Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gun dilema

Corey

So I have shot a couple of matches now and absolutely love it! I have been shooting single stack with a relatively stock Colt 1911 - I added a beavertail to it and an S&A magwell. I was kinda planning on using it semi-stock for awhile then buying a dedicated singlestack competition gun down the road (not sure if i wanna buy off the shelf then have some work done or go the full blown custom route). I've just recently started thinking about a intro limited gun that would let me play around in a couple different divisions (LTD, LTD-10). Thinking maybe a tweaked Para or a semi-stock STI, not looking to drop a TON of money into one, but I dont want junk either. I could then put a limited amount of $ into my current single stack gun (adj sights, hammer, sear, etc).

The only thing is that I am set up to reload only .45 and currently pumping the handle on a single stage press. :mellow:

I'd probably just get dies for the single stage i have now to start with. thinkin of moving to a progressive in a year or so (i know i know, do it now itll pay for itself in no time, haha). Im still a fairly new reloader and I havent gotten my money's worth out of my current setup yet. PLus i dont thnk my bench would hold the weight of teh progressive machine too well-thats a future project for me as well.

What say the community? stick with the .45 and dedicate myself to a new gun and a single caliber/platform or play the field with a new gun and experiment with more divisions (thus needing more reloading stuff)?

thanks!

Run whatcha brung. Save the new gun for after you upgrade the reloading stuff.

or, if you just want to buy a new gun, go for it!

Shoot what you got, there is much to be learned in SS. Spend the money on a loader Dillon XL650, Hornady LNL, or a Dillon SDB. Buy lots of bullets.

You can always invest in some 10-round mags and run LTD-10 with your current Colt. I guess it depends on your goals. Do you want to play in other divisions now or do you have SS goals to achieve first?

ive thought about the 10rd mags as well. am i looking for a new gun for the fun of it? no. Do i like to get new guns? yes :)

just trying to see what the majorty of people thought. shoot and upgrade what I have a lil bit or get a new gun to shotot slightly different stuff. i suppose if i go the route of not getting a new gun, a new press could fill its place. gotta see what i can use on my bench. maybe ill get pics into the reloading forum for advice there.

Anyway, back on the topic at hand...what does everyone else think? new gun or upgrade current ( and maybe get new mags for a new div)

My $0.02:

If you're willing to stick it out with the gear you have for a couple years or so, then I'd just make due with what you are using now and save some money. After a few years, when you have a better idea about what division you want to pursue, then buy a custom gun for that division and invest in the proper gear for it. Buy a Dillon 550 or 1050 (depending on your ammo consumption rate) and practice like crazy.

When I started, I did it the other way around, buying a gun and switching divisions a lot, and it hurt my progress. If I'd have just saved my money, stuck with the first division I was shooting, then I could have invested the same custom limited gun that I have now a lot earlier. "Chipping away" at it now might only set you back from your real goal later on. And besides, whatever you think you want now will almost certainly have changed after a few years haha. :cheers:

ive thought about the 10rd mags as well. .... shoot and upgrade what I have a lil bit or get a new gun to shotot slightly different stuff. i suppose if i go the route of not getting a new gun, a new press could fill its place. Anyway, back on the topic at hand...what does everyone else think? new gun or upgrade current ( and maybe get new mags for a new div)

keep as is? new mags? upgrade gun? new gun? reloader? a lot of faces on that coin.

1st, Shoot the game for a little while w/ what you have. From your diary I see you only have 2 matches under your belt. It won't take you long to figure out what you really want to do. Right now it sounds like you have a dozen different options and you're trying to justify buying a new gun or doing lots of mods.

2nd, set a goal. With a goal you'll be able to identify what equipment you'll need to get there.

So if (for example) after a dozen matches you think Limited looks like more fun than the SS you're shooting now, get a decent Limited gun and set goals. If you enjoy SS and see no need to switch, then a goal will keep your practices and your equipment needs focused.

In other words, you need to figure out what YOU WANT, we can't do it for you. :)

Adding to the mix... Another option you aren't considering beyond equipment or a press is a good class from a top uspsa shooter.

-rvb

It sounds like you want to tinker some (I do the same). Get some 10rd mags, and upgrade what you have (action job, etc). Then you have a set up for two divisions, and pretty good equipment to get you to your current goals, or help point you towards new goals.

