Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L - Precision Moly 147gr Test Loads...

Jay870

Ben Stoeger has run thousands of 147 BlackBullets through his gun, with Titegroup under them. Pretty sure he's still alive. :goof:

Yeah, but he's not human...... ;)

3.3gr Solo1000

147 Black Bullets Moly

1.130" OAL

(The above was 128 PF from a glock 34.)

Would you have to make any changes if you were going to use Berry's plated bullets?

Well, I needed 3.55-3.6 Solo1000 to hit power factor in a Glock34, which is 20fps faster than my M&P 9L... Berrys, from what I understand, are somewhere between an FMJ and a moly/lead bullet. So at a total WAG, I'd say 3.5ish would be the ticket.

Or I could be totally wrong.

:D

Chrono results from yesterday:

43* at the time of the test. Nice and chilly day to speed Solo up.

1.120" OAL (actual rounds mic 1.115"-1.123")

Wolf primer

3.71gr Solo1000 (ten drop average on my scale)

Average velocity was 994 fps, for a power factor of 129.45.

I'll mention also that all the bullets I've put on a scale actually weighed 132.5-134 grains.

130gr = 961.5 fps to make minor

133gr = 939.9 fps to make minor

So if you ever chrono a bit low, having a bullet pulled could save your butt. ;)

I ran 300 rounds of blackbullets through the gun today, and every last one of them had a wolf primer. Every single one went bang. That's great, since I have 20K of wolf primers around the house that I paid $18 per thousand for. The stories of M&Ps hating wolf had me worried.

Maybe the revised striker's spring with 2 extra coils was helping me? Who knows. Just glad I can rely on them so far.

I like the 130s. They kinda split the difference between a 124 and 147fmj in felt recoil.

Well, I needed 3.55-3.6 Solo1000 to hit power factor in a Glock34, which is 20fps faster than my M&P 9L... Berrys, from what I understand, are somewhere between an FMJ and a moly/lead bullet. So at a total WAG, I'd say 3.5ish would be the ticket.

Or I could be totally wrong.

:D

Thanks. It gives me someplace to start.

I cleaned the gun after our Saturday match and it was nasty. I think it had been about 2k since I last cleaned it - just been hitting it with a bit of oil every week. Been trying to ensure it will go well over 1k without maintainence. It finally had one light stike from being partially out of battery, I decided to clean it at last.

I was worried because the last 300 rounds were moly, and it was really bad. There was only the typical carbon residue that's easy to clean, and a boresnake was all I needed to get the barrel spotless, but still...

So it was perfectly clean when I headed to the range last night and put 200 blackbullets through it. I feel better now, as it wasn't bad at all. Dirty FMJ loads like Wolf or Blaze have left the gun looking worse than this.

I plan to run 1k of 130 bbi's thru it before cleaning it to go shoot the Hot Springs IDPA match on the 27th, with zero maintainence. I'm not worried the gun will choke, at all. ;)

Chrono results from yesterday:

43* at the time of the test. Nice and chilly day to speed Solo up.

1.120" OAL (actual rounds mic 1.115"-1.123")

Wolf primer

3.71gr Solo1000 (ten drop average on my scale)

Average velocity was 994 fps, for a power factor of 129.45.

I'll mention also that all the bullets I've put on a scale actually weighed 132.5-134 grains.

130gr = 961.5 fps to make minor

133gr = 939.9 fps to make minor

So if you ever chrono a bit low, having a bullet pulled could save your butt. ;)

Thanks for the data. So you are comfortable with the 129 PF, or will you be bumping the load any ?

Going to leave it for now. Keeping 50 rounds from the EXACT SAME BOX I used for those chrono results, and I'll clock some at 70ish degrees and some when it hits 90-100 for most of the summer down here. I want to see how much velocity I lose as it warms up. Again, Solo is reverse temp sensitive.

If it's more than a couple FPS, I will bump it. If I were headed to the nats romorrow, Id bump to 3.8 ... which got me 133pf in 30 degree weather, thpugh I only fired 2 rounds through the chrono.

I've run about 6000 of the 130 BBI bullets thrugh my CZ SP-01 and standard M&P with excellent results. I'm using 4.5 gr WSF @ 1.125 OAL with WSP primers for about a 133PF in the CZ and 131PF in the M&P. Accuracy is excellent.

I also have a brand new 9 major open gun that is very accurate so I ran some through it to see how the BBI's compare to MG and Zero. The gun shoots 1.3" to 1.5" groups easily with the jacketed bullets @ 25 yards. The BBI's average 1.7" groups. I don't think that is bad at all compared to jacketed bullets.

