Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have to admit, I use my Blackberry internet and e-mail quite a bit, and the iPad would be a quantum leap in capability....at a pretty reasonable price. Anybody planning on getting one?

I'm working with Apple on a big case right now. Maybe I should see if they'll comp me one (kidding!) :P

I'm generally anti anything Apple.

This I can see actually has functionality over hype. We've been looking for a small travel netbook - I'll definitely look at these. I'm hoping they have USB ports, I'd want to add a small keyboard when it's needed.

I'm generally anti anything Apple.

This I can see actually has functionality over hype. We've been looking for a small travel netbook - I'll definitely look at these. I'm hoping they have USB ports, I'd want to add a small keyboard when it's needed.

It looks like there's a dock that includes a full keyboard available.....

That said, it's only capable of doing one thing at a time, and ports/connectivity are limited, so a netbook might serve you better for multiple computing needs --- especially if you might need software that's not available from Apple....

I'm thinking it might be appealing as an alternative to the Kindle/Nook/Sony Book reader.....

Cool for trips -- ability to watch movies, read newspapers, magazines, and books, surf the web, etc.

That said, it's only capable of doing one thing at a time, and ports/connectivity are limited, so a netbook might serve you better for multiple computing needs --- especially if you might need software that's not available from Apple....

I'm thinking it might be appealing as an alternative to the Kindle/Nook/Sony Book reader.....

Cool for trips -- ability to watch movies, read newspapers, magazines, and books, surf the web, etc.

I'm with Nik. It is awfully large for the limited amount of functionality that it offers. I would stick with a Netbook. 3 months ago I purchased an ACER Aspire 1 netbook from Costco for $269.00. More functionality, lower price, smaller package, real keyboard. It has been flawless so far. I get a true 6-7 hours of use per charge as well. Based on what I have seen of it so far, I don't know what market this fills except for the "it's an Apple so I gotta have it and be seen with it" crowd.

I'm going to wait until they have some in my local Apple Store so I can see how good the display is for reading. If its good for reading then I will get one just as an e-reader. The other apps that are available are just an added bonus for me. I've been looking for a color reader for a while now as I read a lot of books.

Ipad= Giant Ipod with wifi. Nothing special

I'm with Nik. It is awfully large for the limited amount of functionality that it offers. I would stick with a Netbook. 3 months ago I purchased an ACER Aspire 1 netbook from Costco for $269.00. More functionality, lower price, smaller package, real keyboard. It has been flawless so far. I get a true 6-7 hours of use per charge as well. Based on what I have seen of it so far, I don't know what market this fills except for the "it's an Apple so I gotta have it and be seen with it" crowd.

I totally agree with those two statements. It's a giant Ipod. Whats different there?

What I like about a laptop / netbook is that you can close the screen, which protects it when not in use. What's gonna keep me from scratching the screen on this thing? Or worse yet .... cracking/breaking the screen? :surprise: How much is THAT to get fixed? I had a touch screen smart phone that had a cracked screen, and believe me I now worry like crazy about what might happen if I drop my phone. Something could easily happen to the iPad screen.

And dont forget the $499 iPad does NOT get you 3G (wi-fi only) and only has 16GB of memory. Having 3G mobile access will cost an extra $130 on each. The 64GB 3G model will cost you $829. Pretty pricey for a giant iPod.

I like my little Asus netbook. I get 8-9 hours of battery usage, it has a physical keyboard, wi-fi, bluetooth, 10" screen (same as the iPad), 3 x usb's, external vga port, SD card reader, and 160GB hard drive (not 64GB flash memory, which by the way is slower) Asus tried using 80GB flash drives, and found they were not as quick.

So I think I'll stick with my netbook for anything bigger than a smart phone.

We'll be seeing a whole lot of tablets soon, and I think I'll like others better. No multitasking, no easy file movement, tied to itunes, etc. I like my iphone but I want something more from a tablet. 

Hp and TOshiba both curretly have a standard laptop that comes in varios screen sizes that also swivel arround and then "become" tablet pc's so you get the standard and the tablet the cool this is you not tuned to I tunes and they have wifi and both can be on att or verizon or srpint air cards if you want mobile 3g. You get the best of both worlds and a choice of screen sizes and other features. If your going to spend that kind of money thats where I would look. If your a hardcore apple guy and thats why you would get the ipod tey getting one of those and then running like unbuntu a version of linux wich you can customize to look and feel very much like apple/mac OS. you can even get one for less than the suped up version of the ipad( wich to me sounds like something my wife needs once a month)

Just an option!

I for one will not be purchasing one of these. Its a large(er) iPod touch. If I am getting something in the cheap laptop\killer netbook price range. I want to listen to pandora while I read some email. This device will not allow me to do that. Here are some valid points on why the i(maxi)Pad sucks...

iPad

Also, how are Bostonians going to tell the difference between iPod and iPad?

great quote from a tech blog

"Steve Jobs announced the iPad, a new tablet computer from Apple. The iPad was made for people who want something expensive to buy that is smaller than a laptop, but larger than an iphone and does less than both. No, I don't know any people like that either.?

It's just a fancy etch-a-sketch, people....nothing else to see here.

:P

:D

For $500 bucks you can get yourself a library card, for free and get this...read books for free.

That's $500 that you could put towards buying bullets, instead.

:lol:

I have to admit, I use my Blackberry internet and e-mail quite a bit, and the iPad would be a quantum leap in capability....at a pretty reasonable price. Anybody planning on getting one?

I'm working with Apple on a big case right now. Maybe I should see if they'll comp me one (kidding!) :P

You need one for evidence, don't you?

Once you get past the new-Apple-gadget-cool-factor, it looks to me like they've either created an under powered laptop or a hard to carry iphone. Oh, wait, you can't make calls on it.

If it was a souped up iPhone for business, or a bonafide laptop with a touchscreen interface, I'd be tempted, but this looks like a gadget for people who already drank the koolaid to me.

If Apple is the Hi-Standard.....

Now, if you're used to buying entry-level PCs from second rate manufacturers, you might be on to something.....

I've worked on computers literally for over 15 years out of the 25 I've been alive.

Macs are much more user friendly and stable than PCs. And let us not forget what Windows was built to mimic. ;)