Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star!

The plates are not standard 8" round plates. They have a kind of "stem" or base to them, which is obscured behind a guard such that it appears to the shooter to be a standard round plate. In the plate stem are two holes that are placed over two pegs on the mount. Additionally, a spring-loaded lever holds the stem on the mount with tension.

For reasons unknown, the plates are thinner, and thus lighter, than standard plates. This might have something to do with their need to be "pushed" off the mounting pegs when hit by a bullet.

You can buy just an arm and a plate.

Merry Christmas

TERRY ASHTON

9862 RUNION RD.

SAN ANGELO, TEXAS 76905

(915) 655-2809

e-mail – c8scrakr@airmail.net

2002 TEXAS STAR

OPTION 1 COMPLETE STAR – suggested for Clubs $440.00

INCLUDES:

6 ARMS

6 PLATES OF AR 400 STEEL

EXTRA SPRING/BOLT KIT

As Robert points out you can buy the star and/or pieces from the inventor/manufacturer. Robert has provided contact info. Since Terry invented one of the hottest and most innovative IPSC target arrays recently it seems most appropriate (and ethical) to contact him for information on the design. He is a very nice guy. I'm sure he will be glad to work with you. I know that he has shipped parts for stars overseas.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I will be talking with Terry's wife tomorrow. If you like, I can find out the status of your request. She did talk with me about it a couple of weeks ago. They are extremely busy at the moment and sometimes getting in contact is tough.

Liota

• 3 months later...

I'll tell you what, Terry makes the finest piece of equipment in the world. I purchased one a year ago (OKC Gun club) and it is wonderfull. Save yourself a hell of a lot of work and just purchase one. I'll tell you what....the enginering that Terry put into that thing is amazing. It works flawlessly every single time. I saw the MGM target online, but I can't imagine it beats the original Ashton design. Give him some time..... I am sure a good welder could make something that operates like a "Texas Star".... But it would be a hell of a lot of work, and would never turn out right on the first attempt. Well worth the $$.

• 2 months later...

I recently had the pleasure of meeting the Ashton’s when I picked up a Texas Star for a friend. One of the innovations you will find in Terry’s target is the arrangement of the mounting holes on the center plate. By using different sets of holes you can create a two or four plate arrangement for different challenges. Terry said that he was working on a single set up that would allow you to create a 2, 3 , 4 or 5 arm target. (That was on July 5, 2004.)

The workmanship and materials are first rate so this device should last a long, long time. Terry ships all over the world and clubs pay the freight that amounts to double or triple the cost of the target because it is so well engineered and ruggedly built.

Be safe, have fun...shoot to win

geezer

MGM cuts a triangle R@R cuts a T shape on the holding end of the plate with a solid little plate over the back held by a spring. It was MUCH easier to set and the plates don't fall off prematurely. I've not used the MGM, but it is a similiar idea without the flat spring.

R&R doesn't bother weight matching his plates, so the star won't set up the same way each time. Makes 'em annoying to set up without spinning.

Texas Star does, and includes six plates with the basic set (all weighted the same).

MGM does...and makes the whole thing out of rifle-grade steel (quite a bonus, IMO).

Although not much of a point, I have a very hard time dealing with a guy who knocks off Dale Alcorn's Bear Trap (badly) and Terry Ashton's Texas Star (also badly). Mike Gibson is a stand up guy and actually asked Terry for permission to make his own version of the Star (which Terry granted, without reservation BTW).

Dale reports that he gets a lot of of folks asking him to repair R&R's Bear Trap knock-offs...R&R never should have tried springs ;) Dale's original Bear Traps are half the price and...work smoothly every time. What a concept.

Alex

Although not much of a point, I have a very hard time dealing with a guy who knocks off Dale Alcorn's Bear Trap (badly) and Terry Ashton's Texas Star (also badly).

Well, you have me there, I have no idea (nor care to know) about the politics behind the history of the deal :)

I talked to Robert and he said he saw saw some improving that he thought could be done and did it to the star. The holding mechanism is better and simpler to use than the original stars I've seen, but they could be a million years old as far as I know. I know they just don't fall off and threaten to break you toes, which after setting 3 stars in one stage for a squad of 13 people is a big plus in my book. If I were to build one I would try to figure a way to set it the same without the help of gravity.

I am not promoting any particular product, mearly the design of the attaching mechanism, as this thread was about building your own, not buying one.

BTW - Nothing like competition to make product better and more affordable :) Especially with the cost of shipping steel. :) That's why I'll weld my own since I live in the sticks and I can now thanks to my new MIG welder and torch set :)

There are stand-up guys like Mike Gibson, maker of first rate products and gentlemen even in business (something not found often these days).

And then there are others.

Terry's original Star is great for pistol and shotgun use. By changing the springs, you can use the same Star for wusstacular Cowboy Action loads. With those same light springs and the thin plates, the Star works for .22LR.

Mike's version of the Star is rifle-grade, which adds a whole different weapons system to the mix (buah hah hah)...but (as of yet) he doesn't have a .22LR retrofit setup.

Nothing is ever perfect out of the box ;)

Alex

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...