Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is it....

nickatnite

That the Springfield XD's are treated like the black sheep of the USPSA? Now, for the records, I do own XD's and Glocks, I currently shoot a G-17 set up for Production. My carry weapon is a G-19. Home defense weapon? Springfield XD-9...

Why? After several trial and error platforms, my wife (who is a relatively new shooter in general) just likes the ergonomics of the XD platform and I must admit that I do also. With that being said, I saw an XD-9 Tactical at a gun show yesterday and it started growing on me. I've been looking for a G-34 and they had one also. If it would have been ANY day before yesterday, I would have bought the G-34 without question; but, now I've got the squirrels in my brain running wild...

Anyone who has used a G-34 and an XD-9 Tactical for Production, can you give me a good comparison?

Thanks,

Nick

The Glock is much easier to modify. If you used the G17, why wouldn't you go with the G34? You're already used to the Glock design. I used the Glock and have tried the XD. For me, I choose the Glock over the XD for 3 main reasons:

- Trigger reset is much shorter in the Glock

- Easier to take apart

- lower bore axis

To me, it all boils down to personal preference. Pick both up and shoot them, then go with the one that feels natural in your hand.

I shoot an XD-40 in IDPA and am fairly competitive. I also know a Master class XD shooter in my club that also shoots an XD-40. The only thing I have done to mine is put tru-glo sights on it and the only thing the master class shooter has done is to put a trigger kit in that shortens the reset.

I will agree that parts for a Glock are more plentiful but, the XD's are not far behind now with a lot of manufacturers making aftermarket triggers, barrels, and other parts for them.

In the end though, the decision is up to you as to what you, not to mention your wife, like. ;)

Edited by Classic_jon

The XD has been sold for less than 10 years, the glock 20+ years, so they have the time benefit on their side and that's about it in my opinion. There has been more than a million XD's brought in and the list of aftermarket parts has been increasing steadily. It's a three way race between Springfield, S&W, and glock, Springfield and S&W have been increasing market share while glock has been loosing it. I've built hundreds of XD's for competition and there will be hundreds more in the future. Run with the "black sheep"(wolf in sheep's clothing) so in 20+ years you can say I was there in the beginning picking off the sheep who followed the herd.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

The XD has been sold for less than 10 years, the glock 20+ years, so they have the time benefit on their side and that's about it in my opinion. There has been more than a million XD's brought in and the list of aftermarket parts has been increasing steadily. It's a three way race between Springfield, S&W, and glock, Springfield and S&W have been increasing market share while glock has been loosing it. I've built hundreds of XD's for competition and there will be hundreds more in the future. Run with the "black sheep"(wolf in sheep's clothing) so in 20+ years you can say I was there in the beginning picking off the sheep who followed the herd.

Rich

Then there's that pesky SP-01 ?? ;)

• 4 months later...

I currently shoot an XD40 in production, and do pretty well with it. The initial purchase of the XD was based on my preference of the grip ergonomics over the glocks. It has been a great gun and I am happy with it.

My shooting buddy recently bought a Glock 34 and I had the chance to shoot about a 100 rounds through the gun and I was very impressed with how much I liked the feel of the gun. It was very light, and balanced and was easy to shoot well.

After playing the game for some time now, I would go with the Glock, until they make an XDM with a longer barrel.

I shoot both the 9 and the 40 Tactical's one for steel the other for L10. I have been shooting for about a year or so and it's not the gun keeping me from being the next TGO.

I have shot a Glock 34 with a Vanek trigger and I now shoot an XD with a Canyon Creek trigger. For me the XD shoots and points better. I would recommend to try them out, maybe at your club and see which shoots and points better for you. If you do go with the XD, definitely get the trigger job done, and same for the glock.

• 1 month later...

Best decision I've made about my XD Tactical was to send it to Rich at Canyon Creek. Trigger job and replaced sights. Warren rear and a FO front. The guys I shoot with immediately saw a difference. Steel plate matches, IDPA, and USPSA production. Only time I have an issue is if I change something about my ammo. Now running an 18.5 recoil spring. My wienie loads were ok with a 16 lb. I'd like to get another Tactical and have the same work performed. Worth every cent.