Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm Stuck on this decision...........

BradGannaway

Oh my GOSH!!!!!! I'm about to pull my hair out trying to decide.

I'm going to shoot my first 3-gun match on the 21st and I want a 1-4x. Problem is I can't decide whether to buy a $800-ish scope and risk not liking the one I buy, or to buy a $200-ish scope, shoot it for a few matches, and look at everyone else's nicer scopes in order to see which I like best.

I'm leaning toward the $200-ish side, but now I'm stuck......again.

Millet DMS?- not great glass, heavy, but has illum and donut style reticle.

Weaver V3?- Better glass, basic reticle, no illum.

Nikon M223?- Even better glass, pretty good reticle (point blank) but no illum.

What I'm stuck on is this;

1. Is illum more important than clearer glass? Does the Millet's illum justify its purpose?

2. Is a "dot" style reticle more important than a "plex"?

If I knew those answers, I could make a decision. I'm leaning towards the Weaver just because of the cost; knowing that I will buy a Meopta/Trijicon/US Optic or something in a few months.

I'd like to order something today, so if you've got some advice, let me know.

This first match won't have any long range stuff so shoot irons and and after the match shoot the Meopta, Accupoints, Millets and whatever else we willl have out there.

The millet is not daytime illuminations so I'm told.

Heck you an even run my rifle on a stage to see how you like the Accupoint when its go time. This will clear up the scope issue for a while because you will then only be concerned with trying to figure out how to get a JP before the next match. :cheers:

Edited by jtischauser

No long range? Really? :cheers: Well, that makes my life so much easier!!!!! :wacko:

I'll shoot my Vortex Strikefire red dot one last time before I sell it and use the money for a 1-4x.

Thanks Jesse.

Easier but not as much fun. We will be using the simulated long range. Small targets at a max of 35-40 yards.

Edited by jtischauser

you forgot luepold makes a 1x4 type scope that is 'inexpensive' (300 bucks) illumination isnt reallythat important, iv actually seen people take target tape and put it overtheir acog's fiber optic stripe to getthe donut to darken up, because it was so bright that it made it appear to 'glow' and be biggerthan it really was...

Benny Hill recommended I buy a Burris XTR 1-4, when I told him it was too rich for my blood, he told me to get a Weaver V3 1-4. I got one, ran 2nd HOA in a 3-Gun and in the next match the cross hairs fell out and it rattled like a baby rattle. It took Weaver about 4 weeks to fix it and return it. I bought it a MidwayUsa on sale for $139.

I think the Weaver is a good start and it can make an excellent backup optic as it has no batteries to be dead like an EoTech. I had a Bushnell Holo everyone said it was junk you need an EoTech, so I got one, now all I want is to buy my Bushnell back and get rid of the EoTech. Best DOT is the AimPoint, it has a smaller lens so the parrallex doesn't have as much room to move around.

If 100 yards is the max you are dealing with a red dot scope of some kind with a good quality dot that holds zero would be my choice hands down. (I have had pretty good luck with 1st gen bushnel holo sights from ebay).

Inside of 300 yards the weaver works just fine. I used a weaver when I started shooting tac-optics and still have it (though I use a meopta kdot on my primary...). The weaver sits on a rifle I use as a loaner and I have never had a bit of trouble out of it.

The order of your priorities depends on what kind of matches you shoot.

I regularly shoot out to 425 yards (some matches more), my priorities are:

Flexible eye relief

Clear glass

Useful reticle (ie has a reticle with marks at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards)

Daytime illumination on 1x

im lookin at a leupold 1-4, quality glass, great warranty and not a bank breaker

I ran a leupold 1-4 for quite a while, but, if the match had long shots, where the targets were in the shadows, I had trouble seeing the targets. For "short" matches, it is great!

I have Millet DMS on 2 rifles and also have a Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope laying around. Eye relief is long on both but longer on the leupold. I run the DMS on a Larue SPR-E as far forward as it will go in the mount and on the reciever and wish I could push it out further. But I am 6'02" and have long arms and shoot nose to charging handle. While I could afford a more expensive scope, the DMS works for me. I have been very close to getting the Burris XTR, Trijicon 1-4 or Meopta K-dot on several occaisions, but I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. One day I will decide which I like better and upgrade but the DMS works for me for the time being. The daytime illum on the DMS is o.k. but not great and washes out in bright sunlight, but the cirlce-dot reticle is easy to pick up even when not illuminated so it works for me.

The order of your priorities depends on what kind of matches you shoot.

I regularly shoot out to 425 yards (some matches more), my priorities are:

Flexible eye relief

Clear glass

Useful reticle (ie has a reticle with marks at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards)

Daytime illumination on 1x

You've hit my priorities on the head. I've been shooting and instructing AR platforms (military) for almost 15 years. I know what I need on the range while target shooting and I know what you need in real world situations where the target moves and doesn't always look the same.

Somewhere in between those two requirements in 3-gun, and I think these parameters fit the requirements..........or so I assume, since I will be shooting my first 3-gun this weekend.

So rtr, what meets these specs, in your opinion and experience?

• 2 weeks later...

For most people, having a straight 1x on the low end is a big plus. Some people can shoot the 1.5, but I'm not one of them. Messes up my eyes and mind too much. I have a Burris 1x4 Eurodiamond with the 223 BDC (don't look for that one in the catalog, you won't find it), that is my primary optic, and I like it pretty good

I am using a Luepold VX-I 1-4 shotgun scope, $200 from Cabela's. Not sexy or tacti-cool, but it works well and is clear with a wide field of view. I shot my first rifle match with this set-up and was able to quickly hit small plates at 200 yds. Also, where the bottom of the crosshair transitions from heavy to thin in the duplex reticle happened to be the perfect point of aim for close targets under 25 yds. without having to think about any hold over.

P.S., I was in the prize money with this set up shooting in my first ever match.

Use the money you save for ammo and practice....