Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks Brian Enos

CatsEye

I wanted to say thanks to the people here for all of the great information yall provide and throw in a little bragging at the same time. I'm 45 and started shooting about 2-1/2 years ago. I hung around as Marksman for a year before moving to Sharpshooter. Sort of did the same for the next year. About 5 months ago I realized that even though I was shooting fairly frequently I wasn't really improving and surely not shooting as well as I thought I could. I joined this forum and started reading everything I could find. I bought Brian's book and read it twice. I totally changed my approach to shooting. I moved away from concentration and towards focus and awareness. WOW, what a difference. Almost a year ago I shot the Classifier in 144.84 secs with my M&P Pro. With the same gun yesterday I classified SSP EX at 104.54. Even though I am happy about it I know I can do better. As good (for me) as that time is, I actually missed a head shot on stage one and completely missed the right side target on stage three twice (don't ask where those two went). To make the day even more special I classified ESP EX with my completely stock XD40 at 105.16 and I've only shot it once in the last six months. Through my time here I have become a real fan of many of the writers here: Brian, Steve, Duane, MemphisMechanic and gbell (who I shoot with) just to name a few. Looking forward to learning more from all of you. Thanks for providing such great information for those of us looking to learn.

Rick

Edited by CatsEye

Thanks Greg, I was surprised with the scores too. SSP MA is a little scary to think about right not though. While reading the forum last night I was reminded once again why I like this place. In a thread on visual patience, a lot of good information is given by CHA-LEE and others, then I run across this gem by Flexmoney: "Forget speed. Forget score. Forget looking cool. Forget shooting well. Make proper vision you one and only desire. When I have done that, I have shot great." It is so simple yet profound. I couldn't stop thinking about it for a week.

I've gone from "Noobe" to B-Class Production (as of last week's classifier) in 12 months by reading the forum (THANK YOU ALL!!!), and shooting a lot!

The next 12 months will be B-Class to M, by reading the books, and buying the training... I truly believe I made the MOST progress as a golfer (down to a 2-handicap) only after working with a pro. I'm sure shooting will be the same. I went from a 25-year experienced 6-8 handicapper, to a solid 1-2, only through professional hands-on guidance, not by reading GOLF magazine. I assume, shooting will be the same.

Luckily, I shoot weekly with a pretty decent trigger-puller named Shannon Smith... This year, I'm paying for some help. Time to turn addicted, into Serious.

JeffWard

Edited by JeffWard

• 4 months later...

Update! After shooting really well (for me) over a few months including the classifier things took a downturn. It seems the shift in my visual awareness created an extreme case of awkwardness. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone or not. It just seemed like I was out of sync. I think my vision had overtaken my physical ability. It created some of the most awkward feelings while shooting that I have ever experienced. Lately it seems like things are coming around again and feeling much more comforatable. In fact, I got my first big win ever in competition shooting. I shot at the IDPA Master's in Alabama this past weekend. I shot well enough to take 1st in SSP EX. To say the least, I was thrilled. Now back to really learning to shoot. ;)

Update! After shooting really well (for me) over a few months including the classifier things took a downturn. It seems the shift in my visual awareness created an extreme case of awkwardness. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone or not. It just seemed like I was out of sync. I think my vision had overtaken my physical ability. It created some of the most awkward feelings while shooting that I have ever experienced. Lately it seems like things are coming around again and feeling much more comforatable. In fact, I got my first big win ever in competition shooting. I shot at the IDPA Master's in Alabama this past weekend. I shot well enough to take 1st in SSP EX. To say the least, I was thrilled. Now back to really learning to shoot. ;)

Congrats on your win at the Master's! I also shot it and came in 2nd ESP SS (behind a guy that was 2 seconds off Division Champion- DOH!). The Master's was a great match...fortunately the rain slacked up eventually and it turned into a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this thread the first time around. (I do love the break-through moments.)

Update! After shooting really well (for me) over a few months including the classifier things took a downturn. It seems the shift in my visual awareness created an extreme case of awkwardness. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone or not. It just seemed like I was out of sync. I think my vision had overtaken my physical ability. It created some of the most awkward feelings while shooting that I have ever experienced.

A couple of things there. You may be seeing something that is out of alignment with your desire. In other words...your technique might need work. If you have a good "true desire" and your are open and aware...you can pick up on things that are "out of sync".

Or, it may just be a matter of tension, trust and comfort. (Read up on the forum and in Brian's book on "trust".)

[edit to add] Heck..that might all be the same stuff. Maybe forget my "or".

Be careful to never get too comfortable. And, always be aware of tracking down where the discomfort originates.

• 8 months later...

Thought I would pull this old thread up just for a quick update. I shot the 2011 Masters today in Alabama. Took first place in SSP EX and got the bump to MA. I finally got over the awkardness I was having and I'm shooting better than ever. The "Trust" Flexmoney mentioned helped a lot. As I said before, now back to really learning to shoot. Thanks again to everyone for all the great information and support thats given through this forum.

Edited by CatsEye

Thought I would pull this old thread up just for a quick update. I shot the 2011 Masters today in Alabama. Took first place in SSP EX and got the bump to MA. I finally got over the awkardness I was having and I'm shooting better than ever. The "Trust" Flexmoney mentioned helped a lot. As I said before, now back to really learning to shoot. Thanks again to everyone for all the great information and support thats given through this forum.

Congrats on the bump. The Masters is a great match. I also got my bump to MA there back in 08-09 I think. That was a challenging match so you deserved it. You beat my buddy by less than 2 seconds I believe for the win. As far as shooting MA class, welcome. It is a hard class. One mess up and your done! I shot ESP MA and got my butt handed to me. I think I might slide down to CDP EX and play for awhile. Don't forget that The Southern Regional is in two weeks! Hope to see you there.

I have shot against Bill a few times and I know he is damn tough to beat. I shot well but had some luck on my side a couple of times too. I will be shooting SSP MA at the Southern Regional. We will see how that goes. :) See yall there.

Congrats on your win and bump, Rick. I was less than 2 seconds off the win in ESP EX (and the accompanying bump to Master) at the Masters. I was a little disappointed, but I know my day will come. Hope to bump into you at the Southern Regional.