Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similarities between CZ's and Sphinxes

EatsEverything

I read about someone using CZ magazines in their Sphinx SDP. They seemed top have no trouble with it. Are the CZ magazines supposed to be compatible with the Sphinx SDP?

$21 for the Mec-Gars would be a lot nicer than the $50ish price tag I've seen on Sphinx magazines.

Are there other parts that are interchangeable, like sights?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a sphinx and have not shot it yet. DA is stiff and I am use to shooting a Sig. SA is sweet very smooth and short. The gun grip is unbelievable. It is the first finger grooved grip that actually fits. The Mags are made by Mec- Gar. Some CZ mags are suppose to fit. I just bought 3 extra mags $40 each. Not sure but it looks like maybe the sights will be hard to change. Given that they seem real good. I hope to shoot it soon.

I have a Sphinx SDP and a CZ SP-01. The 18rd factory CZ mag works with the Sphinx but after running a few mags through the Sphinx I realized it rubs the finish off of the CZ mags slightly in two small spots. Not a deal breaker for me but just fyi. When I purchased the Sphinx we tested a 16rd CZ Mag just to see if it fit, and it did as well. The 75 compact mag wasn't quite tall enough to seat. In my new purchase / Sphinx euphoria I bought 3 factory Sphinx mags (Mec Gar) for $54 per which obviously wasn't deal of the century material but I am very happy with the Sphinx and have carried it for the last 2 weeks. I think you'll be fine with Mec Gars meant for the 75. Best of luck.

Hi Guys,

Joe here from Kriss USA. While CZ Mags and clone mags may work. Please check that the magazine when inserted clears the Ejector.

Sphinx Mag in Sphinx SDP Duotone

CZ75 16rd. Magazine

CZ75 10rd Magazine

As you can see, because of the variations on the rear of the magazine(some have a rounded/half circle rear, while others are squared off). The gap between the magazine feedlips and the ejector are extremely close, some magazines will make contact with the ejector causing wear to the underside of the ejector.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have about our product, and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Best regards,

-Joe

post-56067-0-69548200-1411507559_thumb.j

post-56067-0-24874400-1411507564_thumb.j

post-56067-0-52452600-1411507570_thumb.j

Edited by FrontSightGoesWhere

When will the full size, steel SDP be available? I would ask the same of the Standard Model 3000, but was informed that these are no longer in production, correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, when will the Sphinx Custom Shop be available? I want a full size, preferably Model 3000, but SDP will do, with DA/SA and safety, not decocker. Full ambi controls.

I am interested in the Production Doutone for USPSA Production division. Any idea on availability and when it will be approved by USPSA for production.

As for custom shop. David at CGW is working with Kriss on development of custom work for the Sphinx. David feels based on the alloy version of the production they sent him that it will head over hills better than the Shadow.

I am excited :cheers:

When is the sphinx 3000 production division gun going to be available here in the U.S.?

• The Sphinx 3000 while a phenomenal gun is no longer being produced and has very limited support in the US.

When will the full size, steel SDP be available?

• We have no set date for the all steel, full size Sphinx SDP at this moment. We are trying to have all 9mm Sphinx SDP variants by the end of this year.

I would ask the same of the Standard Model 3000, but was informed that these are no longer in production, correct me if I'm wrong.

• You are correct.

Finally, when will the Sphinx Custom Shop be available? I want a full size, preferably Model 3000, but SDP will do, with DA/SA and safety, not decocker. Full ambi controls.

• Soon enough :)

I am interested in the Production Doutone for USPSA Production division.

• See above for answer to all-steel variant release date.

When it will be approved by USPSA for production.

• As soon as we have the variants and I verify the numbers they will be submitted to USPSA. Same thing with IDPA also,

As for custom shop. David at CGW is working with Kriss on development of custom work for the Sphinx. David feels based on the alloy version of the production they sent him that it will head over hills better than the Shadow.

I am excited :cheers:

• David at CGW is a great guy and we are super excited about the work he's doing (well I am :bow: ). Can't wait until his spring kit comes out!

More questions that I didn't get answers to from Tim at marketing.

So I know that the Standard Model 3000 was expensive because no part was MIM. Everything was CNC machined, and then the gun was put together by hand and hand fitted. I liked the 3000 because of zero MIM parts and could justify the price. Tim mentioned to me that with the SDP, Kriss found a way to manufacture the guns in a more efficient manner, bringing down the cost. He didn't elaborate exactly on what that meant. I'm just going to assume that many pieces are now MIM. Is that correct?

Basically, to me, the 3000 was the Rolls Royce of CZ clones. Fun tidbit. I read somewhere that Angus Hobdell himself would shoot a Sphinx if he could. That speaks volumes of the quality of a Sphinx.

