Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady L-N-L Powderfunnel?

I am trying to make up my mind as to how and set-up the new Hornady L-N-L AP i have coming . I want to use Redding dies as i believe in them so much coming from the rifle reloading world . But i want a expander die , i have looked into getting the Redding or Hornady but they are hard to come by !! I came across this interesting powder funnel that looks alot better than the Hornady powder expander , has anyone used one or heard anything about them the link will follow .

http://www.powderfunnels.com/

Edited by Shooter32

That is the one to get. My Hornady powder thrus work fine in .40 and .45, but for 9mm, even the .357 powder tgru took finagling. The cone funnel works great, and one will serve well.

i have had great success with my LNL. the powder-thru case expanders do take some tweaking to get to work, but once setup, they work great. i got mine dialed in so that .40 and 9mm were just a pop in and out and then go. caliber conversions are about 2 minutes with the extra quick change bushings. PM if you need any help with the tuning of the powder-thru expanders. i had some real problems with 9mm at first where the case activated powder drop wouldn't go all the way up and i was getting partial charges... not a good thing.

has anyone used one or heard anything about them the link will follow .

That there is a good product made by a friend of mine. Dan is a regular over on GlockPost.com. When he first introduced the idea I was skeptical of it's advantages but after trying his powder funnel design, it's vastly superior to the hornady options. IIRC Dan was originally trying to sell the idea to Hornady but they wouldn't bite. Since then I think Dan has made a near-full time career of manufacturing & selling these things. I haven't heard one complaint yet so I guess it was Hornady's loss.

I am trying to make up my mind as to how and set-up the new Hornady L-N-L AP i have coming . I want to use Redding dies as i believe in them so much coming from the rifle reloading world . But i want a expander die , i have looked into getting the Redding or Hornady but they are hard to come by !! I came across this interesting powder funnel that looks alot better than the Hornady powder expander , has anyone used one or heard anything about them the link will follow .

Got one, love it! Get one and you will be happy. Particularly a must have if you are resizing with a EGW u-die

• 1 month later...

Got one, love it! Get one and you will be happy. Particularly a must have if you are resizing with a EGW u-die

Is this guy still in business ? No response to EMail questions or an order placed a few days ago ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That there is a good product made by a friend of mine. Dan is a regular over on GlockPost.com. When he first introduced the idea I was skeptical of it's advantages but after trying his powder funnel design, it's vastly superior to the hornady options. IIRC Dan was originally trying to sell the idea to Hornady but they wouldn't bite. Since then I think Dan has made a near-full time career of manufacturing & selling these things. I haven't heard one complaint yet so I guess it was Hornady's loss.

Whelp I am going to complain

I ordered one from him via google checkout on the 29th of April

on May 7th an empty envelope arrived (it had been torn open in the mail)

here it is the 24th of May and I haven't heard a word from "Dan" ready to call the CC and do a charge back if he doesn't do something about it soon

I have sent at least 10 emails via google checkout and nada!

Sorry to hear this.

PM Dan. He is 'MakeMineaP99' over on http://www.glockpost.com/forums/index.php

I had better luck reaching him there. Good guy. Hope you get your funnel soon. Works perfect.

the system there isn't letting me send messages for some reason...??

I sent him a PM and linked him to this thread. Looks like it went through. I'll keep an eye out.

here it is the 24th of May and I haven't heard a word from "Dan" ready to call the CC and do a charge back if he doesn't do something about it soon

Not sure if Odawgp will chime in but Dan at Powderfunnel reports that a replacement was shipped and tracking info provided. Seems his 15 year old (neighbors kid) warehousemen/shipper :) is on a steeper curve than he expected. S#it happens.

Not sure if Odawgp will chime in but Dan at Powderfunnel reports that a replacement was shipped and tracking info provided. Seems his 15 year old (neighbors kid) warehousemen/shipper :) is on a steeper curve than he expected. S#it happens.

Dan made it right I figured he would if I could just get a hold of him

going through google checkout was not the way to do that

thanks Jman

happy reloading to all

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to share a couple thoughts on the powder through expander...

I have the Hornady .355 and as must of you know it is next to useless. It does expand just enough for a jacketed bullet to go in fine providing you hand guide the bullet right up to the seater die (almost squashed a finger once). There certainly is no setting the bullet on the case and cranking. I also tried the .357 and its way to short to work right w/o a homemade extender rig. I'd thought about ordering the powder funnel but I came to the realization an expander really does not belong in that powder system. Yeah sure they may fit and work to varying degrees but it often binds and slams down the powder rotor making for less than smooth operation. As I was to figure out later it was the source of problems with fully and consistantly indexing.

