Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker

Rufus The Bum

This is just my opinion, but, aren't the rear slide serrations there for a reason? ;)

I just never saw the need for a slide racker on my open gun. Plus without one you have less reciprocating mass.

Just my $.02

Ray C.

I resisted a racker for a long time, but one too many table-starts and gun-unloaded starts convinced me to get one on the new gun. It's faster.

I remember Todd being annoyed once after losing his favorite slide racker on the range, so they must have some value.

Does anybodies thumb but mine get in the way if it's on the left (weak ) side

I have big thumbs and have gotten bit by my racker several times (left side racker) Also, It doesn't seem any faster having it on one side or the other. However, when I put in on the right side, it actually feels like a more natural movement. I am new to slide rackers as well, so I'm just playing with it right now until I find which works best.

I have mine on the weak hand side also. If you have to tilt the gun to get at it on the strong side, might as well not have it.

Start conditions with empty gun and hammer down made me a beliver.

James

This is just my opinion, but, aren't the rear slide serrations there for a reason? ;)

I just never saw the need for a slide racker on my open gun. Plus without one you have less reciprocating mass.

Just my $.02

Ray C.

This is from a guy who does not have thumb shields on his gun. ;)

I attended a class with Eric Grauffel in Sept 03. He advocates the racker on the strong side as he teaches to reach across the top of the slide and use the weak hand thumb to rack the slide. When HE demonstrates this, his weak hand returns to proper support position faster than if the racker is on the weak hand side.

I confess I haven't been able to get this method to work for me.

If your racker bites you, check out one that comes out, then up to the height of the base of the dot, then out again. I've got an EGW one that does this very nicely.

Cheers,

Ross

I use a slide racker also on the weak side. I tried it on the strong side but, I just didn't like the way it felt. The primary reason for my using a racker is simply because I have a thumb sheild on my gun. Otherwise I stop the slide.

I never had a problem with flat table starts. The magwell is so large it prevents the gun from laying completley flat and hitting the magazine release. I am using the racker from Brazos Custom.

Last thought: If I wasn't using a thumb sheild I wouldn't use a racker.

This is from a guy who does not have thumb shields on his gun. ;)

Very true, but isn't that what the wide Brown thumb safety is for? I don't have "fat" thumbs so I don't use thumb shields. :D

So far I haven't been bit yet. When that day comes, I'll probably be converted over to the shield/racker camp!

Ray C.

I handled an open gun recently with a nifty little slide racker on it. It was just a round aluminum nub with circumferential grooves, extending only about 150% the width of a Brown wide thumb safety. It was easy to use, well clear of one's thumb, and couldn't possibly catch on a barricade or etc. Anyway it was on an SV Open Masterpiece, so it might have been an SV part...