Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New mag button

Corey

So i have little hands and im getting tired of flipping my 1911 in my hands so my thumb can get to the mag button. even with my VZ grips with the thumb recess in them, i still cant reach the dang button. I was thinking about adding one of these to assist me. any compatibility issues with a Colt XSE? difficulty level of the install? seems like it ought to be semi-straightforward...

Is your current mag release drilled and tapped? If not, you will need to replace with one that is drilled and tapped.

If your mag release is drilled and tapped all you have to do is screw on the new button. You may have to remove a little material from the grip in order to get full movement for the release.

I have the same problem and I use the paddle from STI, works like a charm.

ill have to look into the drill and tap issue. ive seen the STI one before too but recently saw this one. Im not terribly specific on which one i want, just something along those lines....

Note that for table starts you'll want a heavier mag catch spring to avoid an additional reload after that first shot and realizing what happened.

Ive heard that can be an issue. hopefully the dawson magwell im going to order will aid in preventing that problem. only time will tell :)

As for needing a a drilled and tapped release...is it just a matter of ordering one, swapping it for the current one then screwing on the new button? seems easy enough :sight:

Note that for table starts you'll want a heavier mag catch spring to avoid an additional reload after that first shot and realizing what happened.

Ive heard that can be an issue. hopefully the dawson magwell im going to order will aid in preventing that problem. only time will tell :)

As for needing a a drilled and tapped release...is it just a matter of ordering one, swapping it for the current one then screwing on the new button? seems easy enough :sight:

Yes! thats all there is to it. Plus a lot of the 1911 drilled and tapped mag catch seem to come with a button. You could try one like that and then start buying buttons.

I have one of these http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Ed-Brown-Magazine-release-1911-with-Button-Blue-P260.aspx

Edited by werewolf45auto

http://www.jimjoycecustom.com/default.html

This particular one was a Wilson paddle that has been cut down significantly since this photo was taken. A cut down (smaller length)aluminum one is being made by Jim Joyce at his shop. It has this shape and look, but smaller in length. Contact him as he may have pics already. My other 1911 now has one of his mag buttons, but is in his shop for other work so I can't get a photo of it.

Paul

post-11000-127147065761_thumb.jpg

someone made a cheap version of this. It was hard on my hand and tall. I ground off the paddle and use it on my single stack .45 with the thick Burner grips. It is just right.

Another option would be to get the Cylinder and Slide ambidextrous magazine release and use your trigger finger to hit it. I use on because I'm a lefty but I'm sure it would work for your trigger finger. I've been using one for about a year without any problems. I did file it down a little because it was hitting my holster on the draw.

I have short, fat fingers and have never met a mag release I can reach without a major gun shift. I have gone to the "offside" mag release where I release the mag with the index finger of my right (strong) hand. It works really great for me, although I still have to shift my hand just a little. An added benifit is that your finger will be out of the trigger guard everytime. I had a little trouble finding one for my STI, but I found one.

thanks,

George