Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 and Zero 124gr FMJ Range Data

Bass Ackwardz

Ok this is the data I have gathered myself. I will try to be as thorough as I can be.

I started 3.8gr, 4.0gr, and 4.2gr of Solo. I loaded 10 of each. In my strings, I threw out the lowest and highest shot then averaged them, and figured standard deviation.

It was 55 degrees today, with partly sunny skies. Every shot registered on the chrono. I am using a ProChrono Digital. All shots fired from a S&W M&P 9Pro 5".

3.8gr Solo 1000

124gr Zero FMJ

Win Brass

OAL 1.12

Federal SPP

945fps = 117.1PF

SD 3.83

4.0gr Solo 1000

124gr Zero FMJ

Win Brass

Federal SPP

OAL 1.12

960fps = 119.0PF

SD 5.82

4.2gr Solo 1000

124gr Zero FMJ

Win Brass

OAL 1.12

Federal SPP

967fps = 119.9pf

SD 5.55

Now I am not about to say that my handloading is perfect. I do weigh each charge on a beam scale, and check OAL with a digital caliper. I tried to get them all as close as possible to the measurements I was looking for. It would seem I have the "slow" jug of Solo 1000. I am going to load up three more sets starting at 4.2gr and going up .2gr and test them later this week or next. If I have forgotten anything, just let me know.

Bass

Edited by Bass Ackwardz

You should be able to make minor easily with 4.2 grains.

I always make sure that the sensors don't move/readjust between strings. If you had any sort of wind, the distance between the sensors could have increased.

IIRC, 4.0 with a 125 grain moly gets me about 135 and thats loaded long at 1.18" out of a 5" bbl.

You would think so. The chrono didnt move at all. There was very little wind if any at all. I have seen a few other threads with post by people claiming to have to use 4.7-4.9 to make 125 PF. I know there are also threads that talk about Solo coming from 2 or more companies, and some lots are just slower than others. I am hoping that isnt the case. I can make PF with Titegroup and a plated or JHP bullet all day long. I do know what I am doing when reloading, but if I cant make PF with this 8lb. container of Solo 1000 and not have to compress the load, then it will just get used for my .45 loads. I really had high hopes for this combination, but alas I am a bit disappointed.

Bass

It's not just him.

I got very similar chrono results on a 30-35 degree day, using a ProChrono Digital, and an M&P 9L. My load was a 124 Precision Delta over 4.0gr of solo at 1.120" It was right at, or near, 120PF.

3.8gr of Solo under a 130gr BlackBullet moly got me 133Pf on the exact same day. 1.125" OAL. Same winchester primers.

There can be a big variation in the burn rate of Solo from lot to lot. I needed to go from 3.3gr to 3.6gr to get a 147 moly and 147fmj to hit 128-129 PF, so bullet type plays a huge factor too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Lack of velocity would indicate a lack of pressure. I get 130PF with my 124gr, 4.2gr @1.130 OAL load. The Moly bullets travel faster. You will need more powder with your FMJ loads.

I am pretty sure I'll need more powder, but I have seen other data that uses 4.0gr of Solo with the same bullet, and shot in the same S&W M&P 9Pro that will make 130PF. Basically what this thread is saying is that there is a difference in what lot/manufacturer the Solo 1000 comes from. It just depends.

On another note, if I didnt just receive 3000 Zero FMJ's I would probably be tempted to try the 130gr TC BBI offerings. I am really impressed with their 200gr RN .45 bullet. If I decide to try them, I am sure I can make PF and feel comfortable with the capacity Solo fills the case to.

Bass

Lot to lot variations aside, the fact that .4 grain only nets 2.8 pf is what I would focus on.

When I was testing this powder, I had a nice, reasonably linear progression with every increment of .2 grains.

I have seen a few other threads with post by people claiming to have to use 4.7-4.9 to make 125 PF.

As I said in that thread, that is alot of S1000. Don't try it. I currently run 124 MG FMJ with 4.1 S1000 @1.14 and get 131+ out of a G34.

I HAD a PRO and it took more charge to keep up with the Glocks and the MG bullets are somewhat slower than most but you should still be able to make close to 130 with 4.2 at most I would think.

Don't give up on S1000 as it is pretty good powder. If you can find a pound try that and see if things change. If they do get ahold of the company and let them know. Maybe they will do something to make it right.

