Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9mm extraction issues

Jimmy76

I've recently started having some extraction issues on my Pro. This hasn't happened during a match (thankfully) only during practice sessions. I have approx 2000 rounds through the gun. About 2-3 times in 100 rounds the casing won't extract and another round is being feed in behind it. I have to lock the slide back, drop the mag, and rack.

I've contacted S&W and they are sending me a shipping label to get it back to them. They told me this isn't a problem that they have seen. So my question to the experts here, has anyone else seen this and any fixes (extractor, guide rod/spring change, etc.) or should I send it back. My only hesitance to sending it back is I'll be out of the matches for a few weeks (just got into this so I'm kinda ate up with it!)

Thanks,

Jim

PS-I received Brian's book and Matt's volume 1-3 Saturday and they're great for some one just getting started in competition!

I had the same problem, about 1 round every 80 or so. I put a new stock extractor and extractor spring in and still had roughly the same results. I tried a SSS extractor but I can't say whether that worked or not since I didn't spend the time needed to fit to the gun. What seemed to finally solve my problem was new mag springs. I am told I am crazy but I believe that with the new springs it keeps the extracted case from falling off the extractor before it is ejected. The ones I took out were pretty collapsed.

One guy I was talking with mentioned slide speed could be a contributing factor. The faster the slide the more likely the case will fall off teh extractor, interesting thought.

This is a VERY common problem. Lots of threads here an on mp-pistol.com about it. He's feeding you the PR line.

My 9L had serious problems with this. The SSS extractor and some time custom fitting it solved the problem. Keep the extractor cutout as clean as possible, and clean behind the claw every time.

I posted the fitting question in here recently. Find it with the search.

After reading posts on here and M&P pistol, I see this is not an isolated event. I guess I'm a little late to the party! I read your posts and watched your disassembly video, very informative, thanks. Sounds like my issues and yours are very close. I think I'll go ahead and send it to S&W and hopefully they'll fit the extractor and make it right. Now I just have to wait, not too long I hope!

Thanks

Jim

I've recently started having some extraction issues on my Pro. This hasn't happened during a match (thankfully) only during practice sessions. I have approx 2000 rounds through the gun. About 2-3 times in 100 rounds the casing won't extract and another round is being feed in behind it. I have to lock the slide back, drop the mag, and rack.

I've contacted S&W and they are sending me a shipping label to get it back to them. They told me this isn't a problem that they have seen. So my question to the experts here, has anyone else seen this and any fixes (extractor, guide rod/spring change, etc.) or should I send it back. My only hesitance to sending it back is I'll be out of the matches for a few weeks (just got into this so I'm kinda ate up with it!)

Thanks,

Jim

PS-I received Brian's book and Matt's volume 1-3 Saturday and they're great for some one just getting started in competition!

Oh yeah, it's common alright. Send it back and let them fix it. Total BS line that they have not heard of the problem. The PRO is literally plagued with the problem. Hopefully the extraction problems are the only issues you will have with the gun. Read up on it and good luck! :cheers:

I just recently bought a M&P Pro also. I only have about 400 rounds of PMC Bronze through it and haven't had a single problem yet. I love the way it shoots, the natural point to aim, good balance, fits my hand like a glove.. but I did notice an unusual rubbing on the top-outside leading edge of the extractor when I cleaned it a couple of days ago. I'm glad that I found this thread so that I can keep a heads up for a potential problem.

I've contacted S&W and they are sending me a shipping label to get it back to them. They told me this isn't a problem that they have seen.

:roflol: Yeah, it's not something they haven't seen that day maybe!

I love my Pro, but it has had a handful of extraction issues with new, quality ammunition. Some guns seem to do it only when new, some develop it after a while, some never experience it....it just depends. I thought I was set, went slightly over 1K and then it did it again....ugh. It's gone hundreds of rounds since, but I have a feeling it will happen again. The next time I will be installing the SSS hardened extractor I have on hand just in case. R,

This thread looks familiar :) . If you search the S&W(M&P,etc) forum you'll find a 9 page thread on the FTE problem. A lot of useful info there, maybe it will help.

EG

My FTE problems showed up at around 900 rounds. The frequency was once per 150 to 200 rounds. The problem was eliminated by changing to the SSS extractor and extra power extractor spring. I am of the opinion that fitting the extractor, original or SSS, so that the hook of the extractor is allowed to go deeper in the rim, will elimiminate the FTE problem in most instances. Since having the SSS extractor fit, I have had zero failures over maybe ten thousand rounds.

When I got mine about a year ago I took it the range and it drove me crazy doing the same thing maybe every couple mags. A gunsmith at the range tried to tell me it was my collection of S&W mags that had 3 slightly different followers. S&W wanted me to send it back for inspection.

On a hunch I swapped the guide rod/spring from my well used full size M&P 9. Several 1000 rounds later not a single malfunction shooting everything from PMC, Federal Champion, Remington UMC, Win WB and Win Ranger Nato.

Well, got my pistol back from S&W today, took about a week. Receipt says "barrel modification" and I called to ask what this was and they didn't have that information available. I'll give it a good workout and report back. BTW, I sent just the pistol to them and they returned it with a magazine!!! So far, no complaints with customer service!

Jim