So I know that the Standard Model 3000 was expensive because no part was MIM. Everything was CNC machined, and then the gun was put together by hand and hand fitted. I liked the 3000 because of zero MIM parts and could justify the price. Tim mentioned to me that with the SDP, Kriss found a way to manufacture the guns in a more efficient manner, bringing down the cost. He didn't elaborate exactly on what that meant. I'm just going to assume that many pieces are now MIM. Is that correct?

• That is incorrect, There are NO MIM parts used in the Sphinx SDP pistol. Every single part in the Sphinx SDP that is not a spring, plastic, or rubber is Machined from billet/CNC machined. The same folks and the same people that made the Sphinx 3000 are making the Sphinx SDP out of the same factory in Matten.

I'll go into more detail in the next post on the price change and it will all makes sense. Get your popcorn ready!

• That is incorrect, There are NO MIM parts used in the Sphinx SDP pistol. Every single part in the Sphinx SDP that is not a spring, plastic, or rubber is Machined from billet/CNC machined. The same folks and the same people that made the Sphinx 3000 are making the Sphinx SDP out of the same factory in Matten.

I'll go into more detail in the next post on the price change and it will all makes sense. Get your popcorn ready!

Dear God, thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I love CZs, but I love the Sphinx for being more than a refined CZ. I especially like that the SDP is a locking breach as opposed to a locking lug design, since I've personally seen worn locking lugs on one of my firearms after about 18,000 rounds. I like attention to detail and fit and finish. I cannot speak enough praises of my full size Accu-shadow, but my grail gun has always been a Sphinx. The Accu is just in second place for me, and I conceal carry it regularly. Maybe an appropriate analogy since both have Swiss pedigree, but a Sphinx to me is like a fine Swiss watch.

I just hope Kriss manufactures steel framed, full sized ones too, though I wouldn't mind a titanium framed one either, However, my preference is steel.

Tim did mention that the Sphinx Custom Shop would be great for discerning customers. I can't wait to place an order.

Wow, thanks for the answers, Joe!

My question is probably more rhetorical than not, but "Why can't we have all these awesome Sphinxes here before the end of the year?" Damn you, California handgun roster.

Got any tips for getting a duo-tone compact SDP before the end of the year? I figure the SSE door will close before the full sized ones come out.

My question is probably more rhetorical than not, but "Why can't we have all these awesome Sphinxes here before the end of the year?" Damn you, California handgun roster.

• If anything is causing a delay, It would be our Quality Control, we are making sure that whatever firearms we release are up to OUR standards and the expectations of the end-user. At the price point we are selling Sphinx pistols, they better be flawless as far as fit and finish.

Got any tips for getting a duo-tone compact SDP before the end of the year? I figure the SSE door will close before the full sized ones come out.

• They sold out alot faster than expected, I didn't even have a chance to purchase one myself, they sold out that quick. Waiting on word on when the next batch will be inbound.

Dear God, thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I love CZs, but I love the Sphinx for being more than a refined CZ. I especially like that the SDP is a locking breach as opposed to a locking lug design, since I've personally seen worn locking lugs on one of my firearms after about 18,000 rounds. I like attention to detail and fit and finish. I cannot speak enough praises of my full size Accu-shadow, but my grail gun has always been a Sphinx. The Accu is just in second place for me, and I conceal carry it regularly. Maybe an appropriate analogy since both have Swiss pedigree, but a Sphinx to me is like a fine Swiss watch.

I just hope Kriss manufactures steel framed, full sized ones too, though I wouldn't mind a titanium framed one either, However, my preference is steel.

Tim did mention that the Sphinx Custom Shop would be great for discerning customers. I can't wait to place an order.

• Alright here is pretty much what happend. As we all know the Sphinx 3000 is known for its great fit, finish, and attention to detail. It is also considered a Mass Production Gun, it's just that our tolerances, fit and finish are extremely high. As expected, the price point of these firearms are also high(usually starting at around $2500 and going up from there). This price point is pretty prohibitive entry point for alot of shooters. Well there is a reason for the price being that high. If you know how are pistol's are constructed, our pistol's are made to be modular and have three seperate components. 1. Slide (which will always be made of steel). 2. Our upper frame (which can be made of Steel, Aluminum, or Titanium). 3. Our lower frame/grip (which can be made of Steel, Aluminum, or Tiitanium). Those same components are also available in various sizes, upper frame can be in compact, full length, and extended length. The grip/lower frame was available in different lengths and capacities. Also various finishes, calibers(9mm, 9x21, .38 Super, 10mm Auto, etc.) and actions(SA, DA/SA, DAO) were also offered. Well there in lies the issue. When you offer that much customization in a pistol, every single pistol becomes a custom order. There is no way for mass production to be accomplished when you can have in excess of 15000 possible combination of configurations.
  • So this is what was decided, we limit the amount of models available to the market. We maintain the same amount of quality by limiting the variations available and are then able to produce the same pistols on a larger scale. An added bonus to this was when we made the lower portion out of polymer. All of this translates to the savings being passed on to the end-user. Our pistol is a steal at its pricepoint for anybody remotely familiar with machining and manufacturing processes. Some people will be able to appreciate our pistol, and the workmanship that goes into crafting such a firearm. Others it will be lost upon, but there are firearms that are better suited toward them.
  • Like I mentioned previously, the same folks and machinery that were cranking out the Sphinx 3000 are now building the Sphinx SDP series.