I thought I wanted a powder check but they seem to be somewhat iffy in reliability and I recall BE often saying you really don't need one... just visually inspect which I'm fine with. So I ordered a Redding expander die for about $20 from Midway to fill the slot. Let me just say I couldn't be happier. The press fully indexes everytime, no more slamming powder rotor, binding or crushed cases because it didn't fully index. Reloading on it is smooth and effortless (well except an occasional tight primer pocket) and there will be less wear and tear on the press. Plus the die is fully adjustable and fits multiple calibers. Did I mention it actually properly expands so you can place a bullet?

The Redding comp pro carbide die setup is expensive (Grafs has best price at $136) but IMO this may be the ultimate 9mm setup for a Hornady AP. Even with other dies/presses I think the setup will rock. Regardless of carbide I always use hornady case lube which makes things even smoother. Get back to basics and toss your powder through expander.

1) Resizer/deprimer

2) Case expander

3) Powder drop

4) Bullet seater

5) Taper crimp

I must be one of those weird people, but I tried the powder funnel expander and now it sits in a bin. I went back to the Hornady PTX because the powder funnel only bells the mouth and doesn't expand the ID of the case to the bullet diameter below the bell. Amusingly the Hornady PTX gets the expansion right, but doesn't bell enough. This seems to tick people off more because you have to hold the bullet in place (although I find that with some tinkering I can get the Hornady PTX to bell plenty fine for both 9mm & 40). I would get 100x (roughly of course!) more jacket shavings on the shell plate with the powder funnel PTX than I ever have with the Hornady. I can run the Hornady PTX for basically forever without cleaning the shell plate off. Not so with only the bell done by the powder funnel PTX.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Sounds like a fine set up for you.

I like mine just fine too.

Thats just an example of what I'm using and its not about brands. You could do the same with Hornady, Dillon or Lee etc. The point I was making is I don't think the PTX (of any kind) should be in the powder drop on a Hornady and your better off with a case expander die. Using one causes all kinds of quirks with reliability and puts a lot of wear and tear on the powder drop and the press in general. I haven't proved it but I also suspect it effects the powder drops consistancy when its getting banged around. The biggest problem is when a PTX binds, even slightly, inside a case on the upstoke and it creates enough tension when pulling the PTX and case apart that it slams the powder rotor down. If I was not using a load that only about 1/2 fills the case it would probably also spill powder.

Keep in mind the PTX was a poorly executed after thought by Hornady. I don't have any Hornady dies but as I recall they include a case expander in die sets and the press was designed for it. Now you pay for an expander die when you buy a set and then run out and spend more money on PTX's, powder check dies or other gimmicks. Chances are half the stuff you buy will end up in a bin unused and the vendors and resellers laugh all the way to the bank.

Sounds like a fine set up for you.

I like mine just fine too.

Thats just an example of what I'm using and its not about brands. You could do the same with Hornady, Dillon or Lee etc. The point I was making is I don't think the PTX (of any kind) should be in the powder drop on a Hornady and your better off with a case expander die. Using one causes all kinds of quirks with reliability and puts a lot of wear and tear on the powder drop and the press in general. I haven't proved it but I also suspect it effects the powder drops consistancy when its getting banged around. The biggest problem is when a PTX binds, even slightly, inside a case on the upstoke and it creates enough tension when pulling the PTX and case apart that it slams the powder rotor down. If I was not using a load that only about 1/2 fills the case it would probably also spill powder.

Keep in mind the PTX was a poorly executed after thought by Hornady. I don't have any Hornady dies but as I recall they include a case expander in die sets and the press was designed for it. Now you pay for an expander die when you buy a set and then run out and spend more money on PTX's, powder check dies or other gimmicks. Chances are half the stuff you buy will end up in a bin unused and the vendors and resellers laugh all the way to the bank.

Actually, I think the banging around of the powder measure provides *better* consistency. Have you ever tested it? I run my press pretty roughly (okay, ridiculously rough) and it just keeps going like the Energizer bunny. I use two resize dies (U-die second), the powder drop with PTX, Seater, Crimper. No lube on any pistol cases. I do wish I had six stations so I could use a bullet feeder though. :)

Mine doesn't have any reliability quirks due to the PTX that I can find. It works great actually - if anything just a bit noisy, but hey - I'm used to noise by now!