Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My gun is set up for 38 Super Comp

Spray_N_Prey

I use them interchangeably and have never had a problem. I think that TJ has slightly less capacity, but the chrono puts them neck and neck with the same loading and they run perfectly in my gun.

...err, I mean NO- send them to me and I will dispose of them for you. :goof:

They're not really the same, but close. The extractor groove for SC is .330 and for TJ it's .314, so it's possible that you can run into a problem switching between them. I'm sure lots of guns run fine with either, but it's something to be aware of. I know Bob L. from Brazos did an article on the differences between brass types and mentioned someone having a problem when switching. He has a lot of those articles on his website if you're interested. R,

G-Man answered it... ;) Usually, but not always, they are interchangeable - but watch the ejection on a few first to be sure that it's consistent. Otherwise, you might not have good extraction with the other case. There's enough difference between the two that some guns might not like it. That said, all three Open guns I've had in recent years would run both (as well as Lapua and the occasional Armscor RL case... yeah, my local match brass has a bunch of crap floating around in it... :lol:)

I separate my TJ from the Starline super comp, and use the TJ for steel challenge loads and the super comp for USPSA shooting.

That is because the TJ is my favorite and I get 95% of it back. and I can load it many times. i will load it more than 10 times and thin separate it for lost brass match.

I can not think of single time that TJ brass has failed me. I have culled out some of it that was shot in some-one Else's gun with a sloppy louse chamber that let the brass bulge out.

Do the old school test with a loaded round and the slide removed. = put the loaded round under the extractor hold it muz up and bump the top of the slide so as to dislodge the round. if the round stays in place you have plenty of extractor tension to hold it and extract it. do the same thing with you comp round and you will get a feel for how hard to bump the slide to make the round come louse.

( If you were to hit the slide on the side of your head = it would hurt)

Starline TJ were not interchangeable for my Bedell Shorty. Dan originally setup the gun for 38 Supercomp. I bought 3k TJ and about 300rnds into it was getting REAL fed up with cases getting stuck in the ejection port backwards (1-2 per mag). Gave Dan (great guy btw) a call and it turns out the extractor wasn't holding enough tension for consistent extraction. It all depends how your extractor is setup. Swapped the rest of mine with a friend who used TJ for Supercomp and my gun is now 100% for me about 500 rnds later.

Edited by JoshF

I have some TJ mixed in with the 1K SuperComp that I shoot club matches with. They run through my Bedell 5' gun and my Bedell shorty all the time with no hiccups. :cheers: Obviously different guns, even by the same builder, react differently. When I do order new Starline brass I will get 38SC.

CYa,

Pat