Hope this answered alot of questions. The Kriss Arms Group has ALOT of exciting projects coming down the line! Be sure to keep an eye on us.

Thanks for the insight on Sphinx manufacturing. I'm guessing that the Sphinx Custom Shop will cater to the end user that wants to configure the SDP outside of what is standard configuration? For example, full size, steel upper, steel lower, steel grip with finger grooves, extended barrel, da/sa with safety and full ambi controls including ambi slide release, front/rear trits, Robar NP3+ coating.

Sorry OP for some of us hijacking your post.

My question was answered quite definitively by post #4. I'm glad this has turned into an impromptu KRISS USA AMA thread.

Hope this answered alot of questions. The Kriss Arms Group has ALOT of exciting projects coming down the line! Be sure to keep an eye on us.

Thanks! I'm really excited to see where you go with this.

It sounds like the manufacturing process would allow for parts to be swapped in and out of a Sphinx SDP as desired.

For instance, could I start off with a Compact Alpha and switch out for a steel upper and lower later on, basically Frankensteining a Duo-Tone?

Would that even be legal? It looks like your upper has a serial number stamped on it, along with the barrel.

Joe, I'd appreciate it if you let us know when the SDP Production starts shipping to dealers for sale . . . Maybe even which dealers if possible.

Also, any projected msrp yet?

Thanks,

Zack

So does SDP Production model for real has 6.1# DA and 3.3# SA trigger pull?

Is front sight removable or its part of the slide?

Front site has a dovetail just like a CZ. I'm not sure if there's a screw that retains the front sight for the SDP though.

Look carefully at the front fiber optic sight in this pic. You can see the dovetail.

sphinx_sdp_311011.jpg

Edited by ftjandra

When can we expect the Sphinx SDP full length and extended length to be available in the U.S.? I have been seeing the compact SDP for some time now. Hopefully it's soon.

• See Post #8 for All-Steel, Mid-November (tenative date) for Alloy Variant(Sphinx SDP Black Full Size). Extended Length, (not available in any market),no release date.
  • All of these release date are tenative and subject to change.

Thanks for the insight on Sphinx manufacturing. I'm guessing that the Sphinx Custom Shop will cater to the end user that wants to configure the SDP outside of what is standard configuration? For example, full size, steel upper, steel lower, steel grip with finger grooves, extended barrel, da/sa with safety and full ambi controls including ambi slide release, front/rear trits, Robar NP3+ coating.

• Pretty much have it spot on!

Thanks! I'm really excited to see where you go with this.

It sounds like the manufacturing process would allow for parts to be swapped in and out of a Sphinx SDP as desired.

For instance, could I start off with a Compact Alpha and switch out for a steel upper and lower later on, basically Frankensteining a Duo-Tone?

Would that even be legal? It looks like your upper has a serial number stamped on it, along with the barrel.

• The upper frame is what is considered the firearm since that is where the serial number is located. That portion of the pistol remains the same and everything else can be changed.
  • Parts would still have to be developed and checked to ensure that certain swaps would still work. ie: full size slide on compact upper frame, etc.

Joe, I'd appreciate it if you let us know when the SDP Production starts shipping to dealers for sale . . . Maybe even which dealers if possible.

Also, any projected msrp yet?

• I'll make a note to post up when they should be shipping.
  • When they become available, you should have your local dealer pre-order. There is a dealer locator located on our website.

• Yes, that is the trigger pull weight.
  • Yes, the front sight is removable. Set screw at rear of front sight base, slides out the front of the slide.

Front site has a dovetail just like a CZ. I'm not sure if there's a screw that retains the front sight for the SDP though.

Look carefully at the front fiber optic sight in this pic. You can see the dovetail.

sphinx_sdp_311011.jpg

That is not a regular fiberoptic sight, that is our Defiance HALO fiber/tritium Hybrid sight.

http://www.defiance-ops.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=335

Available on the international market, pending NRC(Nuclear Regulatory Commission) approval still for use here in the states.