Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Numbering

bobobooie

I have a small Badger brand sand blaster used for etching glass. I went to a craft store and bought some etching sand and some small plastic stencils. I taped the stencil numbers to the back of the magazines and gave them a blast of the sand. This is the result.

post-11000-126697999733_thumb.jpg

That is bloody COOL! I'm wanting to mail you my mags, but I can't be without them that long! How do you think it would look on stainless? I know you'd be able to see it, but...

I think if the stainless was polished the contrast with the sand blasted numbers would be nice. I have applied Brownell's GunKote to stainless mags then baked them in the oven. That worked real well.

NICE. Are you worried about the bare steel rusting over time?

Time will tell Duane. I was not concerned about it as I oil and clean a lot. The lower back of the mag seemed out of harm's way, so to speak. If it proves to be a problem I'll use the airbrush gun and color them with some color of bake on finish.

I have a small Badger brand sand blaster used for etching glass. I went to a craft store and bought some etching sand and some small plastic stencils. I taped the stencil numbers to the back of the magazines and gave them a blast of the sand. This is the result.

Very professional looking :cheers:

I wonder what would happen if the same technique was applied to stainless steel.

I'm thinking that the grit or media used would play a part in the end result. And probably the air pressure. Also, if the stainless had been polished the subsequent blasting would leave a "frosted" appearance I think. I just finished a flower vase for the wife on a smooth clear glass vase. The end result was the frosted look to the design that contrasted nicely to the smooth finish.

I'll see if this little blaster and the fine media can work with stainless, both polished and not. Thanks for the idea!

Hey Duane!!!

I took two CMC single stack mags in stainless. One was just like it came from the vendor, the other lightly polished.

I used the same white sand, the same air pressure, and got these results. The slight side angle showed the numbers best. From directly behind them the numbers are visible, but subdued. My mags are already numbered on the mag pad, but in the future I'm gonna do it this way. As I get motivated I'll experiment with pressure and the media used. What I want to stay with is the inexpensive Badger blaster. Hope that answers your question. And thanks again for the idea. This will be my new method as it does work.

post-11000-126730586892_thumb.jpg

Hey Paul!!!

Looks really good. Makes me wish my Glock, 1911, etc. mags were numbered that way. I've been using pieces of paper with numbers written on them, held in place with Scotch tape, for years - which works a lot better than it sounds like it would, but does lack, ahem! that certain something from an elegance standpoint. :lol:

Hey Paul!!!

Looks really good. Makes me wish my Glock, 1911, etc. mags were numbered that way. I've been using pieces of paper with numbers written on them, held in place with Scotch tape, for years - which works a lot better than it sounds like it would, but does lack, ahem! that certain something from an elegance standpoint. :lol:

I know what you mean. I've used labels from my label maker, paint, white out, etc, etc. It's been a crappy winter and I got bored. Next up I'll try it on plastic. Wait till you see my stippled holster and mag pouches!!!

I'd be really curious to see how it looks on a Glock mag.

Me too. I did not have one but did have a 1911 bushing wrench (Kimber brand) that is made of some very hard plastic type of stuff. Plastic would be the wrong word, it's hard as heck and solid black. This is the end result utilizing the same set-up as before. I'll score a Glock mag later on and give it a go on the actual mag.

Pic will be up soon.

post-11000-126737380135_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobobooie