Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading accident and injury

MrPCHead

Glad you're ok.

Handgun powders in rifle cartridges usually don't mix well.

I was working on some low powered/sub sonic loads for my 30'06. Not having any Trail Boss on hand I tried the bulkyest powder I had, Clays. Taking some reloading info from others before me I had a start load. That all worked fine with several bullet weights. Still a little too fast I lowered the powder a little. At first I thought that was the end problem, nope. I alway load on a Dillon peogressive. But for this I drug out my ol' Lyman #55 powder measure. Well if you aren't real carefull you could grab the same case twice and put powder in it. I beleive thats what happened, cause the second rd went BOOOOOMMM! and the smoke rolled everywhere. I took the last 3 rds apart and one didn't have any powder. Pulled the barrel to see the problem. The case head expanded so much it cracked the rim of the bolt keeping it from being pulled back through the receiver. I'm ok but the bolt is toast. 22 grains of Clays will not work in a 30'06. The 11 grain load was nice though.

You can't be too carefull but varget being extruded is quite different than titegroup. Sure glad you are still with us.

here is a link to photos of other powders too. However, if you have to rely on memory or photos it's fertilizer IMO.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=313544&highlight=photos+powders

Varget-1.jpg

Titegroup-1.jpg

Edited by jmorris

Thanks for posting this. I am sure this will reemphasize our respect of our reloading components and the need to be very, very careful. Glad to know you are doing well and shooting back again.