I do have a bottle of Solo 1000 that I want to try with 9 minor loads. Sounds like it works pretty good. I can't find any fault with the WSF but, I just want to try Solo and compare. I get very little smoke with moly or lead using the WSF. I use Titegroup with jacketed and plated in 9 minor, also with excellent results.

I have also shot around 500 Wolf SR primers with no problems at all. I did some side by side testing in 9 major with WSR and Wolf SR primers and there was virtually no difference in velocity or standard deviations. No misfires either. I have noticed the Wolf SR primers do seat a little harder than other brands of small pistol primers but, I think that is normal from what I have heard and read so far.

Finally got to chrono...

M&P 9L, OEM Barrel

Precision 147gr 9mm

Winchester fired brass

Federal Small Pistol Match

3.4gr Solo 1000 (10 charge average)

~1.115 COAL

Avg: 907

StdDev: 5.2

Power Factor: 133.329

Dude,

I don't know how accurate that load will prove to be, but 15 fps ES is outstanding! Let us know how that one groups.

Yeah I was very surprised by the consistency as well. Loaded on a 550B. I spent some extra money on some of the UniqueTek mods so maybe that has helped with the consistency... don't know.

The accuracy falls in the "good enough for me" category... I am no bullseye shooter. At 15 yards I kept a 10 shot group in the upper A-zone (i.e "head shot"), and at 25 yards a 10 shot off-hand group was about 5". That is about what I do with factory ammo so that is more indicative of a skill I need to work on rather than the accuracy of the load.

A buddy is getting an M&P insert for his machine rest so at some point this spring I should get a chance to see what the load does without shooter error.

• 2 weeks later...

I just loaded up 100 rounds using BBI 130 grain bullets, WSF, and Winchester primers. With any luck I can sneak to the range in the next day or two for a quick chrono session.

• 1 month later...

Revisiting this idea of "fast" Solo 1000 vs "slow" Solo 1000...

Went out today to verify my current load (detailed above in post #37) in anticipation of Area 5 in a few weeks. The testing I did back in March, and testing I did today and what I will be loading for the match all came from a can of Solo 1000 that was purchased a little over a year ago. The load made 133.3PF in March, and made 133.1PF today, so far so good.

That original can is near empty, so I decided to break open the "new" can of Solo 1000 I bought from Natchez about a month ago and run it over the chrono while I had it out. Same load spec, only variable being the "lot" of powder, made only 121PF. The heaviest charge I worked up for testing was 3.6gr, and that made only 124PF!. I don't have the per-shot data in front of me, but had roughly a ~%10 velocity decrease for the same load between the two cans.

Went out today to verify my current load (detailed above in post #37) in anticipation of Area 5 in a few weeks. The testing I did back in March, and testing I did today and what I will be loading for the match all came from a can of Solo 1000 that was purchased a little over a year ago. The load made 133.3PF in March, and made 133.1PF today, so far so good.

That original can is near empty, so I decided to break open the "new" can of Solo 1000 I bought from Natchez about a month ago and run it over the chrono while I had it out. Same load spec, only variable being the "lot" of powder, made only 121PF. The heaviest charge I worked up for testing was 3.6gr, and that made only 124PF!. I don't have the per-shot data in front of me, but had roughly a ~%10 velocity decrease for the same load between the two cans.

Wow - that's a pretty big difference. I'm only running 3.1-3.2gr with a 147 BBI at 1.135 in a stock M&P Pro and making ~130pf.

Your post makes me feel better. I don't know if I will be able to chrono in 90+ degree heat before Area 5 (as it will probably be.) The last chrono's were in see-your-breath & 50 degree weather. I was well over so I should be fine, but you never know.

Jay, lot #1930? It took me 3.7gr to get to 134PF.

Yes, #1930.

What's your bullet & OAL? Looking at what I shot so far I'm figuring I'll be pushing 3.9-4.0gr before I see 133-134.

• 1 month later...

Jay, lot #1930? It took me 3.7gr to get to 134PF.

Some more load data from the new/slow Solo 1000 Lot #1930

These numbers are kind of rough as I was just trying to get in the neighborhood and come up with a load for Saturdays match. Will be going back and probably re-working 3.8, 3.85 & 3.9 to re-check for consistency & accuracy.

Power factors listed below were based on 10 shot average velocity, Precision 147gr 9MM, Winchester fired brass, Federal Small Pistol Primer and COAL of 1.115-1.118

3.8gr = 131.6PF

3.9gr = 135.2PF

4.0gr = 135.6PF

4.1gr = 138.2PF

• 1 month later...