is what a SCAG looks like http://cgi.ebay.com/SCAG-FREEDOM-Z-ZERO-TURN-48-COMMERCIAL-MOWER-/190388018974?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c54029f1e

There is more steel in the deck of one of these than the whole mower in those cheap residential rigs. Built to last and they do.

If you get any air cooled machine just remember to take the cowling off the engine every year and clean it. You can't just blow it out. If you don't they over heat and its toast.

No way I could get that Kubota in my shed! :surprise:

Troy

Troy,

I stopped by the local Hustler place and wow, much nicer construction all around...welded steel deck, beefy tubular steel frame, etc. I only looked at the 48" Sport model, but it was clearly a step up in durability. I was really hoping to get something with a V-twin, but for the money I think I'd rather have the better frame and deck and deal with a bit more noise and vibration. I'm sorta leaning that way now. R,

Yeah, that's what sold me on it, because while I'm not too hard on the mower, my wife and kids don't really care what the deck hits. After literally chewing through two decks in a year because they bent them and the blade hit the inside, I went with a pretty much indestructible deck. Of course, I bitched enough about the deck damage that they quit mowing, which is fine, too. My mower deck is 42", so I can get around the landscaping. I wish it was a little bigger, but the whole package works so well I don't mind much. The cost was a little higher than the other ZTR or tractor styles, but you also don't have to spend a lot to keep it going, either. The older I get, the more I realize that all the old adages are right--you get what you pay for; quality doesn't cost, etc. Good luck with the mower search.

Troy

http://www.exmark.com/QuestSP.htm this is the model I went with. The "SP" model is new for 2010 and is a commercial unit. The regular Quest is there home owners model and does not have some of the upgraded parts and such as well as a Briggs engine as opposed the the Kawasaki. My dad has a Ferris with a Kawasaki and it has been going strong for over 10 years. Edited by barney88pdc

IMO you have a good idea of what features are important for long term durability.

If I missed it sorry, but I haven't seen anyone mention the difference in the quality of hydraulics between your standard ZT available at the big box stores (going by any number of brand names and 95% of them are built by MTD), and a nicer consumer grade machine built by primarily commercial equipment Manufacturers. eg. Husky, Exmark, some Toro, SCAG You might pay slightly more for quality, but a new deck spindle for one of those MTD stamped decks will run you about $110 after shipping. They are cast aluminum and the mounting points snap off pretty easily. We've replaced no less than 7 of them on our office mower. Clean the yard of sticks first and avoid ruts and they are fine though.

You will have more issues with hydraulics and deck spindles out of the low end ZT mowers.

The Husky you are looking at is pretty nice IMO. Consider looking on Craig's list and the newspaper for a used commercial grade mower. I bet you could find an Exmark or SCAG that would be affordable and last you a lifetime. :cheers:

Well, I went with a 48" Hustler...it'll get dropped off on Friday and we'll see how it does. I measured a couple of areas in my yard and the Husky would have been a tight fit, or wouldn't have quite made it. The Hustler seemed to be a step up in durability (deck, heavier frame) and easier service access. Surprisingly, the Hustler is 60lbs heavier, and it's visible smaller, besides the smaller deck...that's steel somewhere. I swear I never would have thought I'd drop $3600 on a mower, so it had better be fun too ;-)

Edited by G-ManBart

New machine got here at 6pm and the whole yard was done before 7pm....yeah baby! Please excuse the pasty white legs. Unseen in my pocket is a Kahr PM9 loaded with 7 Speer 147gr JHPs. Hearing protection is a set of MSA Sordin Supreme Pros :)

1272073951.jpg

Edited by G-ManBart

Cool, not a bad little mower. If you can do it in a hour you can mow and then got to the match now problem. A tractor style would have taken you twice the time or more, plus the weed eating. $3600 isn't much, when you consider that your time is valuable. If my time M-F is $50 an hour my time on S-S is $100 hour. Looks like that mower will pay for its self in about 6 months.

Edited by CocoBolo

Cool, not a bad little mower. If you can do it in a hour you can mow and then got to the match now problem. A tractor style would have taken you twice the time or more, plus the weed eating. $3600 isn't much, when you consider that your time is valuable. If my time M-F is $50 an hour my time on S-S is $100 hour. Looks like that mower will pay for its self in about 6 months.

Yeah, it seems to be built like a little tank....600lbs! The delivery guys got here at 6, unloaded, walked me through the features etc, so I figure it was 6:15 or a bit later when I started and it was a bit before 7 when I was finished. Heck, I could probably mow, weed eat and blow off the sidewalk/driveway in an hour from start to finish now that I've found the deck setting that seems to work etc. I can handle an hour a week and not waiting on someone else!

• 1 month later...

You will be glad you bought the Hustler rather than the Husqvarna. Hustler builds commercial/industrial mowers primarily. You just bought their introductory model but the quality of construction is there. Husqvarna is the company that builds Sears mowers up to this year when they lost the contract. To the gentleman that asked about the Deere LA135 I just bought one this spring to mow the lawn area around our property. It is great. Plenty of power, easy for the wife to use when I am out of town. It is not a commercial machine like the Hustler but in the under $2000 range it is quite nice. The big difference between a high quality machine and the low end brands like Murray and MTD is the quality of cut, especially when the grass is high.

You will be glad you bought the Hustler rather than the Husqvarna. Hustler builds commercial/industrial mowers primarily. You just bought their introductory model but the quality of construction is there. Husqvarna is the company that builds Sears mowers up to this year when they lost the contract. To the gentleman that asked about the Deere LA135 I just bought one this spring to mow the lawn area around our property. It is great. Plenty of power, easy for the wife to use when I am out of town. It is not a commercial machine like the Hustler but in the under $2000 range it is quite nice. The big difference between a high quality machine and the low end brands like Murray and MTD is the quality of cut, especially when the grass is high.

Yep, I haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like (rain, rain, go away!), but I'm very pleased with it so far and I expect it's going to last a long time. Now I just need to get the wife running it :P

Yep, I haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like (rain, rain, go away!), but I'm very pleased with it so far and I expect it's going to last a long time. Now I just need to get the wife running it :P

Heh. Keep her away from the vehicles. I put my wife on mine when I first got it, and the first thing she did was run into the back of my daughters car. :roflol:

No damage, but she won't run it now.... :(

Troy

I went with this one, mostly because I don't have many turns just a large area. The 54 inch deck cuts about 2 and 1/2 acres in about an hour and a half. It was pricey but realistically may be the last mower I ever buy.

X500_54_457185_large.jpg

Edited by boz1911