Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recomend production holster and belt for a new guy

reiko1078

im wanting to start shooting my g17 in production. could someone recomend a holster and belt combo? ive read good things about cr speed and da. im going to atempt to make mag pouches before buying any. last question how many mags do people usually carry in the production class? thanks

im wanting to start shooting my g17 in production. could someone recomend a holster and belt combo? ive read good things about cr speed and da. im going to atempt to make mag pouches before buying any. last question how many mags do people usually carry in the production class? thanks

A lot of this is going to come down to personal preference, and what you like. Since you've already been researching CR and Double Alpha products, it sounds like you're wanting to go down the path of the inner and outer belt. As you've probably read, the main advantage is so you can leave the holster and mag pouches attached to the outer belt, and velcro it on each time instead of threading them thru the belt and around belt loops. Go for it! I have the CR belt and like it. Plus I can use the inner belt for IDPA.

Holster: same deal on the personal preference. I've had good luck with Comp-Tac and Blade-tech, but there are others out there that are probably just as good. If you shoot IDPA (or think you might), you look for one that is legal for IDPA as well as USPSA. Both the Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech OWB holsters are legal for both, but the Blade-tech DOH is only legal for USPSA Production Div.

When I shoot production, I run with 4 mags on the belt and a starter mag loaded to 11 in the front pocket. I started out with two double pouches, but lately have been buying singles since I think they conform to my waist better, and I think two singles work out better than one double in IDPA so you can arrange them on either side of a belt loop.

Good luck!

My recommendation?

Order a CR Speed belt at least 4" longer than your waist measurement. ($55 Shooters connection)

Order a Blade Tech DOH. ($67.95 Shooters Connection)

Order 5 ready tactical mag pouches. ($22.95 CPWSA)

Remember, log into shooters connection as an Enos forum member for even better deals. ;)

The Blade Tech DOH is just a Stingray with an attachment that is easily removed.

The ready tactical pouches are fantastic for the price. They take up very little space on the belt and are pretty fast.

My recommendation?

Order a CR Speed belt at least 4" longer than your waist measurement. ($55 Shooters connection)

Remember, log into shooters connection as an Enos forum member for even better deals. ;)

The Blade Tech DOH is just a Stingray with an attachment that is easily removed.

The ready tactical pouches are fantastic for the price. They take up very little space on the belt and are pretty fast.

+1 to all of this.

This setup is good enough to win the Nationals...really, there isn't anything "better" for Production. R,

Just FYI, Production is a Division. Guns by Division, shooters by Class. ;)

I like 5 mags on the belt. Start with one in the gun, five on the belt and even if something weird happens and you have a couple of mags stripped out (I've had two come out on a doorway), you've still got enough to finish even a 32 round stage. R,

My recommendation?

+.5

My recommendation?

Order a CR Speed belt at least 2" longer than your waist measurement. ($55 Shooters connection)

Order 5 CR Speed mag pouches. ($22.95 CPWSA)

Get the Blade Tech DOH with the Tek Lok attachment. The new one is really nice and easy to remove.

I run 5 mags. The one farthest back holds 11 rounds and is the first in the gun.

Edited by jtischauser

My recommendation?

Order 5 CR Speed mag pouches. ($22.95 CPWSA)

CR speed are $33.00 @CPWSA

I prefer to run six pouches with six or seven mags depending on the stage.....

The rest of the advice is spot on....

6 or 7? Do you ever use 60 or 70 rounds or do you just like to have a back up and a back up to your back up.

I wish there were 50-75 round stages!

Edited by jtischauser

Sorry I missed changing that. I'm on my phone. I have never tried the ones you suggested. I like the CR Speed because they are short, open in the front, and hold the mags just tight enough so that they come out fast and barely stay in if you have the tension set just right. I have tried the bladetech Bobbie mcgee and the are too tall and hold the mags to firmly. I do use the bladetechs for 3 gun because retention Is WAY more important than a loose pouch for speedy mag change.

Edited by jtischauser

CR Speed belt, Blade Tech DOH holster, and 4 Blade Tech mag pouches.

You should never need more than four pouches if you initially load with a mag in your pocket.

6 or 7 mags? That sounds like serious over kill to me... On my 36in CR belt 6 or 7 would wrap all the way back around to the gun... :mellow:

I have a Blade Tech DOH holster for a Glock 17 that I've been meaning to sell here on the classifieds. PM me if you're interested.

Please confine offers to sell equipment to the Classifieds or (more appropriately here) a PM. It's not legal to offer stuff for sell within a non-Classifieds thread on the main board. Thanks.