Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Frame 1911 in USPSA/IDPA

A62335

Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of how an aluminum frame 1911 holds up to the softer-than-factory 165PF of USPSA and IDPA? I've got a rather pricey aluminum-framed 1911 on the way, and would like to shoot it regularly at IDPA matches since it will be my everyday CCW gun. But, I'll stick with my steel-framed guns if the aluminum frame will not hold up to a steady diet of 165PF reloads.

Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of how an aluminum frame 1911 holds up to the softer-than-factory 165PF of USPSA and IDPA? I've got a rather pricey aluminum-framed 1911 on the way, and would like to shoot it regularly at IDPA matches since it will be my everyday CCW gun. But, I'll stick with my steel-framed guns if the aluminum frame will not hold up to a steady diet of 165PF reloads.

I would think that if the pistol is fitted properly, you shouldn't have any problems.

I think the modern aluminum frames hold up very well. About all manufactures make them. I have an early model 39 S&W that the old time I bought it off of told me he was afraid to shoot aluminum guns of that era. Several guys at gun shows have told me that about older guns, but not of new ones.

Shoot that light blaster. :cheers:

Also remember these guns where made to handle factory loads. 165PF isn't factory by quite a bit so it would be actually seeing less abuse than if you where shooting a steady diet of factory loads through it.

Also remember these guns where made to handle factory loads. 165PF isn't factory by quite a bit so it would be actually seeing less abuse than if you where shooting a steady diet of factory loads through it.

That is correct. 165 is way softer than most defensive rounds.

Thanks guys. I realize that 165PF is softer than factory. However, most people don't put the amount of rounds downrange that we do. So, even though our ammo may be softer, the significantly greater round count that our guns are subjected to might wash out the reduced wear effects of softer ammo, hence my question. I think I'll just shoot it whenever I feel the desire too, and if I run into any problems then I'll deal with them as the come.

Corey, I completely agree with you. Only reason I posted this is because the gun in question will be 1 of 15 in a limited run of guns, and I am hesitant to subject it to a super high round count, even if the ammo is downloaded. But, I think I'm just gonna shoot it anyways. No safe queens for me.

If pistol manufactures can't make the gun to be shot, then they shouldn't make the gun. If it gets beat up send it back and tell them a gun is a tool that is ment to be used...make it RIGHT!

LOL. Most guns don't get shot more than a few hundred rounds I would be willing to venture but I agree with the sentiment.

There is a lot of information in a at least a half dozen threads over at the 1911 forum on this topic.

The vast majority of the aluminum "gun" problems reported seem to be feed ramp related not frame problems.

Mags with a poly follower and using FMJs rather than JHPs seem to be the primary ways to avoid the problems.

If worst comes to worst a steel feed ramp can be installed.

I guess I will be the sole voice of dissent.... I have seen a couple of alum. framed guns with the mag release hole through the frame so wallowed out the mag release will not hold properly.

IMO the Alum framed guns shoot loose a lot quicker also.

I guess I will be the sole voice of dissent.... I have seen a couple of alum. framed guns with the mag release hole through the frame so wallowed out the mag release will not hold properly.

Were those newer or older guns that did that?

What decade of manufacture?

Corey, I completely agree with you. Only reason I posted this is because the gun in question will be 1 of 15 in a limited run of guns,

OK now you have to spill the beans on what 1911 you are talking about...and pics when she lands.

1 of only 15, and I'd be tempted to put that baby away and not shoot it.

But you say no safe queens for you. Ok, I probably wouldn't buy a gun I didn't intend to shoot.

Shoot that puppy. If you wear it out, well, by then you'll be wanting something else anyway.

BTW, I shoot an aluminum frame 1911 in USPSA.

If pistol manufactures can't make the gun to be shot, then they shouldn't make the gun. If it gets beat up send it back and tell them a gun is a tool that is ment to be used...make it RIGHT!

LOL. Most guns don't get shot more than a few hundred rounds I would be willing to venture but I agree with the sentiment.

Yeah, I know I'm probably be unrealistic but its how I think. They make the dang things to shoot bullets. My job is to shoot bullets through the dang thing. It should be able to do so with out coming apart. I guess if they think we shoot to much they should have a round counter on there and a limit lol.

Corey, I completely agree with you. Only reason I posted this is because the gun in question will be 1 of 15 in a limited run of guns, and I am hesitant to subject it to a super high round count, even if the ammo is downloaded. But, I think I'm just gonna shoot it anyways. No safe queens for me.

Ok well let me put it in a different perspective. If you have to ask the question, then don't you already have your answer? I think in the back of your mind your worried about damaging a irreplaceable gun. I know for a fact I wouldn't compete with a 1 of 15 gun. Buy a run of the mill Springer loaded and have a few mods done and shoot the snot out of it. Remember we don't shoot guns we wear them out!

I've seen the same thing on an Aluminum frame Kimber. Mag falls out about the 2nd or 3rd round fired.

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

True, but there's a good chance that it will need a lighter recoil spring in it to get the gun to run properly. If it's got a lighter spring, balanced to the ammo, it can have a similar slide speed to the heavier ammo with a heavier spring, and that's where most of the wear will come from. R,