Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

subjective sports scoring

RUSHARP2

Watching the Olympics(woman's half-pipe). The Aussie has a 2.9 for a first run then a 45 for a second... puts her into first. American has a 42 first run and 39 second run, finishes second. What happened to the person that runs faster, jumps higher, throws farther wins.

I have always played/participated in sports that are win/loose and you know where you are at all times. Score more touchdowns/field goals...win, score more runs..win.

Even now as I am involved with USPSA, better hit factor wins. never heard of a match were the guy with a hit factor of .29 beat the guy with a 5.7, because the first shooter shot a more technically correct match.

I just don't get it.

I hate subjective scoring, too... My wife competes in an entirely subjective... <_< ...sport. I joke with her that anything that's scored by judges might be an art form, might be an athletic event, but it ain't a sport... roflol.gif She doesn't find it that funny... go figure... rolleyes.gif

But, perhaps you're missing that they throw out the score from the lower of the two runs? So, (s)he with the highest single run score wins? Just the way the scoring works in that game...

Anything where some group of judges decide on your score.. is not a sport.. sorry.. toss them all out.

Like in the old jokes during the cold war .. 9.9, 9.7, 9.6, and a 2.8 from the Russian judge!

I was watching some event the other day, the commentators are saying.. behind that mogul, the judges might not have seen that error, and then on the same run, with the fog, the judges might not have seen that slip up...

Downhill skiing, Super G - those are sports.

Figure skating, Freestyle snowboarding - NOT! I appreciate the amount of skill it takes, the dedication, etc.. but in the Olympics?

Subjective Sports is a contradiction.

+1 Billion.

If it has Artistic Cntent then it is fecking ART.

I bet if Earnhart Jnr goes over the finish line first but sideways on 4 blown tires with his arse and head on fire, he wins. The next guy goes over the line with a nice potted display on the dash and a lovely haircut he still friggin looses!

Cripes you have no idea have this kind of shjt pisses me off, i don't generally get riled up over the Olyimpics but this just burns my gonads.

Refer the thread concerning http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=077_1266518913 thats how you fix artistic content.

what ever happened to form follows function??? case in point, ski jumping, you fly down the hill the farthest, but in the eyes of the 'judges' you didnt land with enuff 'style points' you lose out....hell id be happy to have just landed!!!! whats next??? you want style in ski jumping??? land on ONE FOOT, now there is a combination of stype and concentration

an we wont even get into figure skating...cept to say they got rid ofthe compulsaries, that made up a HUGE amount of the skaters score by having to repeat a series of skills...now we look at the lineup and who ver is going last, well, they pretty much have the Gold locked up