Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time For A New 1911 Barrel

TBF

So many choices, so little money.

Nowlin looks good, tight bore, less powder.

Bar-sto looks good, heck, it's a Bar-sto, they always look good.

Kart looks good, especially the " easy fit " cuz I'm cheap.

WWJMBD

( What Would John Moses Browning Do ), If'n he wanted to spend his money wisely ???

I'm fairly sure he would opt to fit it himself, and I'm considering that option, not that I'm on par with JMB, but I have more time than money, and with Kuhnhausen and Shuemann's advice damn near etched into my brain, I think I could slowly fumble my way through.

What's the average price for a REAL bona fide master smith , like Benny Hill, or Golumbieski ( SP? ) the smith Benos uses ?

Time is not important, and when you look at it as a long term investment, I suppose a few extra bucks to ensure that the job is done right is'nt either.

Which barrel ?

Which smith ?

Do it myself ? ( yes I think I can , Iv'e done everything else for 25 years, but not this...)

Thanks in advance for advice. This forum is the only place I'd even consider asking this question.

Travis F.

No experience with Nowlin or Kart. I have had Schuman and Bar-sto with great results. The fitting is the most important part though spend the money get it done right. You will never be able to realize the full accuracy potential on an improperly fitted barrel. You might have to take a look at the slide to frame fit at this time as well. Chances are if you wore out a barrel you need to check the tolorences elsewere.

I'd say either Bar-Sto or Nowlin. Send it to Don for fitting. It just makes life easier and you'll appreciate a properly fit (and timed) barrel.

As an estimate, to fit a barrel, figure it around $150. Call the particular gunsmith though to get a better idea on the pricing. Probably will be cheaper, but I don't think it'll be more.

Rich

I've fit a Kart ez-fit into a singlestack .45 and it came out fine and accurate. The Kart kit has a file, shim and bushing that make your life much easier. I probably would leave ramped barrels and higher-pressure/finickier timing calibers to a pro though.

I've fit a Kart ez-fit into a singlestack .45 and it came out fine and accurate. The Kart kit has a file, shim and bushing that make your life much easier. I probably would leave ramped barrels and higher-pressure/finickier timing calibers to a pro though.

Shred,

That's encouraging, 45 singlestack , unramped, is what I'm rebarreling.

If you could, elaborate on the barrel timing issue, Iv'e read Schuemanns stuff and it seems to be something that could be accomplished without alot of stress SOME of the time. I would suppose that some guns would require alot more effort than others.

I also assume that most production guns are just assembled with parts from a bin on an assembly line.

Keep the info coming, I have a while to make this decision.

But after about 75k rounds, wear is starting to get pretty noticeable, and powder charge has increased accordingly to maintain velocity.

Travis F.

I just went through a barrel replacement. All of the smiths I talked to (who don't roll their own) told me it doesn't get any better than Kart. Talk to Benny Hill about fitting a barrel. My guess is (and it's only a guess) $250.00 to $275.00 for the barrel and fitting including the shipping back to you.

If it was easy, then any one could do it, and guys like Benny Hill would not be so well respected for their skills. I did an "easy fit" and only got average results. EGW did it right, as would any other Professional.

If you want the best go with Bar Sto, there is nothing better.

Have it fit by someone who knows what they are doing. It is the most important part of the process. I would recommend buying a Bar Sto and having Irv Stone at Bar Sto fit it. You won't be sorry.......