Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just bought a CZ712U. LGS here in NC had it for $409. After reading this forum and talking to others, I think this will be a great gun.Ordered the Nordic Components +3 Ext, and the Hi-Viz sights. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

I would be in for zfields Bolt handle ext. also. :)

Edited by cranbiz

Just bought a CZ712U. LGS here in NC had it for $409. After reading this forum and talking to others, I think this will be a great gun.Ordered the Nordic Components +3 Ext, and the Hi-Viz sights. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

I would be in for zfields Bolt handle ext. also. :)

Nice price! I'm pretty sure you'll like it a lot. Did you order their tube clamp too?

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, ATI finally shipped my pistol grip after a month and a half. Should be here this week, will post pictures.

yme2y2u3.jpg

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering, ATI finally shipped my pistol grip after a month and a half. Should be here this week, will post pictures.

I'm interested in your thoughts once you get it.

I liked it as I felt like I was running a carbine more than a shotgun. I could really get squared up behind the shotgun. Ultimately I ended up with the standard akita stock though, as the pistol grip would get in the way of 'load two' for me.

I really like the adjustability of the akita stock, as well as the recoil pad. 250-300 rounds in a match and no bruising or soreness.

In other news I ordered some o-rings in an attempt to fined a source other than cz-usa. Got a few different sizes and materials. Testing to ensue...

Edited by 805ebr

I got it all assembled yesterday no problems, it required a few tools but nothing crazy.

The grip feels great, back is cushy and the front is sort of like a grip tape texture. You can tell they put some thought into this grip.

I have not shot it yet, I'll have to go next week sometime.

Here she is now. (Hold on the picture won't upload) (Ok got it)

EnrBDsr.jpg

Edited by goodmanac

Haha no, sorry I didn't clarify. I wanted to do something a little bit different with this CZ.

I don't think it will be hard on the wrist as long as I use my low recoil loads.

I'll probably end up with an Akita stock eventually.

I seem to have a thing for short firearms at the moment.

I put on the Nordic Components +3 with the clamp the other day and then the HiViz Tombuster 2 sights this morning.

The clamp does put some pressure on the barrel. The gap between the barrel and the ext. tube was .310 at the end of the barrel and was .316 at the tube nut. After installing the clamp, the gap between the barrel and tube was .210 and the barrel and nut was .219.

I believe that the clamp can be ground out slightly to fix this.

Pics of where I'm at now.

4FLhEYs.jpg

GlHxMC7.jpg

583eVqV.jpg

I recently got and installed the ALS (Adjustable Length Stock) that CZ offers on one of their other models. My son is of small stature and shoots this gun and was hoping to have a shorter length of pull. The ALS is made by ATI as I recall and seems to be well made. Even at the longest LOP setting, it is still shorter than the factory stock as provided on the 712 Utility. He likes it much better with the shorter LOP option and I am fine with it set at the longest LOP.

I recently got and installed the ALS (Adjustable Length Stock) that CZ offers on one of their other models. My son is of small stature and shoots this gun and was hoping to have a shorter length of pull. The ALS is made by ATI as I recall and seems to be well made. Even at the longest LOP setting, it is still shorter than the factory stock as provided on the 712 Utility. He likes it much better with the shorter LOP option and I am fine with it set at the longest LOP.

Could we get a picture of it at it's longest and shortest settings on the 712U?

Just a side note... I have the ati als on mine and after a few matches the check weld started to peel a bit, it has a thin rubber set on it. I called ati and had a new one within a week plus some extra stuff No charge! Excellent customer service and they seem to stand by their product.

Just a side note... I have the ati als on mine and after a few matches the check weld started to peel a bit, it has a thin rubber set on it. I called ati and had a new one within a week plus some extra stuff No charge! Excellent customer service and they seem to stand by their product.

That's awesome! They were always really nice on the phone when I needed to talk to them.

Also I took that advice and beveled the mag tube so it has cycled everything through it without hiccups so far.

Alright so I finally took out the PGO CZ 712. I only shot low recoil loads (1200fps), 00 Buckshot and Slugs.

Easily controllable, point-able, and not hard on the wrist. I found that holding it up an out and point-shooting was the easiest, so no hip firing.

Afterword, the grip seemed slightly loose so I took it all apart and found I needed to file a bit of metal where the mount meets the receiver. Now it sits flush and is screwed on there nice and tight this time.

After beveling the mag tube I thought it would be fine, but the follower did get snagged once. So I went to beveling some more and polishing some more, which seemed to work for a bit. Then sure enough I got another snag while cycling shells through.

So I took out the Nordic follower and put back in the stock one. Solved my snagging issue. I'm sure this is because the O.D. of the Nordic follower seems to be larger then the stock follower, plus they are designed very differently.

So thus far, the CZ piston and the Nordic follower have not worked for me. The stock parts function better. At least in my case (2013 model).

Picture of the range trip!

da4IXAp.jpg

How is that machinist doing Z? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Machinist went AWOL.

Honestly I'm at a loss on what to do about this. I've spent a lot of time calling, emailing and looking for machinist that can make this and at a price point were I can actually sell them. Most either want $90 + per unit to make them, or straight out flake out on communication.

If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

Machinist went AWOL.

Honestly I'm at a loss on what to do about this. I've spent a lot of time calling, emailing and looking for machinist that can make this and at a price point were I can actually sell them. Most either want $90 + per unit to make them, or straight out flake out on communication.

Sorry to hear that :/

Have you tried calling CNC Machine Shop in Houston? http://www.rmcreliablemachinists.com/index.php

They seem like they could do it.

Machinist went AWOL.

Have you tried calling CNC Machine Shop in Houston? http://www.rmcreliablemachinists.com/index.php

I haven't called that specific shop yet.

Issue is doing a run of 20-30 keeps the unit cost really high, and to be honest I just don't have the money to front up for that many.

I'll shop around a bit this weekend and send out some emails.

Machinist went AWOL.

Issue is doing a run of 20-30 keeps the unit cost really high, and to be honest I just don't have the money to front up for that many.

I'm sure if they give you a concrete deal (with some email evidence) most of us here would not have a problem with fronting you the money as long as the product got to us.

Machinist went AWOL.

I'm sure if they give you a concrete deal (with some email evidence) most of us here would not have a problem with fronting you the money as long as the product got to us.

I was always planning on doing a little bit of a presale, mainly because the machinist I was working with promised a 1 week turn around on 20 units once the revisions were set and the testing was done. Thing is...I want to be 100% sure that whoever I go with can get me that kind of turn around since I stake my name on anything I sell.

I know I have zero reputation here, which makes it a bit hesitant ( I know I would be ). Just sent an email to the guy I was working with, telling him to get back to me ASAP or I will be finding someone else to do this.

Machinist went AWOL.

I was always planning on doing a little bit of a presale, mainly because the machinist I was working with promised a 1 week turn around on 20 units once the revisions were set and the testing was done. Thing is...I want to be 100% sure that whoever I go with can get me that kind of turn around since I stake my name on anything I sell.

I know I have zero reputation here, which makes it a bit hesitant ( I know I would be ). Just sent an email to the guy I was working with, telling him to get back to me ASAP or I will be finding someone else to do this.

Alright well I hope he gets back to you soon, otherwise hopefully someone else can complete the job.

Still looking forward to getting one of them someday! I freaking hate the stock one haha.