Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Use Between Stages?

ogiebb

If you think a recoil master is for you, use the HEAVY one, that is what it is designed for, the light is designed for 9mm and open guns. However, if you use it in a major match, you might want to make sure you have a regular guide-rod as a spare, just in case your RM shiznets the bed mid-match (It happens quite frequently)

Guest Larry Cazes

Just another data point. My wife and I shoot local matches every weekend and I only clean our guns every 6-8 weeks. She is shooting a Valtro 1911 and I'm running a P14 and a brand new SV .40 limited gun. They both feed flawlessly dirty. I justify the work of a full cleaning to put in clean slide glide and to remove barrel fouling, not as an aid to feeding. I also load using Hornady OneShot lube and leave it on the cases, still no problems with function.

Larry

Ditto Dave and Rufus. STI ships Edges with light RecoilMasters? That would be bizarre when their documentation specifies heavy for such guns.

An easy test would be to toss in a standard guide rod and 14# spring.

Another thing to do is to not make any judgements until you have over 1,000 rounds through it.

the recoil master i got was a green one not the orange therefore light ....im going to order some steel or tungsten guide rods tom..until i can get a the recoil master to work or get a heavier one..any suggestions about a magwell as well? speedshooters sells the ice for almost the same as dawson but they give out an extra insert does dawson also give out an extra one?....thanks

Is it possible your problems (occasional jams) are caused by the ammo you're using? I'm under the impression that most of the S_I .40 cal pistols work best with .40 ammo loaded longer than factory spec. The Win white box stuff might just be too short to feed reliably.

DogmaDog

Guest Larry Cazes

Lots of good suggestions here already.....After rereading your original post I would also suggest that you measure the width of the magazine feedlips. If all of your issues are with nosedives into the ramp they may be too close together at the front of the mag. Both spacing and taper front to back are important here. There are many previous threads with typical dimensions for STI mags.

Larry