Sarge, I really dont know if I want to try and get ahold of another pound of it. Its just too much in my already busy life. I really do love my Titegroup under either a plated or JHP bullet, and just got a good deal on these FMJ's. Not wanting to use TG under them because of the smoke and lead issues, I thought I would try something different. Solo 1000 has been recommended by more than a few people, so I thought I would give it a shot. If this is what I have to worry about every time I get powder from a different lot, I think I'll just use something else for 9mm and use this for my .45's. I do really like it under them, so its not really a loss, just had high hopes for it in 9mm. And like I said earlier, I am really impressed with BBI, so I might try their 130gr TC bullets after I finish with these Zero's. I think it will be very good under the BBI bullets.

Bass

My results with Solo 1000 and 124 grn MG's were quite a bit different than what I expected too. From a Glock 17 (2 actually), I need 4.9 grn's to make 130pf. I was concerned and double checked everything-loaded another batch, used 2 guns, checked powder charge on two scales, OAL @ 1.125, two different chrono's, different days but still the same results. Not worried tho, no pressure signs, consistent ES, linear increases with increased charges. The loads are accurate, shoot softly and don't smoke.

I need 4.1 grns to make 130pf with 147 MG's. Same procedure as developing 124 grn loads. Feel the same as buddies 3.8 solo for same pf.

My results with Solo 1000 and 124 grn MG's were quite a bit different than what I expected too. From a Glock 17 (2 actually), I need 4.9 grn's to make 130pf. I was concerned and double checked everything-loaded another batch, used 2 guns, checked powder charge on two scales, OAL @ 1.125, two different chrono's, different days but still the same results. Not worried tho, no pressure signs, consistent ES, linear increases with increased charges. The loads are accurate, shoot softly and don't smoke.

I need 4.1 grns to make 130pf with 147 MG's. Same procedure as developing 124 grn loads. Feel the same as buddies 3.8 solo for same pf.

Yeah I think I just got one of the containers of Solo 1000 that isnt quite as fast. I am going to safely work up my load, but really dont want to run a compressed load if I dont have to do it. We'll see...

Bass

Your results make me wonder if the chrono wasn't far enough away and your reads were being affected by muzzle blast.

LOL...the chrono was 10 feet away. Not to mention that others have said they got similar results. But opinions will often vary.

Bass

Your results make me wonder if the chrono wasn't far enough away and your reads were being affected by muzzle blast.

LOL...the chrono was 10 feet away. Not to mention that others have said they got similar results. But opinions will often vary.Bass

I use Solo 1000, just started my second 8 lb keg. The disproportionatley small increase in velocity as you increased powder .2 gr, ~5%, is puzzling.

I am going to the range Monday or Tuesday to test the 4.2, 4.4, and 4.6 loads. I am seeing slight signs of primer flattening at the 4.0-4.2 range, but am going to use fps as my guide. I really hope I dont have an 8lb keg of Solo 1000 and am not able to use it for production 9mm minor...

Bass

I am going to the range Monday or Tuesday to test the 4.2, 4.4, and 4.6 loads. I am seeing slight signs of primer flattening at the 4.0-4.2 range, but am going to use fps as my guide. I really hope I dont have an 8lb keg of Solo 1000 and am not able to use it for production 9mm minor...

Bass

I would think twice about 4.6! :surprise:

Bass

Have you had a chance to test them yet ? Where in KC do you shoot ?

As a matter of fact, I did test them yesterday at the Lake City outdoor range with a few other bullet/powder combinations. I tested some .223 rounds as well. I did find that with the warmer temperatures, the 4.2gr of Solo and the same 124gr FMJ Zero did give me better velocities. I was around the 1020fps range, with a few lower, and a few higher. I tried the 4.4gr as well, and they went up to 1050fps. I looked, and there werent pressure signs except for a bit of a flattened primer. I might try Solo with a BBI 130gr in the near future.

I did, however, find a load that is probably going to be my new USPSA 9mm 125PF load. On the advice of a couple fellow shooters, I tried some Hodgdon Clays. Now I know what most of you are going to say, but I tried it and almost couldnt believe how soft it felt. It metered well out of my 550B, and I got the best 10 shot group of velocities I have seen to date. They varied no more than 12fps. To me thats pretty good. I like the way they shot even more. I tried them at my local Friday night match, and they performed flawlessly.

Bass

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally made it to the range to chrono some 130gr BBI TC over Solo 1000. Again, same results, not reaching high enough velocities to make minor PF. And the other thing is that I didnt see the linear progression of velocities with each increase of .2 of a grain. So I will live with Clays until something better comes along, and continue to love Solo for my 45.

Bass