Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver reloads...where matches are lost.

signsrup

I wanted to shoot a new piece (off the clock) yesterday, and stepped in on a local match with a few revolver shooters. The best of those shooting revolver yesterday was also one of the newest. One of the reasons he's good, and fast, is his reload practice. This, for me, is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game. It's really easy to watch a match go downhill with "fumbly" reloads.

Expensive equipment won't fix it. If you have dirty reloads with an HKS, you're probably going to do the same with Comp's or Jets. Dry practice does work wonders, and i'm working hard on this, as I have limited shooting time, but it's pretty easy to find 5 minutes a day practicing transitions and reloads.

I ran across this video and found it helpful.

Eric

Mas Ayoob is an old shooting friend of mine from when I first started competing in New England back in the '80s. His "Stressfire" revolver reload is a very valid defensive technique, but I would not recommend it for serious competition revolver shooters who are looking for the fastest possible reloads. There are methods of recharging the wheelgun that are still solid and significantly faster.

Or so it seems to me.

Maybe instead of moonclips, we could each have six 625's and just holster and draw a new gun as needed. Just a thought.

Mike

sounds dangerously close to Cowboy action shooting.Where you go to the line with, 2 six shooters a 1873 rifle and a SxS shotgun :wacko::roflol:

Carmoney....I'm all ears...and eyes. Any reloading help for a noob gamer is appreciated. Maybe Massaad's reloads look so good, because i'm historically so bad.

I agree that we could all save alot of trouble, and go to the line armed like Josey Wales. I would happily draw a 32 Colt out of my vest pocket to finish the last string if it would save me from another reload.

Respectfully,

Scared O. Reloads

I wanted to shoot a new piece (off the clock) yesterday, and stepped in on a local match with a few revolver shooters. The best of those shooting revolver yesterday was also one of the newest. One of the reasons he's good, and fast, is his reload practice. This, for me, is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game. It's really easy to watch a match go downhill with "fumbly" reloads.

Expensive equipment won't fix it. If you have dirty reloads with an HKS, you're probably going to do the same with Comp's or Jets. Dry practice does work wonders, and i'm working hard on this, as I have limited shooting time, but it's pretty easy to find 5 minutes a day practicing transitions and reloads.

I ran across this video and found it helpful.

Eric

Seriously, When I started shooting a revolver (worked for Private security company wanted to look cool at qualification time :rolleyes: ) I loaded up 3 safariland speed loaders with 18 dummy rounds and practiced everyday. I reloaded standing still, moving forward & backward kneeling down. Saw Jerry Miculek smoke with moonclips. thought man that is the way to go. It all depends on how far you are willing to take

It's really easy to watch a match go downhill with "fumbly" reloads...

...Maybe Massaad's reloads look so good, because i'm historically so bad.

Well, if your problem is fumbliness, I'm not sure the particular style of reload is the initial problem. I'm no expert, but I've improved my reloading considerably by making reloads one of the staples of a regular dry fire regiment.

I had a thread running where I asked whether it's better to practice full speedloader reloads where the dummy rounds are released into the cylinder each and every reload. A lot can be said for doing it that way, but you get far fewer reloads practiced per session that way. Importantly, if fumbliness is the problem, the fumbliness may be happening before the rounds even get released. If so, consider also working Burkett reloads into your regiment.

With a Burkett reload, you start off pointed at a target, then do a reload, but (in the case of a pistol), not insert the mag into the gun. Simply present it at the mag opening on the pistol. In the case of a revolver, then, I simply get the charged speedloader into the cylinder. I don't release the rounds and close the cylinder.

'Course, I practice full reloads as well, as you'll need to figure out how to re-establish your grip, etc.

edit: oh, yeah, and if fumbliness is the problem, I'd ditch the par timer if you're using one. Just work on smooth. JMHO. :cheers:

Tom

Edited by GrandBoule

It's really easy to watch a match go downhill with "fumbly" reloads...

...Maybe Massaad's reloads look so good, because i'm historically so bad.

Well, if your problem is fumbliness, I'm not sure the particular style of reload is the initial problem. I'm no expert, but I've improved my reloading considerably by making reloads one of the staples of a regular dry fire regiment.

With a Burkett reload, you start off pointed at a target, then do a reload, but (in the case of a pistol), not insert the mag into the gun. Simply present it at the mag opening on the pistol. In the case of a revolver, then, I simply get the charged speedloader into the cylinder. I don't release the rounds and close the cylinder.

