Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zerk Grease fittings

I used search until an hour went by reading post and then decided to post my own. I am a pencil pusher and not mechanically minded! At the last gun show I noticed the Dillon "rep" had grease fittings in the front (base) of a S1050 on display. He was busy with a line of customers and I could not talk to him so I started looking in the lubrication post of this forum and saw constant references to Zerk Grease fittings? Can I install these in my 2 S1050's? I always clean my machines every 10 to 15k but have never wanted to try and break it down to the point of greasing the innards as I was afraid I would never get it back together again. I always wondered why Dillon had no grease fittings to make the job easier?

What are your experiences and/or fixes to greasing the insides and are the Zerks easy to install and worth it? Thanks for any help- CS in VA

I used search until an hour went by reading post and then decided to post my own. I am a pencil pusher and not mechanically minded! At the last gun show I noticed the Dillon "rep" had grease fittings in the front (base) of a S1050 on display. He was busy with a line of customers and I could not talk to him so I started looking in the lubrication post of this forum and saw constant references to Zerk Grease fittings? Can I install these in my 2 S1050's? I always clean my machines every 10 to 15k but have never wanted to try and break it down to the point of greasing the innards as I was afraid I would never get it back together again. I always wondered why Dillon had no grease fittings to make the job easier?

What are your experiences and/or fixes to greasing the insides and are the Zerks easy to install and worth it? Thanks for any help- CS in VA

The grease fitting in my 1050 would be a difficult task to install. The steel where it goes appears pretty stout and using a pipe thread tap would best be left to a machine shop. You break off a tap and you won't be a happy camp

Edited by boz1911

Don't be afraid to take it all the way down, it's really simple to do and to put back together. I used to load for a police department on a 1050 and I took that one down so much I could do it in my sleep, and I really mean take it down, when I finished it was a bare frame. Remember to take some pictures before you take it apart so you can see what it's suppost to look like.....

Greg in VA

Don't be afraid to take it all the way down, it's really simple to do and to put back together. I used to load for a police department on a 1050 and I took that one down so much I could do it in my sleep, and I really mean take it down, when I finished it was a bare frame. Remember to take some pictures before you take it apart so you can see what it's suppost to look like.....

Greg in VA

Good idea on the pictures! The 1050 the rep had looked like he drilled and tapped a fitting centered in the front...I am sure any of you from Va. have seen him at the gun shows. He is also a commercial reloader out of Va. Beach. If I could remember his name I would mention it...maybe I will track him down and see what he did...He has been at the reloading business a long time...C

They are worth looking for. If you do find any you would be amazed how well you can grease the points. The tip of the gun has a small point on it. If I hold it tight in the holes it will pretty much push the old grease right out.

Greg in VA

Good idea on the pictures! The 1050 the rep had looked like he drilled and tapped a fitting centered in the front...I am sure any of you from Va. have seen him at the gun shows. He is also a commercial reloader out of Va. Beach. If I could remember his name I would mention it...maybe I will track him down and see what he did...He has been at the reloading business a long time...C

you wouldn't be referring to terry mcmanuels of Mac's reloading, would you?

-jaredr

My 1050 is one of the old nickle plated ones that I purchased in early 1989. It did not come with zerk fittings and you had to tear it down to grease it (which was no big deal). At some point I sent it back to Dillon to get it retro-fitted and they installed some new replacement parts that had the grease fittings. Is your machine old? You could just get the two parts from Dillon. You just need the main "rotor" (it has two fittings) and the small "rotor" for the primer pocket swage rod (it has one fitting) and you'll be current.

Does the 1050 have the little holes like the 550? If so I use this

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=7554&group_ID=1542&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

No need for grease fittings.

Sarge,

That grease gun looks perfect for my 650. Can you load it with bulk grease or do you use the grease cartridges sold by Snap-on?

Rick

Does the 1050 have the little holes like the 550? If so I use this

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=7554&group_ID=1542&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

No need for grease fittings.

Sarge,

That grease gun looks perfect for my 650. Can you load it with bulk grease or do you use the grease cartridges sold by Snap-on?

Rick

It takes this

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=7555&group_ID=1542&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

It is for greasing air tools I think. I just flagged a Snap On driver down and bought one. I think with the cartridge and pump it is around $25. I just put firm pressure on it and push into the little holes and it will force the grease right out the ends of the shafts.

Greg in VA

you wouldn't be referring to terry mcmanuels of Mac's reloading, would you?

He's the one!! Seems to know his stuff and is always well stocked...

-jaredr