Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Web Host for Club

schroed

Currently are club is having issues with are web host and doing some searching on the internet there is an endless number of web host. Looking at reviews of these web hosts the information seems somewhat conflicted, does anyone any recommendations for a web host? Another issue is we are currently using FrontPage to manage the web site since this software is no longer supported thinking it may be a good to upgrade the software. Would like to know what other clubs are using for web site software.

Does Rob Boudrie still do this with the USPSA space, that is, slice it up and hand it out for uspsa shooting related sites? I've got Georgiaipsc.com and uspsa6.org living there.

As to development environments, I've got Adobe Dreamweaver which of course is the industry best. If you want free, Microsoft Visual Studio Express includes Visual Web Developer, which generates good css-style driven html.

I'm certainly no expert in web hosting, but I do have 4 different web sites that even I (a novice in web sites) can manage quite easily. I use Yahoo Web hosting and their (free) SiteBuilder software. It wants you to do everything in SiteBuilder, and has little tolerance for using other web hosting software combined with SiteBuilder, but it seems quite adequate for me. Check www.rgpsc.com or www.stagescore.com for examples.

Finally got things worked out with current provider, looks like next years(winter) project will be upgrading software and provider.

Found some providers that only 1.5 drive may have to stop by when in the area.

Currently are club is having issues with are web host and doing some searching on the internet there is an endless number of web host. Looking at reviews of these web hosts the information seems somewhat conflicted, does anyone any recommendations for a web host? Another issue is we are currently using FrontPage to manage the web site since this software is no longer supported thinking it may be a good to upgrade the software. Would like to know what other clubs are using for web site software.

Most of the "Top Ten Web Hosts" kinds of lists are hosting services touting one another's hosting services through pass through agreements. Often a host will have a half dozen or more names all owned and operated by the same person. They do the same thing to create "reviews" that are grossly inflated.

I have been using www.webmasters.com for several years and find them to be very competent, inexpensive and robust (minuscule down time). They do hosting, provide several levels of free design and management tools and offer tons of free stuff that makes your life easy (forms,email, etc). They can help with moving your domain registration and your present site.

Give them a look before you jump.

David C

I've been using JustHost and it supports front page, that is what I use. http://www.sashooter.com

Its probably not one of the faster hosts but lots of space and thru put etc and for $60 a year I think it is a bargain.. And it includes your DNS Name entry. I was paying $35 a year just for DNS registration but it was after all the best registrar.

If you want the frills like daily backup etc then those are extra, I do my own backups.

Most of the "Top Ten Web Hosts" kinds of lists are hosting services touting one another's hosting services through pass through agreements. Often a host will have a half dozen or more names all owned and operated by the same person. They do the same thing to create "reviews" that are grossly inflated.

That what I discovered seems like a scam....

Edited by schroed

Our club has been with 1and1 for over two years, I have had a personal space with them for about 4 now. Never had any trouble out of them but I do not use any of the built in website dev tools. I use Joomla for a content management system. I would look long and hard at using a CMS for your clubs site. I used to use dreamweaver when I was first elected to be webmaster. What I would run into is that our MD would call me when I was at work\out at play that the X match is cancelled, put it on the website. I had to drive home, where dreamweaver was, to update the page. With a CMS, its all web based, all you need is a internet connection. Check out our page at Http://ctidpa.com

I use dreamhost for my websites. Great service, price, interface, etc. If you have a small site email me and i might be able to host it for you. http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?473183 (shameless affiliate link).

I agree with the comments about a cms above. Joomla is good and you can get some nice (and free) themes for a professional look. I am using godaddy and namecheap for my domain names. Both are around $10 a year ... Namecheap is a little less expensive when you want to hide your personal information.

I use http://powweb.com for my personal hosting (http://dauphinislandsurf.com). and our club uses http://1and1.com. I do the programming for both using html, css, and php. I can't offer much in the way of useful editors besides notepad++ because I code from scratch.

I did try out coffeecup once and liked it as an editor but never tried the drag and drop features. I liked the face that you could instantly switch between the html editor, drag and drop editor, and viewer just by clicking a tab. The software also had alot of adding for pages like dropdown nav menus, rotating ad banners, etc.