Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g19 for production?

whitedog

You are going to get lots of responses saying, you need a G34 for sight radius, or a G17 handles better, or that you are at a disadvantage with a G19.... but I say bring it out and shoot it. The only thing Glocks really need to be better guns are a 25 cent polishing job on the trigger parts, and a decent set of sights.... the stock sights are ok til you can get better ones. Bring it out, wring it out, and have fun. ;)

I know somebody who did very well competing with a G26 for a couple of years.....

I know of a dad now, who shoots Limited with a G-26 and 15 round mags, so his daughter can shoot the family G-19 with 15 rounders in Limited. They both have fun, and are both learning....

Run it. At the end of the year, you'll know that gun well....

If I could only have one gun, it would be a G19. It's a great gun to start with because you can use it to really build your skills. Get some cheap ammo for practice and spend some money to get some decent ammo for matches (e.g. Atlanta Arms 147gr or 124gr) and some basic gear and shoot.

Last Sept. at C-ville, OH...on a stage that had lots of long-range shooting...

With at least 3 GM's (National Champ included) and 5 current Masters standing on that stage, the shooter that showed be best accuracy...regardless of gun platform or division...was a shooting a G19.

Good afternoon,

I have a G19 that is my favorite gun to shoot. I'm an amateur to be sure, but I find that with 147 grain bullets and Titegroup powder the G19 is just a dream to shoot. I can't honestly tell you why, but I like it better and seem to shoot it better than a G17 or G22(loaded down to minor). Probably all in my head.

I'd give it a shot and see how you like it. If nothing else, it will be great experience and you can't put a price on the camaraderie and enjoyment of shooting regardless of how you place! I could come in dead last, but shooting my G19 I'd still be a happy camper, and I get to enjoy my friends at the range.

Take care, and enjoy.

Warmest regards,

Rob

G19 is a great platform, and as everyone has said, run whatcha brung. However, watch the meat of your strong hand palm when it's reload time. WHEN you pinch it... not IF, but WHEN, don't let your hand cringe up and drop the gun. Otherwise, have a GREAT time.

Mac

would i be pinching it on the mag release???? i've already had it happen many times. all things have their negatives i guess. i don't really know if i'm going to shoot pro or ss, but i figure a 9 is easier to learn the game with. i might be wrong...we'll find out i guess.

thanks guys, all info is good info.

would i be pinching it on the mag release???? i've already had it happen many times. all things have their negatives i guess. i don't really know if i'm going to shoot pro or ss, but i figure a 9 is easier to learn the game with. i might be wrong...we'll find out i guess.

thanks guys, all info is good info.

No, it's more common to get the fleshy part of your strong hand caught between the edge of the magwell and the mag. It's just sharp enough to cut you when you whack the mag home. I've done this on both a G22 and G23, but it's more likely on the G23/19 sized guns since the grip is shorter.

I say take it out and shoot some matches...that's the best way to tell and even though it lacks some sight radius, it's not a bad choice if you can shoot it well. I shoot my 23 about as well as I shoot my 22...close enough that it wouldn't make much, if any, difference. R,

I have been shooting a Glock 19 in matches for 2 years now. I shoot it better than my Glock 17. I have pinched my palm between the magwell and the mag a few times. One fix I found was use my glock 17 mags in the glock 19. I just got my first 1911 a springfield 9mm. I was using it for a 3 day defensive pistol class. By lunch time of the second day I was getting tired of all the FTF's, so I switched back to my trusty Glock 19. It was like putting on an old well broken in pair of shoes. It just felt good. So go ahead like everyone else said and shoot the 19. There are always several others shooting compact glocks at our matches.

I have been shooting a Glock 19 in matches for 2 years now. I shoot it better than my Glock 17. I have pinched my palm between the magwell and the mag a few times. One fix I found was use my glock 17 mags in the glock 19. I just got my first 1911 a springfield 9mm. I was using it for a 3 day defensive pistol class. By lunch time of the second day I was getting tired of all the FTF's, so I switched back to my trusty Glock 19. It was like putting on an old well broken in pair of shoes. It just felt good. So go ahead like everyone else said and shoot the 19. There are always several others shooting compact glocks at our matches.

For what it's worth I saw a fellow shooting a G23 in Production at Area 6 Championship this past weekend and was doing very well with it. When I asked him about it, he said it just seemed to fit his hand better than the G22/35.