Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

upside down primer

I finally seated a primer up side down yesterday. It didn't feel any different, but it sure jumped out at me when I boxed up the finished cartridges. Is it possible if I didn't have the pickup tube perfectly square to the primer magazine while dropping the primers that one tumbled on the way out?

This was small pistol, loading 9mm, on a RL550B.

A couple months ago, I had a sideways primer, which indicated I was overdue to clean press / primer system. I did that, and have probably loaded about 1k since.

I finally seated a primer up side down yesterday. It didn't feel any different, but it sure jumped out at me when I boxed up the finished cartridges. Is it possible if I didn't have the pickup tube perfectly square to the primer magazine while dropping the primers that one tumbled on the way out?

This was small pistol, loading 9mm, on a RL550B.

A couple months ago, I had a sideways primer, which indicated I was overdue to clean press / primer system. I did that, and have probably loaded about 1k since.

I did this once. Mine was caused by the primer cup not being aligned properly. The lip of the cup was catching the bottom of the shellplate, just enough to push the cup down a little, it would let go and then the cup would spring forward, sometimes flipping the primer out or around.

I've noticed when I load the primer tubes and use the end of the clip to push the last one past the plastic end, sometimes the primer flips over as it goes through the plastic piece into the tube. These are the pick-up tubes I'm talking about. Using the small tubes with small primers.

Just one more thing I have to watch for when loading my pimer pick-up tubes.

it happens more than you would think, it is one good reason to check all the match amoe. Over the years I have loaded close to 100 like that. as far a % though it close to one in one thousand

Do you bother trying to salvage the brass? It seems like an upside down primer would be particularly dangerous to try decapping. I pulled the bullet and reused it, but I tossed the brass and powder

Edited by njl

it happens more than you would think, it is one good reason to check all the match amoe. Over the years I have loaded close to 100 like that. as far a % though it close to one in one thousand

Do you bother trying to salvage the brass? It seems like an upside down primer would be particularly dangerous to try decapping. I pulled the bullet and reused it, but I tossed the brass and powder

not really dangerous if you go slow, the anvil has nothing backing it being upside down.

Powder goes back in the hopper, brass goes back through the machine, all the time, everytime. I get one every 2K or so. Usually I am sure it happens in the primer tube as suggested previously, sometimes it happens when the lip of the primer cup is caught on the shell plate. But I can feel that and tip it back the right way before it goes in the case.

If you use the old Auto Primer filler from Dillon without the speed controler upgrade you will get about 3-5 per 100. Dillon since upgraded the the primer filler with the speed control and that fixed the problem. Now I get maybe 1 per 1000. I've always run the brass back thru the deprimer and never had a problem. BTW, just a plug for the Auto Primer filler, if you've got a couple hundred extra $$'s try one, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Terry

I have try-ed to toss the brass out , but it nags me to wast it.

Yes , I admit to saving the brass.....even the primer too. Always use your eye protection when loading.

I empty the primer tray and size the brass slow

Check to be sure all the plastic tips are pushed all the down on the tubes.

be

On the pickup tubes, magazine tubes, or both?

Fireant:

I've loaded multiple pickup tubes before and then laid them down in one of the bench drawers without that causing a problem...but this last session, I only loaded the pickup tubes as I needed to load the magazine, so they never went horizontal.

Edited by njl