Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

'Nother New One From Texas

Old Rascal

Hi all,

I'm in the Houston area and already belong to PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood...

Had thought I might give IDPA a try but after a few days lurking on here and discovering all I need to learn I'm beginning to wonder...

Got a million questions and I've already answered the first million just by reading past threads...

I'm afraid I'll be getting a lot more out of this place than I will be offering back for quite a while...

davek

Hi all,

I'm in the Houston area and already belong to PSC Shooting Club in Friendswood...

Had thought I might give IDPA a try but after a few days lurking on here and discovering all I need to learn I'm beginning to wonder...

Got a million questions and I've already answered the first million just by reading past threads...

I'm afraid I'll be getting a lot more out of this place than I will be offering back for quite a while...

davek

Dave, I shoot @ PSC. they had a steel plate shoot last Sunday. All you need is a lot of ammo, a holster, gun, and 4 or 5 mags. I brought 2 newbies out and they had a blast. Very good for beginners, no pressure.We just started shooting IDPA and USPSA a couple of months ago and it is great. All of the shooters are friendly and willing to help. It is a great time. Come on out.

gerritm

Hi all,

davek

Hi Dave, welcome to the best shooting forum on the planet - you're starting in the right place! The Space City Challenge USPSA match will be at the PSC range this weekend, a lot of folks from this forum will be there, including myself. If you have time come on out and watch some of the action, introduce yourself and ask questions - you'll get a good idea of what USPSA is all about, and get to see what a major match is like first hand. Hope to see you there!

Hi all,

davek

Hi Dave, welcome to the best shooting forum on the planet - you're starting in the right place! The Space City Challenge USPSA match will be at the PSC range this weekend, a lot of folks from this forum will be there, including myself. If you have time come on out and watch some of the action, introduce yourself and ask questions - you'll get a good idea of what USPSA is all about, and get to see what a major match is like first hand. Hope to see you there!

Dave, I am shooting or at least trying to shoot this Space City Challenge this Saturday. This will be my first major match. I am unclassified so I will be shooting for fun and the experience. Come on out and check it out. The cool thing about all of this shooting is the people. Everyone you meet is great and no one treats you like you are not important. There are no range snobs. It is all a learning experience. Everyone is willing to teach and help. Here is a link to the match and to Bay Area Practical shooters, who put on a lot of the USPSA and steel shoots @ PSC.

http://www.texassouthsection.com/

gerritm

Hi Old Rascal,

if you're a PSC member, you should come out this weekend for the Space City Challenge.

PSC has one monthly USPSA match and one Steel Challenge match every month.

I am sure Tom Neal or Jim Duncan will be glad to see you at the matches.

Welcome to the forum!

Roman

Evening all...

I'm leaning towards making it out to the Space City Challenge on Friday when the RO's shoot. Figure it will be a little less crowded and I might be able to ask a few more of my million questions.

Depending on how it goes maybe go back on Saturday (I have the added benefit that my grandson lives only a couple of miles from PSC)...

Still got lots of stuff to figure so I'm sure I'll be picking a few brains but I'm leaning towards trying IDPA so some of the mileage may vary...

I did call IDPA headquarters and get one of my questions answered. I can re-barrel a 38 Super Lightweight Commander to 9mm and compete in ESP... The answer I got from IPDA was that because the Commander is not a caliber specific model I can make the switch so long as the barrel configuration remains the same...

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it...

davek

Hi, Dave and welcome. I will be ROing at Space City at PSC and shooting on Friday. I will post when I find out what stage I will be working. We will be setting up tomorrow which will also be a good time to ask questions.

Regards,

Jack

Well, I made it out to the first day of The Space City Challenge and it made for an interesting day…

Met several members of Team Amish and my first thought was “Geez they let these guys out without a handler?”…

I have to admit they did teach me a lot though. Jack explained there was a special way to load Glock magazines and offered to give me a lesson… When I told him I didn’t own a Glock he said “Oh you will someday, trust me”… Over the course of the day I think he let me load about 79 magazines before he said I had it down right… But on the good side he didn’t make me pay anything for the lesson…

A little later I ran into Bill… Told him he didn’t look anything like the way he looked in Caddyshack and he allowed as how it was all in the makeup… He also told me about the little known rule in the USPSA book that says you’re not eligible to shoot a match until you’ve pasted 1,000 IPSC targets and reset 500 steel… At the end of the session he said he thought I would qualify by close of day tomorrow if I kept up the good effort…

Saw a bunch of guys shoot a bunch of different pistols… And I did have a seriously good time… Probably going to have to give this a try…

It was nice meeting you, Dave. You definitely made Master class in taping straight out of the box.

I noticed that at some point while you were loading my mags you did the "Tom Sawyer-painting the fence bit" and some how got the match director, Tom Croissant, to load them. Very impressive for the first time out. Everyone knows how hard it is to get any work out of a match director! :roflol:

Take care,

Jack

I was out there on Friday and met Bill from the Amish shooters. I did see one lone guy taping and loading and I just thought he was in RO training. I got a chance to check out the stages, didn't really help much. I had some equipment problems on Saturday when my squad shot. Mostly user error, but I won't go into it. What a great match and bunch of guys. The RO's were professional and offered some tips when needed. This was my first big match. The match went very well and efficient. I had a blast. Dave when you decide to shoot one of these @ PSC, the IDPA shoot next Saturday or when ever you are ready, let me know. I would be happy to squad with you.

Well after saying I might make it out Friday I ended up spending all three freaking days at the match...

Met a whole bunch of great folks including the Amish Glee Club from here on Friday...

Saturday began on a high note when I introduced myself to the gracious Ms. Rhonda from this site... Then I spent most of the rest of the day in the company of the dynamic duo from Louisiana... Folks, Max Sr. is a hell of an ambassador for this sport... He literally tried to explain everything to me even to the extent that he would tell me how to run a stage with 10 round magazines... Unbelievable... Plus Winston, his running buddy, let it be known that he didn't start USPSA until he was 59 and he's a class A shooter today at 73...

Sunday I got up and decided I had to go watch Jordan, my new Red Raider buddy, shoot... As luck would have it he was in a squad with the high overall Open shooter so there was a lot to watch...

Learned a lot... Met absolutely great people... And caught the bug really bad...

Guess it's time to find a holster, mag holders and belt and get this show on the road...

davek