Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650

I just set up my brand new Dillon 650. However, I am having a problem with my Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have searched this forum, and I have come across a couple of people who have successfully used the Lee FCD with their 650's.

Specifically, the problem I'm having is this. My Lee FCD isn't long enough. It simply will not reach the shell plate (i.e., it's about a quarter of an inch away from the shell plate when it is fully screwed into the toolhead). And, I can barely get the crimp adjusted far enough down to do anything (I'm loading 45 acp). Has there been a design change with the Dillon or the Lee FCD recently.

I really appreciate any input you might have. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris,

I have the Lee FCD on both 40 & 38 Super Dillon 650 toolheads with no issues. Both of mine are positioned in relation to the shellplate as yours are & have plenty of adjustment.

I know I haven't helped you with your problem, but I'd get hold of Lee to see what ideas they may have.

Also, a regular on the forum (Flexmoney) could likely know the answer as he also uses Lee's. If he doesn't post a response soon, email him at flexmoney@aol.com & direct your issue to him.

Chris:

Try using one of the Dillon lock rings. They are the "low profile" type that come on Dillon dies. I think the Lee rings are thicker (they also have an O ring slotted in the bottom - adding more to the thickness.) If you don't have one of these Dillon rings, the lock nut on the bottom stuff is a good alternative.

I have the Lee FCD in 45ACP. It is a close fit, but no problems with a 650.

Geek

Hi all,

Quick question regarding the Lee FCD. How important is it for me to have one if these when I get my new 650 in .45?

I had a Lee FCD on my Lee press years ago and it worked well but, now that I am getting a new press... is this a "need" or a "want" type of item for the 650?

TIA

I think the FCD is a "need" item for any press (including single stage).

The tag line on the box is something like "For handgun ammunition that must work" and I think they got it right. The FCD covers a multitude of sins that if you are very careful you won't have, but for the $9.00 it just can't be beaten.

When I say very careful, I mean that you load brass from 1 lot from a single manufacturer, you trim each case and check it after every firing. Case length and brass thckness affect how regular taper and roll crimp dies function. The FCD is much less picky. I'd much rather spend my time on something else than trimming 45ACP cases.

One MUST is a separate bullet seater and crimp die (the Dillon dies are set up this way). Trying to adjust a combo seater/crimp die is one of the trickiest things I've ever done. :wacko:

Geek

The tag line on the box is something like "For handgun ammunition that must work" and I think they got it right. The FCD covers a multitude of sins that if you are very careful you won't have, but for the $9.00 it just can't be beaten.

Sorry, but the operative word is "covers'! That's like cheating on your significant other then going to confession for redemption. Do it enough times an you eventually wind up at the divorce lawyers instead of church.

It's much better to do it right the first time and not have to cover your mistakes.