You really should shoot at least a full season before you start buying guns for new divisions. Otherwise, you can easily end up with a safe full of nice guns that really aren't what you want or like to shoot (this is the voice of experience speaking). I'd cast my vote for upgrading your current gun with sights and a trigger job, a handful of 10 rd mags to double up in Lim-10, and shoot a major match or two at the end of this season. Then you'll have a much better idea whether you want to go into limited, open, production, or even another discipline.

You'll also be able to find some good deals on limited guns next winter when guys suffering from upgrade fever start selling their already broken in and fine tuned blasters for prices better than you can match buying new guns.

ive thought about the 10rd mags as well. am i looking for a new gun for the fun of it? no. Do i like to get new guns? yes smile.gif

just trying to see what the majorty of people thought. shoot and upgrade what I have a lil bit or get a new gun to shotot slightly different stuff. i suppose if i go the route of not getting a new gun, a new press could fill its place. gotta see what i can use on my bench. maybe ill get pics into the reloading forum for advice there.

Anyway, back on the topic at hand...what does everyone else think? new gun or upgrade current ( and maybe get new mags for a new div)

Sounds like U want a new gun. Look for a used S_I 40 in the classifieds. Your going to need a progressive reloader "sooner" than later. Target your reloading investment to the caliber you intend shoot the most. In our game, 9 or 40 are the most used.

My $0.02:

If you're willing to stick it out with the gear you have for a couple years or so, then I'd just make due with what you are using now and save some money. After a few years, when you have a better idea about what division you want to pursue, then buy a custom gun for that division and invest in the proper gear for it. Buy a Dillon 550 or 1050 (depending on your ammo consumption rate) and practice like crazy.

When I started, I did it the other way around, buying a gun and switching divisions a lot, and it hurt my progress. If I'd have just saved my money, stuck with the first division I was shooting, then I could have invested the same custom limited gun that I have now a lot earlier. "Chipping away" at it now might only set you back from your real goal later on. And besides, whatever you think you want now will almost certainly have changed after a few years haha. :cheers:

Valid point at the end. The problem I may be able to see is that i would buy a low-mid end LTD gun then maybe want to get a "good" one later. i dont like the idea of maybe buying two guns. but at the same time, Id hate to drop serious money on a gun and not like the aspects of that division(i cant see any now, but you neever know).

Also, i have thought about a class from stop shooter, just havent been able to swing it yet.

ive got a couple bigger matches scheduled in the next month and half as well. :)

the setting of goals is something I need to think about too. how about GM in everything :cheers:

The problem I may be able to see is that i would buy a low-mid end LTD gun then maybe want to get a "good" one later. i dont like the idea of maybe buying two guns.

It's always good to have a back-up gun... so if you get something "low end" now, shoot the crap out of it and learn the game, it will make a good practice and backup gun a few years down the road when you REALLY know exactly what you want/need in a gun and pony up for that dream blaster....

-rvb

The problem I may be able to see is that i would buy a low-mid end LTD gun then maybe want to get a "good" one later. i dont like the idea of maybe buying two guns.

It's always good to have a back-up gun... so if you get something "low end" now, shoot the crap out of it and learn the game, it will make a good practice and backup gun a few years down the road when you REALLY know exactly what you want/need in a gun and pony up for that dream blaster....

-rvb

just when i start to talk myself out of an idea, you bring up a good point not to, haha.

So I have shot a couple of matches now and absolutely love it! I have been shooting single stack with a relatively stock Colt 1911 - I added a beavertail to it and an S&A magwell. I was kinda planning on using it semi-stock for awhile then buying a dedicated singlestack competition gun down the road (not sure if i wanna buy off the shelf then have some work done or go the full blown custom route). I've just recently started thinking about a intro limited gun that would let me play around in a couple different divisions (LTD, LTD-10). Thinking maybe a tweaked Para or a semi-stock STI, not looking to drop a TON of money into one, but I dont want junk either. I could then put a limited amount of $ into my current single stack gun (adj sights, hammer, sear, etc).

This would leave you with two guns that aren't quite what you want, rather than one gun that IS what you want.

The only thing is that I am set up to reload only .45 and currently pumping the handle on a single stage press. :mellow:

I'd probably just get dies for the single stage i have now to start with. thinkin of moving to a progressive in a year or so (i know i know, do it now itll pay for itself in no time, haha). Im still a fairly new reloader and I havent gotten my money's worth out of my current setup yet. PLus i dont thnk my bench would hold the weight of teh progressive machine too well-thats a future project for me as well.

