Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Loads for a Large Fun Factor

Bongo Boy

Sometimes you get one, I guess, that just makes you squeal with delight. Of course definitions of 'fun' will vary, but I'm just having a blast with some powder puff loads. I'll start with one you've got to shoot to believe.

About a month ago I was short on powder and went to the local shop as a last resort, looking for Trail Boss. Lo! They had a can in at some exorbitant price and I brought it home. Loaded up 3.6gr under a 200gr RNFP lead bullet, and some with 4.5gr under same. Shot 'em for the first time today, and the 3.6 grainers brought a tear to my eye. With a 40oz stainless P220, there IS no recoil. Didn't notice that much smoke either, although I was expected a ton based on comments I've read about Trail Boss.

I exaggerate of course, to make a point. But I couldn't believe the gun cycled at all...I've got the P220 set up with a standard factory P226 9mm recoil spring, and this load is fun with a capital F. I have to think it's less recoil than a factory .380 ACP by a wide margin.

Anyway, for a relatively cheap load that's a Pleasure Plinker, I'm going to load a few hundred at about 3.7 or 3.8gr. Although trail Boss isn't the least expensive powder by a long shot.

Any .45 ACP 'amusement loads' you'd like to share?

• 2 weeks later...

not a 45 load but a trail boss load 10mm 155g semi wad cutter 5.7g trail boss makes about 134 pf out of a stock glock 20 with very little smoke as well like you said recoil what recoil. My son shoots that set up in Limited minor.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have never attempted to use Trail Boss in my semi auto loads. I do enjoy Trail Boss in my revolver loads. In 45 ACP the 3.6 gr. Trail Boss with 230 gr. LRN has been a very accurate and mild load.

I put this load together a couple weeks ago just for the chrony data. It was so light I laughed out loud! After quickly realizing it had no chance at making PF I just had fun shooting the rest of the batch. I'm pretty sure that it could even be made softer and still cycle the gun.

Bullet: Berry's 185gn HBRN-DS

Powder: Accurate No. 2

Charge: 5.1gn

Case: WIN

COAL: 1.24"

This load is also responsible for my commitment to run 230's from here on out. :)

Hello: This is the smiley face load :goof: I use 200 grain Precision Moly bullet and 3.5 grains of Clays. If you want to teach someone to shoot 45acp this is the smiley face load. Caution it may bounce off cardboard targets :devil: Thanks, Eric

will it actually cycle? haha im shooting precisions and did some testing with Clays powder and into teh upper 3s and even 4 was pretty light. I may make a few of those for my gf to try out :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

5.2gr of Titegroup,200gr LSWC. Look out bowling pins!!!!!

haha, 4.9 is my competition load, makes around 850 FPS, 170 PF. i thought this was a fluffy load thread :D

4.9gr of titegroup behind a 200gr. coated LSWC is my USPSA major load. It not a powder puff load!

My recoiless load in a 1911 is a 185 gr. wheel weight cast RN with 3.2gr of bullseye. I need a 12lb spring to cyle the action. On a sunny day I can see the glint off the heel of the bullet when hits the target. I developed this as a begginer load for my girlfriend.

Edited by BallisticianX