Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sight screen size

Hello: C-More slideride has the biggest screen and just work. I am using a Holosun 510C right now on my MPX and really like it. I tried the micro dots and the lenses are just too small for me. Micro size and slideride lens size would be perfect. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I primarilly (well, exclusively of late) shoot Steel Challenge and like RTS2 enough that I have 3 of them on three different guns.  Dots with similar size would be something like the DeltaPoint Pro, Slideride, RMR, etc.  I've previously owned the FastFire iii (similar in size to the C-More STS, Doctor, JPoint, etc.) and found that to be too small for my taste but workable if that's all you've got.  I also shot the TRS-25 for awhile and would never go back to it due to the thickness of the case walls, amongst other reasons.  I've also shot in competition a borrowed Vortex Strikefire and found it to be worse than the TRS-25.  Before worrying about window size (although an important consideration) my advice would be to prioritize first a large MOA dot (6moa or larger) that is bright, and then go with as thin a window frame as possible. You'll find that in Steel Challenge being able to track from one target to the next as fast as possible is pretty much a mini-description of the game, so keeping the dot glaringly visible along with the visual field as unobstructed as possible is key.  

On a side note, if you go with an RTS2, finding AR height mounts is extremely difficult but my shooting buddy makes and sells an excellent one. PM me, and I can get you his contact info.

I use a Venom on both my PCC and pistol. Helps with consistency. I don't really take the housing size as a consideration, I just look for the dot. That works for me best after trying different sights.

Different people use different ways to help with sight alignment. See if you can try some different setups to see what works best for you. 

6 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: C-More slideride has the biggest screen and just work. I am using a Holosun 510C right now on my MPX and really like it. I tried the micro dots and the lenses are just too small for me. Micro size and slideride lens size would be perfect. Thanks, Eric

Trijicon MRO glass is bigger.

I think another factor, as important as how big the screen is, is how much the scope obstructs your forward vision.  Having a very thin frame around the lens, that does not obstruct your peripheral vision is a good thing.  Many of the "tube sights" have nice lenses, but block a lot around the lens.

1 hour ago, L9X25 said:

I think another factor, as important as how big the screen is, is how much the scope obstructs your forward vision.  Having a very thin frame around the lens, that does not obstruct your peripheral vision is a good thing.  Many of the "tube sights" have nice lenses, but block a lot around the lens.

Adding to this and what I said earlier, if you’re only shooting SC with it where it will be babied and 1/100ths of a second matters, then keeping the view unobstructed is essential. If on the other hand you’re talking about a duty gun or even a 3 gun rifle that will get thrown in barrels, then you might consider compromising on a thicker frame for durability purposes and going with something like a Deltapoint, MRO, or Aimpoint Micro.  I wouldn’t throw my RTS2 around too much without worrying about shattering the glass.  

Edited by jkrispies
15 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I primarilly (well, exclusively of late) shoot Steel Challenge and like RTS2 enough that I have 3 of them on three different guns.  Dots with similar size would be something like the DeltaPoint Pro, Slideride, RMR, etc.  I've previously owned the FastFire iii (similar in size to the C-More STS, Doctor, JPoint, etc.) and found that to be too small for my taste but workable if that's all you've got.  I also shot the TRS-25 for awhile and would never go back to it due to the thickness of the case walls, amongst other reasons.  I've also shot in competition a borrowed Vortex Strikefire and found it to be worse than the TRS-25.  Before worrying about window size (although an important consideration) my advice would be to prioritize first a large MOA dot (6moa or larger) that is bright, and then go with as thin a window frame as possible. You'll find that in Steel Challenge being able to track from one target to the next as fast as possible is pretty much a mini-description of the game, so keeping the dot glaringly visible along with the visual field as unobstructed as possible is key.  

On a side note, if you go with an RTS2, finding AR height mounts is extremely difficult but my shooting buddy makes and sells an excellent one. PM me, and I can get you his contact info.

Surprised by this.  You like the RTS series better than a Railway on the rifles?  I am very curious to hear your feedback on this (comparing the two) as I am about to change from the Bushnell TRS-25 on my 15/22 and a heavy Aimpoint CompM3 on my PCC and thought the Railway was the standard.  As a matter of fact, was about to order one right now.  I made GM last season in both classes with the mentioned optics, but both have reached their boundaries in my opinion.  I am also starting RFPO this coming season and just put a Railway on the new 22/45 after trying a Venom for a short time.  When I put the Railway on after trying the venom, it seemed no contest as to ability to quickly obtain a sight picture, and when I tried it on the rifles I thought it was perfection.  I found the smaller window of the venom made it easier to lose the dot every once in a while.  Have not even tried a smaller reflex dot on a rifle, though have seen some guys with them.  And for what its worth, the TRS was absolutely hopeless on the pistol!

Edited by Hammer002
3 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

Surprised by this.  You like the RTS series better than a Railway on the rifles?  I am very curious to hear your feedback on this (comparing the two) as I am about to change from the Bushnell TRS-25 on my 15/22 and a heavy Aimpoint CompM3 on my PCC and thought the Railway was the standard.  As a matter of fact, was about to order one right now.  I made GM last season in both classes with the mentioned optics, but both have reached their boundaries in my opinion.  I am also starting RFPO this coming season and just put a Railway on the new 22/45 after trying a Venom for a short time.  When I put the Railway on after trying the venom, it seemed no contest as to ability to quickly obtain a sight picture, and when I tried it on the rifles I thought it was perfection.  I found the smaller window of the venom made it easier to lose the dot every once in a while.  Have not even tried a smaller reflex dot on a rifle, though have seen some guys with them.  And for what its worth, the TRS was absolutely hopeless on the pistol!

