Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TR-24, Dot or Triangle

3gunner

The Big Brown Dog AKA Trapr is useing the dot with the German #4 retical. this weekend he was tearing up the star and the plate rack at 270 yards the flasher at 320 was not much problem to him. The wind did laydown to just 15 mph a few times.

Red triangle. TR24R

Same here. I did not vote as the options are not complete. I much prefer a triangle to a dot. And red to any other color for 3-gun. Green is a good twilight (hunting) color, but for me it was a little slower to pick up on bright days with lots of green foliage in the scopes view. Amber is not contrasty enough against brown cardboard targets. The triangles point is very sharp and pointy, which makes a very precise long range aiming point. up close you ignore the point and just center the triangle like a big dot on your target. The added benefit to this is you do not have to intentionally hold high on head shots to compensate for scope to bore offset at close range small targets.

One thing that would concern me with the triangle is low light conditions. With the crosshairs if you loose the dot you can still see them. Not sure what you would see

with the triangle. It's not very often that you can't see the dot but at a covered range on a cloudy day you can't.

Red Triangle

In even very low light the red triangle glows, in pitch black it glows with tritium.

I am with Mark in that I prefer the TR21R or 24R, to tell the truth I keep going back to my old 21r over my new 24r.

If Trijicon stopped saying it "cant be done" and put a nice hold over reticle in the accupoint series they would sell a ton of them.

Now if you are in Texas, Arizona, or some other dust bowl, the green might be an option.

One thing that would concern me with the triangle is low light conditions. With the crosshairs if you loose the dot you can still see them. Not sure what you would see

with the triangle. It's not very often that you can't see the dot but at a covered range on a cloudy day you can't.

Actually, I have used the Accupoint on some very cloudy days as well as at twilight, and the triangle always glows brightly. Only in near complete darkness does the tritium really do much. You can turn the fiberoptic cover to completely negate the fiber affect, at which point you are left with a black triangular aiming point. It is perfectly usable like that if so desired.

• 4 months later...

I put one piece of 1" wide tactical (100mph) tape around the objective end and use a Butler creek 30mm (2) clear flip up-from E Arthur Brown. I think the eyepiece is a 2 fits snug without tape. Get the Blizzard ones.

Is it just me or does the dot seem a little too small? I do not have one and was looking at a red triangle/dot.

A red dot is what I shoot w/ a T1 and a red FO front sight. Red just makes sense to me, but which.. triangle or dot?

T

I had the triangle and it was great, but there are some advantags to the dot. I feel the triangle is faster target acquisition, but the dot was more precise. The tritium and fiber optics was impressive, if I wanted another 1-4 I would buy it again.

Is it just me or does the dot seem a little too small? I do not have one and was looking at a red triangle/dot.

A red dot is what I shoot w/ a T1 and a red FO front sight. Red just makes sense to me, but which.. triangle or dot?

T

Too small? You sound like my wife. It's 1 moa which is just big enough to not cover the MGM at 350ish.

T

Too small? You sound like my wife. It's 1 moa which is just big enough to not cover the MGM at 350ish.

LOL. You are right. At long distance the 1moa is a must, but I guess at hoser short range it could be a little bigger. Its a compromise. Can it be adjusted brighter or dimmer? I am thinking of brighter close to make dot look bigger

T

Edited by Tattoo

T

The dot on the TR-24 is 3.6 MOA @ 1x and .9 MOA @ 4x. Aimpoint's T1 is a 4 MOA dot, Comp4 is 2 MOA. It is not as small as it looks in the pictures.

http://www.trijicon.com/pdfs/AccuPoint_Specs.pdf

Edited by paul075

T

The dot on the TR-24 is 3.6 MOA @ 1x and .9 MOA @ 4x. Aimpoint's T1 is a 4 MOA dot, Comp4 is 2 MOA. It is not as small as it looks in the pictures.

Cool! I did not get the change in 1x to 4x. I thought it stayed the same 1moa no matter the power.

T

Cool! I did not get the change in 1x to 4x. I thought it stayed the same 1moa no matter the power.

You are sorta correct. The dot size stays the same to your eye, its the target that changes sizes as you zoom in or out, thus making the dot look either smaller or larger compared to the target.

T

You are sorta correct. The dot size stays the same to your eye, its the target that changes sizes as you zoom in or out, thus making the dot look either smaller or larger compared to the target.

You are correct. Some more pics.

img0228aq.jpg

img0227v.jpg

BTW, the scope is off the rifle.

Edited by paul075

just got my TR24G in.

I imagine using the triangle to holdover targets @ 400 will take some practice...but accomplishable.

a couple persons in the below thread talk about using the bottom of the tr24 triangle for a 300 yard target if you are zeroed for 100 yards. and using the bottom of the triangle for a 350 yard target if you are zeroed at ~ 200 yards.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105034#entry1196169

at 4x the top of the triangle to the bottom is 4.1 MOA @ 400 yards.

Assuming the rear rim on this mustang is 18 inches, it should be ~375 yards away.

when i zero the AR @ 200 yards, i suppose I would place the bottom of the triangle half way (heightwise) on the rim if i were trying to shoot at it.

tr24_2160.jpg