Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal Question

Fireant

My Dillon 650 is out being worked on, so I had a local reloading business load some match ammo for me. My load had an OAL of 1.190 (.40 s&w) and normally has about a 168 pf. When I got home my rounds measured out to 1.140. My question is will this severly effect the velocity of the rounds? They told me no, but I know it did in rounds for my Glock.

Thanks

I wouldn't get too excited about the velocity, but please do look for signs of pressure. Especially in a 40.

If they are loading to your recipie (i.e. used the same amount and type of powder) then the pressure just about has to be higher.

You might ask them to chrono the rounds out of your gun to see if they still meet pf.

Depending upon what powder you had them use, .050 shorter could have a substancial difference on pressure.

Good suggestion. You might want to break out the chrono and see for yourself. I'm guessing it wouldn't have a significant affect, but you never know.

You're doing the right thing by testing them through the chrono first. I'm also new to the reloading circuit, but do know enough that you can't be careful enough with changes, no matter how insignificant they may appear.

Let us know what the results are so can confirm or silence opinions.

If you paid them to load to your specs, and they were off by 0.050", I would suggest they give you your money back. It's just not that hard to do it right, especially when being paid to do it right!

Pressure can increase greatly for small decreases in OAL. That doesn't mean that the loads they delivered are unsafe, but they definately need tested in your gun before you depend upon them.

I agree with Jeff. Being off .005 is no big deal. Being off .050 is a mistake in the setup...and it is a different load than the one you specified.

Also, the difference might (might not) be enough that you lose reliability.

Don't just check them over the chrono...check the brass for signs of pressure.

I agree with Jeff. You paid them to do a job and they failed to do it correctly. They need to do it correctly or give you your money back.

I haven't loaded with that powder but in my experience with W231 and Titegroup I have found that loading at the "published OAL" in the reloading manuals for .40 (1.125) versus where I usually load (1.150) is enough difference to go from PF 168 to 175 or there abouts. That is half your difference. Case capacity vs pressure is probably not a linear relationship.

Those rounds *may* be unsafe. Definately not to be tested in an unsupported chamber.

But then I am a chicken...a chicken with all his parts still attached...but a chicken. ;)

If it was a .45 I wouldn't worry But a very fast powder in .40 (one of the most potentially troublesome calibers for reloading) hmm better be careful. I think it will be very hot.

As Kyle said .050 error would cause feeding problems in my gun. That's a fact I can attest to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the chrono out today and was able to run this load through. That much difference in the OAL make a hell of a difference. Loaded to 1.190 I get 168 PF , loaded to 1.140 like these came back as I had a 180 PF. I'm not happy about this and the guy told me that the increased recoil was from the heavier bullet, not from the excess power. I'm still new at this, but that does not sound right to me.

Take the loaded ammo back and politely as your conscience will allow you to, ask for your $$ back. Simply tell him they were not to spec. Never go back for more loaded ammo from that sjupplier. Sorry to tell you but this is the story more times than not...