First off, I've never personally used the Railway but many of my shooting partners do so I've got a bit of experience with them but by proxy only.  There are shooters out there who are WAY better than me who go with the Railway over the RTS, so take my opinion as only that.  I don't think the Railway is a bad choice... and it IS the "Industry standard" by virtue of numbers out as well as length of service-- get one if that's your preference and it WILL serve you well.  

From those I know who own both the Railway and RTS, the feedback I've gotten is that the RTS is brighter (probably because the throw distance from light to lens is significantly shorter) and there's less parallax around the edges of the glass.  The Railway has the advantage of potentially larger MOA dot choices.  I believe the RTS is more lightweight... but I personally think that too much is made of "you have to be as lightweight as possible" so that's wash IMHO. The Railway is also less expensive.  There's a lot to be said for the Railway, so it probably does come down to personal preference.

As far as finding or losing the dot on the rifle, I'd say that if you're losing the dot on the long gun then the equipment issue might have more to do with stock fitment to your body (i.e., the comb is too high or low) than a dot issue.  Also, while the tacticool folks will tell you that you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to put the dot on the front of your receiver, especially with a dot that has a thin frame and smaller window try to get the dot as close to your eye as possible.  This will essentially give you a bigger field of view within the lens.  On my 10/22 I have a Kidd rail that has the picatinny which extends forward over the hand guard, and I literally reversed it so the rail now hangs backwards over the rear of the receiver, and that's where my RTS2 now resides, right up close to my eye.  On my PCC, the RTS2 is as close to the rear as my rail will allow, and I wish it was slightly closer.

5 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

Strike Industries makes this now to protect the micro sights. Looks good c2150be42269bf2fddb9c798a4e3a9d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit you got me excited until I saw that it's not compatible with C-More products.  I did send them an email asking if they had plans to manufacture one.

Hello: We have some really good steel challenge shooters around here. The dot size that they choose the most is a 6MOA. That dot size is great for small steel plates and is faster than the smaller size dot. I am not a world champion but that is what I was told by a couple of them. I would mount the dot where you can pick it up quickly. That could be closer to your eye or further down the rifle. You will have to see what works best for you. To answer you question about a riser, the same thing applies. You have to be able to see the dot quickly so if you need a riser get one or a stock that fits you better. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: We have some really good steel challenge shooters around here. The dot size that they choose the most is a 6MOA. That dot size is great for small steel plates and is faster than the smaller size dot. 

+1.  I've done very well with an 8moa on my RFRO, but I recently went with a 6moa on my PCC.  I have to say that I think I like the 6moa better on this rifle, but I've only shot it once in competition so far.  That one time felt great though...  except for when the mounting screws backed out from me not loc-tite'ing them in, thus resulting in my sight doing a jib on top of the gun and earning me 6 seconds in penalties before I figured out what was happening, LOL.  Note to self:  in future, finish your mock-up stage of the rifle build before competing with it...

Think my post wasn't clear - I only tried the Venom on the 22/45 pistol and had issues with losing the dot in transitions.  I hear this is normal from nearly everyone going to carry optics.  I never even considered the venom on the rifle.  Right now I have a 2moa full size Aimpoint on the PCC and would agree with the weight reference, as I have consistently shot my PCC better than the 15/22 in steel challenge, even if only slightly at times.  I like the extra weight, at least at this point in the game.  And this set up works well in USPSA matches as well.  I was surprised to hear the use of the small optic on the rifle cause of the smaller field of view.  Guess it is going to come down to personal preference.  Thanks for the response.

Think my post wasn't clear - I only tried the Venom on the 22/45 pistol and had issues with losing the dot in transitions.  I hear this is normal from nearly everyone going to carry optics.  I never even considered the venom on the rifle.  Right now I have a 2moa full size Aimpoint on the PCC and would agree with the weight reference, as I have consistently shot my PCC better than the 15/22 in steel challenge, even if only slightly at times.  I like the extra weight, at least at this point in the game.  And this set up works well in USPSA matches as well.  I was surprised to hear the use of the small optic on the rifle cause of the smaller field of view.  Guess it is going to come down to personal preference.  Thanks for the response.

The small optic works just fine on rifles because as jkrispies said, your eye and rifle are in alignment the entire time. The limiting factor is exactly as he said, the frame thickness of the housing interfering with target acquisition, so thinner is better. I shoot a railway 8moa on my PCC and a RTS2 6moa on my rimfire rifle and they are both perfect for me. I could use the RTS2 on both but damn those little guys are spendy, and I'd have to also add the riser to my PCC to get to the needed height with an RTS2.

With regard to the Strike Industries protective mount, I would never use it
In Steel Challenge since it adds crap that obstructs my peripheral vision and lowers target acquisition speed. For USPSA I still use the same sights, but I'm careful placing them in the barrel so I don't worry about damage. If I was tossing my rifle in the barrel from two feet away I'd look for a more resilient sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 hour ago, Hammer002 said:

Okay, understood now.  If you still have the Venom and you're looking for an optic for the rifle, you might want to consider trying the Venom on the long gun before purchasing a new Railway.  I suspect you'll like it, and it will save you some $$$.