Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag release

Strick

• 3 weeks later...

I shoved the mag in and pressed the mag release, over and over. I don't know how many times but my thumb did hurt. After that and a dozen or so matches it's fine now. Oddly, I bought a new XDM 40 (my XDM 9mm was also new) about 3 weeks later and the magazine release on it is smooth as glass out of the box.

• 1 year later...

Hmm... I have 2 XDm 5.25" in 9MM - neither of them, at times, will drop a full mag. Haven't tried it w. a partial, or noticed a problem w. empties, but I haven't shot it that much, yet.

Is this a defect? (Never had a gun w. this arduous of a release.)

It will get easier over time, but in the mean time I wouldn't load the magazines to capacity. Just leaving one round out makes a difference, and the less you load the bigger difference you'll see. 10 round magazines are even worse. That's why I got rid of my 10 round magazines, and sold them to a poor soul moving to Canada...bless his heart!

Edited by grapemiester

fully loaded mags have a tendency to be hard to release due to the fully compressed spring and the top round pushing against the bottom of the slide it forces the mag against the catch it will get better over time.

Does it matter if the gun is not dropping full mags? Like Joey said, the full mags are compressed against the slide, holding it in the gun. As soon as you fire one round, the mag should drop free. Is there a scenario where you have to speed load from a full mag to another mag?

Well, they work fine empty or w 10 rounds in them - to get out a fully loaded one, I have to push up on the mag, then press the release

If it's that bad, to the extent of having to push up on the magazine, I would send the gun to Springfield Armory for a repair. Send the mags, too.

Edited by grapemiester

I got my "promo" mags a couple days ago. I'll go through and mark them, and see if it was just the one mag, or all of them. I'll also double check if it was both guns - I think it was, but it might have been the same mag...

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up taking the mag catch and spring out and polished up the plastic that the metal mag catch rides in between this seemed to fix the problem. I never really noticed mine being notchy until I added an extended mag release. But like others have said don't take this out unless you have good mechanical aptitude and maybe some decent little tools to help you out, it is a freakin bitch.

Also like others have said yes its difficult to release a full mag due to the fact it has quite a bit of pressure pushed down on the mag catch making it hard to move, just push up on the mag a little. This really shouldn't be an issue, like on my gun it is harder to insert a full capacity mag than it is to insert one with 18 rounds.