If you can afford a new gun, you can afford a new press ;) You will still use the current equipment for some stuff...it has decades to pay for itself.

What say the community? stick with the .45 and dedicate myself to a new gun and a single caliber/platform or play the field with a new gun and experiment with more divisions (thus needing more reloading stuff)?

thanks!

If you want to get better faster, your best bet is to pick one division/platform and stick with them for a while although I think you could shoot both SS and L-10 with the same gun and not really slow your progress. Then, when you can afford to do it right, think about trying a different division. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

just when i start to talk myself out of an idea, you bring up a good point not to, haha.

My wife gets SO mad because I'll present all kinds of arguments for or against something, then usually about when I have her convinced I'll present all kinds of arguments the other way... hey, just making sure you have all the options to properly trade (the engineer in me).

Seriously, if you have $ burning a hole in your pocket, my recommendations...

1) good class

2) progressive press

3) work on existing gun

4) new blaster

-rvb

i dont necessarily have the money buring thru yet, but its a little warm. depends if I can get a few things sold as well as how much i get back from Unlce Sam this month. thanks for all the advice (and I think i missed you at Niles yesterday-i was there early and may have left before you got there or before you shot)

Ok, we got warm wallet lets make a decison here. No matter what you do except stop shooting your going to need to load ammo so now that we have that one down lets decide which one. The SDB is a bargain and the XL650 and Hornady are good options when you also load rifle.

Next your SS can be your backup gun later for just about any division except revolver. So start saving your money and when you get $1500-$2000 you start to watch for a great steal of a deal on a limited gun then make the plunge. By that time you will have an Idea of what you are really wanting to do. Being a BigDawg Daddy in every division is a tall order!

Buy a used 550, get 10 rd mags, load the hell out of some rounds, shoot a year, buy a new blaster. Believe it or not, the 550 will make you a better shooter (you'll load 3 times as many rounds in the same time, once you get it set up!), leaving more time for shooting!

Ok, we got warm wallet lets make a decison here. No matter what you do except stop shooting your going to need to load ammo so now that we have that one down lets decide which one. The SDB is a bargain and the XL650 and Hornady are good options when you also load rifle.

Next your SS can be your backup gun later for just about any division except revolver. So start saving your money and when you get $1500-$2000 you start to watch for a great steal of a deal on a limited gun then make the plunge. By that time you will have an Idea of what you are really wanting to do. Being a BigDawg Daddy in every division is a tall order!

Im up for the challenge! B)

i dont know if id need a progressive for reloading rifle at the moment ( im JUST in the process of building my first rifle as we speak). maybe i could utilize my single stage for that one to feel like im getting "use" out of it if i get a progressive.

I think you guys may have talked me out of a new gun for the time being. I gotta talk to a couple smiths for pricing on what I may want done (after of course I set my goals and figure out what I need done ;) )

There may be a thread on the reloading area from me in the near future, hahaha. I just dont know if my current bench could handle the weight, maybe a smaller secondary or something....anyway, I'm diverting from the topic at hand here.

i dont know if id need a progressive for reloading rifle at the moment ( im JUST in the process of building my first rifle as we speak). maybe i could utilize my single stage for that one to feel like im getting "use" out of it if i get a progressive.

I think you guys may have talked me out of a new gun for the time being. I gotta talk to a couple smiths for pricing on what I may want done (after of course I set my goals and figure out what I need done ;) )

There may be a thread on the reloading area from me in the near future, hahaha. I just dont know if my current bench could handle the weight, maybe a smaller secondary or something....anyway, I'm diverting from the topic at hand here.

Corey, is your bench made out of paper mache' or something? A 550 doesn't weigh all that much!

Corey, is your bench made out of paper mache' or something? A 550 doesn't weigh all that much!

haha, no. I got the 6' version of this little guy: http://shop.menards.com/shop/building-materials/workbenches/48inch-metal-workbench/p-59464.htm?cid=3195

You have a good frame and slide to start your upgrade. There have been a ton of custom 1911s built on Colt frames with Colt slides. Upgrade your current gun as funds allow and invest in a progressive press. My personal choice would be one of the Dillon presses due to the warranty and customer service that backs them up. Get with BE on recommendations on which Dillon to buy. The 550 and 650 are eaisly converted from one caliber to another when you start shooting more than the .45. You will be able to find some great deals on a used custom Limited gun if you watch the classified ads here.