'Course, I practice full reloads as well, as you'll need to figure out how to re-establish your grip, etc.

edit: oh, yeah, and if fumbliness is the problem, I'd ditch the par timer if you're using one. Just work on smooth. JMHO. :cheers:

Tom

Maybe it is just me but, if you don't release the rounds, close the cylinder and come back on line, find your sights. your not completing the reload.

Maybe it is just me but, if you don't release the rounds, close the cylinder and come back on line, find your sights. your not completing the reload.

You're not finishing the reload, but you're doing the hard part for many many more reps for the same practice time.

Maybe instead of moonclips, we could each have six 625's and just holster and draw a new gun as needed. Just a thought.

Mike

Ah! The New York Reload! Old pin shooters will remember that one! Get your laundry basket ready to catch the empty gun when you "reload".

signsrup and I were discussing the reload with the speedloaders. I shared a video of a reload with a 686 with him and Robert King was nice enough to instruct me on how to put it into the reply> Let's see how this works. Pay no attention to the hamming it up done by the fat old fart though. later rdd

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=104288768

Well that did not seem to work. :angry2: ..carryon

686 reload

Edited by Bubber

Bubber, do you tilt the gun more when unloading empty cases? They don't just fall out like dummy rounds and if I don't get enough elevation on the muzzle, they tend to drag in the chamber.

Jerry

Bubber, do you tilt the gun more when unloading empty cases? They don't just fall out like dummy rounds and if I don't get enough elevation on the muzzle, they tend to drag in the chamber.

Jerry

Jerry my thumb does not flex as with a weak hand reload wher the weak hand grasps the cylinder and you can only use your thumb's dexterity to remove the spent cases. In my case the thumb makes contact with the ejector rod and the motion of my hand and arm ejects the cases. You have to hit hard and fast. When you try to be gentle is when most problems occur. (my take only) In the old days there were afew guys that if a RO was crowding you to much they would hit it hard enough to have the cases hit the RO. If you are hit by brass from a revo you are too close. Not to mention any names John Rodriguez or Vic Pickett but I have seen it done.

Jerry,

Bubber uses the Force to defy gravity and friction :ph34r:

Mere mortals are relegated to more terrestrial means.

Craig

/Yoda Voice on/ "Defy gravity, I do" / Yoda voice off/

:roflol:

In his video, Bubber is going slow in order to demonstrate the technique. At full match speed, his speed reloads are much too fast to be detectable by the human eye. :)

Seriously, he has the fastest speedloader reload in the game.

In his video, Bubber is going slow in order to demonstrate the technique. At full match speed, his speed reloads are much too fast to be detectable by the human eye. :)

Seriously, he has the fastest speedloader reload in the game.

Thanx Mike even though I know better. :blush: Besides, that opinion may change when I meet Cliff and BlueRidge at the Memphis Challenge this year. And I hear rumbles of some fellers in North Carolina that are pretty fast also. I will be practicing for it after the IRC. That will give me 4 months to do better. :sight:

Attached is a file that shows the technique I use. These are reloads off a table with a few bobbles, but provide a decent view.

I switch hands when opening the cylinder and smack the ejector with the palm of my dominant hand. I find the empties clear reliably and positively and, under the pressure I have a lot more fine motor control with my dominant hand as opposed to my support hand.

Bubber's reload works well for me with moonclips where an errant single case or round (usually the one at 5 o'clock/nearest the frame when both unloading and loading) is not an issue. One cannot argue with Yoda's storied and legendary record however. :bow:

If it is a badge of honor, Master Yoda, I have had empties ricochet off the ground and hit the Storm TroOper's timer (and register a time). I had to argue with him about the 19th shot, regardless of what his calibrated timer read.

Skywalker

BPT 28 Apr 09 1.zip

Edited by Bones

Great vids, guys! Thanks. Lots of learning to be done here. NashvilleBill recently posted the tale of the Jabberwocky. Describes my technique rather well: :roflol:

"He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought—

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought."

(emphasis mine)

I wasn't sure exactly how I do my reloads. :unsure: So I went out and made a live fire video. ;) Now I have to figure out how to post it. <_<

I reload sort of like Bubber. I don't tilt the muzzle up much farther than he does. I push the ejector rod with the palm of my hand and the empties land behind me. I use cut down Comp IIIs.

Eric, biggest thing thing to get out of that is all the fast reloaders "look" the moonclip or speedloader into the cylinder. Watch their eyes, they look at the sights/target, and then snap their eyes to the cylinder and they "throw" the ammo in where their eyes are. It is akin to looking at the target and your sights just snapping up to where you are looking when you get your index down. This of course comes from untold hours of dryfiring and doing drills to train your subconscious to do this for you. This is good stuff, guys! Keep it coming....

DougC