Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about building a 1911

glockadict

I was thinking of taking a shot at building a 1911. I think it will be a nice project to take on, and it will help me learn a lot more about 1911's. I don't have any machining tools, so I was going to send off the barrel to get fitted, and do the rest by hand. I have the AGI video series, building the ultimate 1911 already. I was wondering if it would be better to buy all new Caspian parts, or buy a basic Springfield or STI Spartan and change all the parts and tighten the slide to frame fit?I was planning on putting mostly STI parts on the pistol. I already have an STI Trojan, RangeMaster, and Dawson Tuned Edge. Thank you in advance.

I guess it would all come down to what you like. After I shot 3 of the AMU's custom Caspian 1911 45's I would recommend Caspian. They were built like tanks and some of the smoothest 45's I've ever shot. I would also suggest Wilson Combat too. I have a custom CQB Elite and I know it's a pistol I'll never get rid of.

I believe buying a new complete gun is a waste of money. You wind up throwing away alot of parts so why but them twice. You could get an old junker and build that.

Since you like STI parts why not get a short block? If you want a double stack, they come in 40 and 45 with the slide to frame fit and a fitted barrel. If you want a single stack, they also offer a fitted slide to frame kit without the barrel.

I'm not much on fitting a slide to a frame. I did it once and just couldn't muster the patience. It turned out okay but it could have been better. I like to have my guns railed.

Barrel fitting is not as complicated as you might think. As long as it's a bushing barrel and you can file straight you won't need a machine.

Hello: I would buy a STI Spartan and replace parts. If you do the math it is cheaper to buy one of them to start with. The fitting is perfect but you could change out parts that you like better. The 2 Spartan's(9mm,45) I have are built right and better than some custom guns I've seen :surprise: The slide to frame fit is perfect as well as the barrel. For $628 from Shooters Connection it is a winner :cheers: Thanks, Eric

With regards to the AGI video...I have never had one video simultaneously fascinate and put me to sleep. At one point he was tweaking the frame rails, I fell asleep and when I woke up he was working on the trigger. Took me forever to reverse back to the last point I remembered seeing. The whole movie took me a week to watch, but I had some of the best sleep ever!

Don't take it wrong, the video is a wealth of knowledge and I learned so much considering, I didn't even know how field strip a 1911 before I watched it.

After watching it I really want to build a 1911 from an STI kit or Fusion kit. But, instead of waiting to accumulate all the parts and tools, I just bought what I wanted.

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that Wilson was selling Frames kits. I gave them a call today, and was told that they are hand fit. They take about 1 to 2 weeks to get one to you. I am thinking of going that route. I agree that the AGI videos are rather boring, but helpful. I have bought 3 STI's to date, and last year I bought a LWRC M6A2, LWRC PSD 556, LWRC REPR, 2 DSA Fals, and an AAC 762 SD silencer. I am trying to find something to fill my time, so I stop buying so many guns, and I am avoiding going back to school for my Master's.

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that Wilson was selling Frames kits. I gave them a call today, and was told that they are hand fit. They take about 1 to 2 weeks to get one to you. I am thinking of going that route. I agree that the AGI videos are rather boring, but helpful. I have bought 3 STI's to date, and last year I bought a LWRC M6A2, LWRC PSD 556, LWRC REPR, 2 DSA Fals, and an AAC 762 SD silencer. I am trying to find something to fill my time, so I stop buying so many guns, and I am avoiding going back to school for my Master's.

How do you like the REPR? I've been lusting for that for some time, but can't turn that much cash loose on it, yet.

How do you like the REPR? I've been lusting for that for some time, but can't turn that much cash loose on it, yet.

I like it a lot. The fit, finish, and accuracy are great. I just have to send it in for the upgrade so I can run more than C-Products magazines. I got mine about $500 cheaper because I ordered it when it was the SABR, and had a lot less features. LWRC honored the original price.

I have one more question as far as the parts go. Wilson has an option for Stainless or Carbon steel. They also have a combination of both of Carbon Slide and Stainless frame. What is the best way to go?

Edited by glockadict

I like it a lot. The fit, finish, and accuracy are great. I just have to send it in for the upgrade so I can run more than C-Products magazines. I got mine about $500 cheaper because I ordered it when it was the SABR, and had a lot less features. LWRC honored the original price.

I have one more question as far as the parts go. Wilson has an option for Stainless or Carbon steel. They also have a combination of both of Carbon Slide and Stainless frame. What is the best way to go?

The REPR's that I've held have had insane fit and finish, the two halves appear seamless.

If you don't plan on doing much metal work, I think stainless would be a safe bet. If you plan on doing some blending, the carbon steel may be easier to work. But, having never does this on a pistol, my opinion is about as good as my aim at this time...meaning I sometimes miss the target when trying really hard not to.

I just built my first complete 1911. I used a Caspian slide and frame and had them fit those two parts. They did a great job. Just take your time and don't rush it. Definitely use quality parts from the beginning.

I have heard a few gunsmiths say that stainless can gaul (sp?) and that they only recommend using carbon steel. That is what I did when I ordered my frame and slide. However, I don't have any first hand experience to back this up. It's just what I heard.

Chris

You never know how your caspian will come out from the factory. I ordered a frame during the last sale and had a 9mm slide laying around. I went last night to get an idea of how much time I was going to spend fitting the slide to the frame and they are already an almost perfect fit. All I have to do is lap it in now.